Perpetual tourists note: got 30 day visa - discretion of "interviewer"

I am what is sometimes called a "perpetual tourist", I simply exit CR every 90 days and return with another 90 day visa. Yesterday that ended, at least for now, when I was given a 30 day visa; no appeal, the discretion of the "interviewer" as to whether the visa is for 30, 60, or 90 days.

I know others to whom this has happened, but a rude first for me.
Of what use is power if it cannot be abused?

No real reason for not having done the residency thing - just the hassle.

If one has many pages of CR entrance/exit stamps, have a back up plan if only 30 days is given.

Bill

Hopefully this was just a migracion office who dislikes gringos.

Please post back here at your next excursion and let us know how it goes. Hopefully this isn't part of a new cracking down policy. I am not a perpetual tourist but I know many people who are and I'd hate for them to start having problems. It makes no sense because most perpetual tourists contribute quite a bit to the Costa Rican economy; I dare say more so than many Ticos.

Please send me a email [email protected] we have lots of questions. We want to obtain rentista status and need info on how to do it. Whats are some of the better area's to live in with large expat populations, near nice beach.We want to rent a fully furnished apartment/house/condo for somewhere around $750 US/mo,  it doesn't have to be fancy but prefer a safe area with easy access to grocery/drug stores/doctors, We need advice on immigration office/trusted real estate service agency/lawyers/doctors etc.. Please help us as we are going to do this for sure in the next 2 months, any address's or phone numbers would be appreciated.

Bill - PLEASE share the WHOLE story.  Where did you re-enter from?

Did you have the now MANDATORY PROOF that you were LEAVING CR again within 90 days - with a ticket - say a bus ticket - WITH a DATE ON IT??  On open-ended ticket is NOT proof that you are leaving within 90 days.

NOT dated 15 days from now or even 50 days as some are getting written in their passport the date that ticket states.

You are from the U.S., Canada or Europe (the ONLY people I believe that get a 90-day stamp.  ALL others are just 30 days).

ALL of the people I have met/talked to (& that is a LOT) that got a 30-day stamp either had NO departing ticket (fools as I DO believe it's posted at all points of departure/re-entry into Costa Rica.  I KNOW it is at the Nicaragua border) or an open-ended ticket.

Also, MY OBSERVATION has been the only people I know that this has happened to HAVE been Americans.  Could it be that they're not happy with how HARD the U.S. Government is making it for Tico's to visit the U.S.??  I wouldn't blame them if there was some hard feelings could you?

I faithfully leave every 89 days (don't want to take a chance) & now I've been going to Nicaragua for the past 2 years & I ALWAYS bring treats (candy, gum . . .) to "Share" with all the guards, etc. so they're getting to know me.  I'm also REALLY sweet/all smiley with them (though I don't speak lots of Spanish but I laugh at my own VicLish [a funnier version of Spanglish]).  I find being SUPER NICE goes a LONG way (& it keeps me feelin' POSITIVE - even in challenging times!).

I look forward to a more detailed/FULLER explanation.

am running, in brief
yes US, yes 90 day bus ticket
the official looked at the passport pages and said "I think you are living here, I will give you a 30 day visa."
and that was it, spoke with several people in the office (Paso Canoas) and was repeatedly told it is the discretion of the official
period

I'm now in the super hassle of getting the required residence docs w/o going back to the states.

more in 5 days if you need it

Bill

Anyone who has had troubles has been coming through Paso Canoas, at least in the stories I have heard. When my fiancé (Tico) and I went through Paso Canoas, we had his sister who lives in Panama help us through to avoid any hassles. Yes, even Ticos have hassles at that border.

Good luck Bill.

Hey, thanks everyone, for these reports!
I am not a perpetual tourist but might have to be for a short while when I do finally move to Costa Rica. So this info is VERY valuable, and I am also glad this forum is not HOSTILE to perpetual tourists, as at least one other forum I know, is.

