Is it safe exploring dirt roads?

While I see moving to Mexico as quite an adventure, once I get settled in I can see that I will want to explore the surrounding areas. So, pertaining to the areas around Guanajuato, SMA and Queretaro, how safe is it to camp and explore the back roads? Just as safe as any other place or more questionable?

JulianDave wrote:

While I see moving to Mexico as quite an adventure, once I get settled in I can see that I will want to explore the surrounding areas. So, pertaining to the areas around Guanajuato, SMA and Queretaro, how safe is it to camp and explore the back roads? Just as safe as any other place or more questionable?

Given the instability of some areas following the earthquakes, and increased cartel activities I wouldn't recommend it. It would be best to keep you explorations in populated areas. Down unpaved dirt roads is frequently not safe. There is a reason no one has bothered to pave them.

My wife and I have travelled Mexico including more remote areas but that was in the early 90's till 2001. Since then, especialy after the election of President Calderon 2006, it's better to stay on the beaten tracks, that advice was given to me buy an ex federal police and also a friend (retired provincial police officer) from Canada.

But if you have close mexican friends that know areas for a special outing like we do in our little area of La Peñita de Jaltemba go do it.

Adios y buen viaje seguro, GyC.

I would not hesitate to explore back roads but I would not camp in isolated areas. Highway 110 from Guanajuato city to Dolores Hidalgo takes you to 9000 feet, through beautiful pine forests.

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

I would not hesitate to explore back roads but I would not camp in isolated areas. Highway 110 from Guanajuato city to Dolores Hidalgo takes you to 9000 feet, through beautiful pine forests.

Hi, I agree back roads are OK,  dirt roads are something else.

Yes, highway 110 is splendid.

Adios, GyC.

I appreciate all of your replies. It looks like something I'll have to be cautious about. To be honest, there seems to be plenty of on-road areas to explore, so by the time I work through all those maybe I'll have a better idea of where else to go.