English teacher wages

Good evening,
I am currently living in Northern  Brazil in the state of Sergipe. I am starting to lay the foundation to become a private English teacher since I am the only native English speaker here. It is in high demand but I need an idea on what to charge. One  hour, for a small group or large group and also monthly. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know know about your area, but in the cities outside São Paulo R$50/p hour is a good starting rate......In demand teachers are known to go as high as R$100 + in the Capital.....but in the North of Brazil you going to struggle to charge that....

Thank you Steve for the fast response. Very helpful information

I would say that you have to tailor your price for your area. It's not going to be 1 size fits all.
You shave have different prices for different levels

Thank you for the information

I'm a private English tutor living in a city about an hour from Sao Paulo. However, I don't teach conversational English: I only teach TOEFL and SAT prep to college-bound foreign students. (My students are sons and daughters of foreign business executives temporarily stationed in Brazil, and all of my students attend a local, private American school.)

As others have mentioned, rates will vary depending on the area in which you live and the demand for your services. In my city, these days, I hear that even non-native English speakers, such as Brazilians, are charging R$ 100-120 per hour if the classes are held at the student's home. Also, I personally know of some native English speakers who are charging R$ 150-200 per hour.

Thank you for your reply. I started out teaching a friends family since they are moving to Canada and now everyone here wants to learn since I am the only native  speaker. By trade I am a engineer but having flexible hours and a better purpose driven life suits me better.

Hello - if I understand you correctly, there is a need for people who are native English speakers to help Brazilians to speak English better and construct their phrases more accurately, Is that the case?
I just started studying Portuguese at UFPA; I speak competent Spanish and that is how I am communicating with my friends here. I would like to meet more expats who know Belem better.
Matt

That is correct mediator guy.  A native English speaker is in high demand in Brazil from my experience. One reason is they learn the correct pronunciations with the proper accent.  I have just starated this endeavour and thoroughly enjoying. Also I have found word of mouth travels faster than social media here. Best of luck on learning Portuguese. It was very difficult for me to become fluent. Stay positive and keep asking questions so you will become more prepared each day. Three of the tools I used that helped tremendously with learning portuguese was Babbel.com,  easyportuguese.com, and duolingo. Feel free to ask all that's needed for comfort of mind. Boa noite.

Cejames wrote:

That is correct mediator guy.  A native English speaker is in high demand in Brazil from my experience. One reason is they learn the correct pronunciations with the proper accent.  I have just started this endeavour and thoroughly enjoying. Also I have found word of mouth travels faster than social media here. Best of luck on learning Portuguese. It was very difficult for me to become fluent. Stay positive and keep asking questions so you will become more prepared each day. Three of the tools I used that helped tremendously with learning portuguese was Babbel.com,  easyportuguese.com, and duolingo. Feel free to ask all that's needed for comfort of mind. Boa noite.

There is a need, BUT....I found in Sao Paulo anyway....they don't exactly role out the red carpet for Native speakers...and a lot of students, especially beginners are shy to have a Native teacher....really.....If you going to be a native teacher you gotta be good, know all your grammar backwards.....and know HOW to teach....the industry has gotten a bad rep here from Natives who are not teachers, thinking they know everything and can teach....teaching is a skill to be developed...

I find that Brazilians are better teaching the beginners courses and then have the natives teach them from then on. I only teach conversation English and charge around R$100-120 an hour. It's not my only source of income so I am picky on who I take in. Teaching online is a better option. Pays decent and you save a bunch by not having traveling expenses. Usually pays $22-25 USD an hour.

Depends on where you are and what hustling you do to get students. Outside of SP and Rio the English schools pay garbage and it's not worth it at all. Teach private lessons in students home and/or find a teaching gig online.

Sorry to hear. I have been treated with the upmost respect here. I even had the Principal of one school take me to twork other schools to pass out cards and posters.
  I agree the student is only as good as the  teacher and the teacher needs to continuously prepare the lessons for the type of students learning. So if  there is no teaching background in the past then it is advisable to get the TEFL certificate.

Thank you for getting back to me Cejames; I gather you don't live in Belem.

Matt

Good advice; thank you. In the states, my sister, fluent in Spanish, teaches ESL. She will provide me with lesson plans.

Excellent advice - thank you.

Hi there I live in Avare SP, my rates a 300 per calendar month, which includes all hols days, that's for 2 hours per week