RonS,
BillA if you are thinking of getting Residency in Cost Rica it is a long process. We have been in this journey for 5 months now and have just turned it over to our attorney, to file our application as Pensionado Residency. If you would like the info on required documents and over all procedure e-mail me and will send to you. It is a very detailed process. To be sure I am not a lawyer or any other official so all info should be checked by yourself. This has taken me some time to compile and am still waiting for my Costa Rica attorney to verify all my documents are correct and complete. I do not usually reply to blogs or forums but read this and wanted to reply and help if possible. This has been a long and tedious effort and would have been helpful had we had someone or some place to get all this info. Have found most info on various sites incomplete as to not having all necessary info on documentation, authentication and notarizing that is required. Just to list a few your home states Secretary of state, Costa Rica Embassy that is responsible for your home state. USA Embassy in Costa Rica, your home town police department (cory report)valid for only 6 months. This is just some of the detail that is required to apply for residency here in Costa Rica. Good luck and if you want more info please let me know by e-mail and will help any way I can. Ron

Hi and welcome on the forum Ron :)

Thank you for your contribution! Don't hesitate to share your experiences on the forum.

Regards
Armand

first things first - Thanks Ron, I will be sending you an e-mail and also starting a new thread on the "residency" topic so as not to unduly muddy the perpetual tourist visa issue. But first I need to do my homework so at least I understand the words.

I am now back at the computer after a 3 day bus trip to SJ and back to Drake; that means 2 days on the road and one in SJ - there is nothing but nothing that I like about SJ, my first trip back in almost 2 years.

sg
What did I not tell you? The official was a young pudgy guy with a white T shirt and a little yellow folded ribbon over his heart. A xxxxx?? (I'm 65, in England when I was in school they were xxxx.) I'm not that kinda guy so perhaps that was the issue?? (lol,a white T shirt - it would have dirt, food, beer, or blood on it in 2 hours; white does not work for me)

erin
You may be quite correct, I have only one experience outside of Paso Canoas. I was using a Panamanian fixer and we drove in Panama to the crossing near San Vito to go out and back in for the 90 day visa. Other times a fixer would say "wait 3 or 4 hours for the shift change, my friend will be working then".
???

sam
If you get locked into this, have an alternate plan. I no longer even have a ticket back to the US, nor do I wish to go there.

There will be more on this as in 2 weeks I'll be back on the bus going south, but now my Tracopa tickets are only good for 60 days. Of course I could buy new tickets - but if I'm only going to get a 30 day visa why bother??
fun, fun, fun

Bill

PC edit

BillA wrote:

sg
A queer?? (I'm 65, in England when I was in school they were fags.)
Bill

Now we call them "people"

I understand Julie, what do they call us?
Appreciate that I'm trying to understand why I got a 30 day visa.

Bill

edit: ah yes I recall, from my SF days (I'm from SF) - breeders

Ya'll DO realize there is NOTHING in the law (old & I believe even the new pending one) that mentions ANYTHING about "perpetual tourists" - JUST like there is NOTHING in ANY law for Immigrations - now or before - that says we must be out of the country for 72 hours (ONLY the Aduana/Customs Paper) si? 

We've asked over & over including to "associations" that specialize in residency to prove otherwise & STILL - in the 7 years I've been around - NO ONE has been able to show otherwise (I was given this information from a friend that is an Immigration COP & asked at the Immigration Jail [where we donate sweatsuits] & so far, no one's been put in there for not being out of CR for 72 hours).

sg
correct, and they will tell you just the same in Paso Canoas
a same day in-and-out is perfectly ok
(must be out 48 hrs foe the duty free exemption though, otherwise 2 or 3 bottles of booze)

- BUT they will also tell one that it is the discretion of the "interviewing official" as to whether a 30, 60, or 90 day visa will be given, a part of the "new law" so I have been told

no apparent formal policy, just lets petty bureaucrats act like such

Bill

Okay, wait... I am totally pro-perpetual tourism (when necessary) so don't take this as otherwise.

