Time alloted to move out rental

Hi all,

I rented a house for a year. My lease expired in March and I asked the landlord could I extend it for a month until my house was built. He agreed. I did it again for two months and he agreed. Unfortunately my house still isn't ready so I asked him again a few days before I was supposed to be out. He said he was unsure because a company was looking at renting the property and he thought I would be leaving. He said I'll speak with my foreman and let you know. I told him Okay just let me know. About three days later, they sent me a notice asking me to vacate the premises on the following day. I called him and informed him that wasn't the way to handle this and that I'll move out quickly as possible. Under such circumstances, I need to know what is customary in Ghana. My wife says he should allow two weeks for us to move. Does anyone know the law regarding this? I'm not trying to give him a hard time, but I'm not trying to rush myself either.

Thanks!

It is difficult because you have already had extensions. Usually it states in your contract when you should vacate. The rules of renting are pretty vague here and are always being violated. I suppose you need to look at it from his point of view. If he has a new tenant who is going to rent for a year or two he can't afford to lose them. See if you can come to a compromise but be prepared to have to move out at very short notice

Thanks for the reply. It ends up he actually needs a court order to remove us and the law allows three months for the tenant to find a new place and the Rent Control Office will extend this if the tenant says he/she hasn't found a place yet. So, I simply told him we would take up to two weeks to move properly and allowed him to begin work for the new tenant and he was fine with the arrangement.

Glad it worked out for you