Shopping at New Market _ Dhaka

I'm planning to go shopping at the New Market. However, I do not have much experience there

Would like to know the general price for Jeans (for both men and women), T shirt, wide tube pants (for wearing at home), shirt, underwear...

Do I need to bargain with them and how is the trick to bargain there?

Can people speak English?

Cheers!!!

nglmthu wrote:

I'm planning to go shopping at the New Market. However, I do not have much experience there

Would like to know the general price for Jeans (for both men and women), T shirt, wide tube pants (for wearing at home), shirt, underwear...

Do I need to bargain with them and how is the trick to bargain there?

Can people speak English?

Cheers!!!

By Now you might have visited Dhaka New Market,
My experience was quiet good. I was looking for Sarees there. The shop Keepers entertained me well and were friendly. They explained the kinds of Sarees and inquired what i was looking for.

The prices inside the Dhaka market are better compared to the rest of the city, and they get sweeter the deeper you go. Also don't go for it when they say they have a fixed price. Everything there is to be Haggled/Bargained for. I find that you should start from 1/3rd or Half of the price they ask you and then come up from there if you have to.

People cannot speak English deeper inside. But the outer market have Owners who can at least explain to you the price and the name of the cloth and you can tell them roughly what you are looking for.  I can speak Hindi (Indian) which they understand more because of Bollywood.

You should take a local friend if you can. Otherwise. The rule of thumb I have for anywhere is,Just go by yourself. Roam around and explore first and mark the areas where you will find what you need. Just go in, and ask price. Give your Price 1/3rd or half, and see where it goes. Stay and repeat your offer if nothing else. Maybe they will bring theirs down enough to convince you.

Prices. Soft Jeans and Jeans (Men) I got 500TK per Jeans. Asked 1000-1200Tk per Jeans.
T shirts should be 300-500 for the really good ones.!
Underwear is sold by Hawkers. casual Undies should be very less. Stand about and see how much the other customers are paying.
And those Tube pants should be 200-300 TK as well.

You can literally spot a bunch of college boys and girls (Preferably) and ask them for how much you should pay for something. Bangla people are friendly to Tourists.

Sorry for long post.

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Unfortunately I left Dhaka already. I did take my local friend with me and I am quite happy with what I got :)