But I have heard stories (I have no proof but I've heard stories from several people on forums) that some people have indeed been kicked out of the country and told they could not return for 10 years due to having been found out as perpetual tourists.

Are these stories lies, or misinformation, then?

sam
I have not heard of such, and it could have happened to me. I gave my passport to some friends thinking it would just be stamped, but CR seized it and I had to run to Paso Canoas to retrieve it; I could indeed have been deported. Got a formal letter and a lecture.

The Argentinean parents of some friends just got 30 day visas, and they had no 'prior history' at all. For those going south, go to San Vito; it seems that Paso Canoas is the problem.

Bill

I just went to Paso Canoas yesterday March 30 and I had an onward ticket for Jun 11 and the lady gave me only a 30 day visa! I didnt notice until I walked away.  Some people are telling me it doesnt matter since US automatically gets a 90 day visa so even if they only write 30 days you still have the right to 90 days.  Does anyone know if it is true?

Also, do you think I could get away with making the 3 into an 8 so I would have 80 day visa???

no, not true
visa periods are 30, 60 and 90 days
having said that I know of a CR immigration official who changed the 3 to an 8 (after a huge sob story, not by me)
- US citizens may be given a 90 visa, it is not a "right"; I know someone who got a 20 day visa!!
I suspect its in the computer as 30, if you change it be prepared to go home

-> note that you were not eligible for a 90 day visa - Jun 11 ???

Bill

Hello Drake:

The same things happened to me the other day but I have not visited Costa Rica very long and was here just 90 days.  I went to Panama for a week with family and was surprised to learn that they only stamped 30 days on my return visa.

I talked to my lawyer and he said 90 days, immigration says 30 days???  Is Paso Canoas the problem?

I have a Canadian Passport and assumed 90 days was standard, as that is what I read.

Euroman

Euroman
What was the date on your exit ticket (back to Canada I presume)?
Some have said that 'open' tickets are a problem, but the Tracopa tickets are always open.

I am led to believe the 'problem' is in Paso Canoas.
I must return tomorrow to renew my visa, but can get at most 60 days now as my Tracopa SJ-David ticket has only 60 days remaining. I could buy a new ticket, but why bother if I'm only going to get 30 days.

I will talk with the local 'fixers' and see if there is a workaround. Once I exited CR and entered Panama at Paso Canoas, then drove for an hour to the San Vito crossing to exit Panama and reenter CR with a 90 day visa - for $150 (and no bus ticket required, saving $30).

Will update when I return.

Bill

Just came back from Panama through Paso Canoas had no trouble and received 90 day visa.Drove my own car which has Costa Rican plates.

Our family (2 adults, 3 children) just went through Paso Canoas - as we have for the last 2 years - leaving every 90 days...and all got 90 day stamps...except my youngest...whom they didn't write in the # of days. We always travel by Tracopa. Just FYI.

Kendra

I started a new thread for my last trip - 90 day visa given
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=74791

Bill

I just did a visa run to Paso Canoas today. Took 3 minutes, no bus ticket, 90 days, no problem. It was early this morning, about 8am, the girl at migration was talking on her cell phone, scanned my passport, and hit it with the stamp. Been doing this for 5 years. Never less than 90 days (knock on wood) I think all the stories about perpetual tourists being deported is a crock. If you keep your nose clean you shouldn't have any problems.
Pura Vida

Did you show your expediente information, showing that you have applied for residency? Having this means you no longer have to leave the country except to keep your drivers license 'legal', although the time given to you,  is still at the discretion of the immigrations agent.

kohlerias wrote:

Did you show your expediente information, showing that you have applied for residency? Having this means you no longer have to leave the country except to keep your drivers license 'legal', although the time given to you,  is still at the discretion of the immigrations agent.

If they showed that and still got only 30 days, then that's really effed up! Must have been an expat hating Tico...