Japan's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Japan? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Japan's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Japan would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Tokyo is the most expensive although it depends on what part of Tokyo you plan to live.
Central Tokyo districts of Minato-Ku,Shibuya,and its vcinities are more expensive.
Surbabs are more affordable.

I lived in a rented house in a suburb of Kyoto city for quite a few years. Apart from the rent, I didn't find it too expensive. In fact, public transport was cheaper than in England and better and more efficient. Shopping in general was reasonable too.

I live in Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture!! I LOVE it, but it is very expensive. The land prices are very expensive, thus houses, shopping, most everything is more expensive than other parts of Japan. It is super safe! Not hardly any crime. The police get to know the residents so they really watch and patrol. Lots of cameras too, so if somebody does something, they will probably get caught quickly!

It is a very unique town....population of about 20,000 residents! Tourists come by the hundreds of thousands though, from the entire world. I have met people here that I could never meet anywhere else. I've met movie stars in the grocery store, several Olympians including Gold medalists (partied with them), writers, billionaires, seen the Emperor and Empress up close several times, and become true friends with people from all over the world. It is such a great place. We respect, love, have total tolerance for various points of views, no prejudices, and an appreciation of all peoples from various cultures and religions. The United Nations could learn from us!

I've lived in Japan for 23 years. I hope to live here for the rest of my life! I'm so blessed!!