Registering a birth in the Seychelles

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in the Seychelles? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in the Seychelles?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello,

I just registered a birth recently. It's very easy. At the hospital you get a certificate/confirmation of the birth which you bring to the civil status office on Mahe.

You need your ID/Passport and if registering the father as well, he needs to be there and bring his identification with him too. You also need 2 witnesses for the act. The whole thing takes about 10-15 min. I think you need to do this up to 21 days after birth, but it's best you get it done when leaving the hospital.

You then get a handwritten birth certificate. With this, you can get the ID Card for your baby if one of the parents are Seychellois or if the parents are Residents. Most embassys / consulates need the A4 version though which you need to request separately. You will need to bring a 50 Rupee stamp with you.

I registered the birth of my child in my home country through the consulate. They told me which documents I need. They did the rest. Because the father of my child is Seychellois, it now has dual citizenship. But if both parents are non-Seychellois the child will NOT just get citizenship of Seychelles through the act of birth.

Cheers!