Grab verse Uber

Having commented on an earlier thread how great I felt Grab taxi service was, I have now changed my mind. On the that thread there had been comments that Uber often would say " due to peak demand the fees will be more'. Well Grab must have thought that was a splendid idea. I have now tried Grab many times since and overtime, no matter what time of day it was Grab offered such a price increase excuse. Do to high demand the rice was higher> however, every time during this so called peak demand the taxi arrive in about 1 to 2 minutes. How high could the demand be if the driver can reach you so quickly. Yesterday I swear he was setting outside the place I was wanting to be picked up. And the prices are not just a little higher. They are our the top crazy more. Fortunately we still have the old standby taxi companies that never change their prices do to demand at any type of day. So I am abandoning both Grab and Uber and going back to Vinasun and MaiLinh.

Grab offer coupon codes that you can use. For Grab car you might wanna use 'GP' and Grab bike 'GP10'. There are other codes that are randomly show up in the 'notification' icon as well.

Appreciate that. But I am going back to the old way when we did not have busy times and trickery. Vinasun is very good and never has peak prices. It was good while it lasted. I had a couple of very good experiences with Grab. Have no desire to fart around with coupon redemptions and all the txt msgs they send me already. Vinasun never gave me coupons or bothered me on a daily basis with text msgs.

If your taxi fare is to be reimbursed back by your company or can be included as company expenditure, it is much advisable to apply for the taxi card of VINASUN for Ho Chi Minh City. A discount of minimum of >3%~<8% will be given depending on the total amount spent. The actual amount spent will also reduced by another 10% with VAT invoice issued as amount spent are actually inclusive of 10% VAT.
In example, said 4 persons under a company had a total spending of taxi fare VND11,500,000 a month paid using VINASUN taxi card will get an VAT invoice by month end with around 10 days grace period to pay of VND11,000,000 assuming with ~5% discount and inclusive of VND1,000,000 VAT (10%).

The company can also gain small finance income by having short credit term.

So actual taxi fare expenditure is actually only VND10,000,000 exclude 10% VAT.

Near TET holiday got gifts send to company also:)

So the fare is actually much better than grab and uber in that way. Afterall VINASUN taxis are everywhere in Ho Chi Minh City.

Hello

Have also given up on Uber and Grab

They were good when they first started but now they are a rip off

Now they always seem to be in the high demand mode with the increase in price so not worth the grief

And it does not matter what time of day..... you always get the high demand crap. Used Vinasun for years. Never had a high demand. Same price always. These guys won't last long with this model.

I always compare Grab and Uber, then make choice taking note of special offers. But beware, some Grab promotions are a bit sneaky. Small print will say "ride discounts will have limited redemptions daily".  :huh:

After discovered this, I've been a bit careful using Grab.

Grab has been stingy with their discounts lately. No longer a cheap hail-riding or whatever they are calling themselves these days. Some of their motorbike drivers are disgusting as well. Smoking while taking customer around and urinating on public sidewalks. A nasty habit that most Vietnamese can't seem to get rid of.

That's weird. I think they've been quite the opposite with their discount codes, regularly have 3/4 a week

Lately, I've been using Grab and Uber, cars and motorbikes.

Good prices compared to Vinasun and Mailinh.

good service as well.

At rush hour, they may cancel a booking and I may do as well.

With Uber if you cancel after a certain time period (say 5mins after booking) you can be hit with a surcharge that you must pay at your next booking. Grab doesn't have this but it does keep track of of your cancellations. I think the drivers are warned of customer cancellations, so they can choose to accept the fare (based on this).

Speaking of Uber, there was an incident where an Uber driver tried to rape a customer.

QuidProQuo wrote:

Speaking of Uber, there was an incident where an Uber driver tried to rape a customer.

If only there was another source so I could make sense of that article.  :unsure

To all,

I had this problem last night...haha..
My friend and I returned by bus from Cambodia and requested Uber after Grab said due to high traffic time the fare would be double which would have been about 210,000vnd from Tan Binh to Binh Thanh...We then waited while the Uber driver passed on the opposite side of the road and continued to another district..  We were both tired and looked at each other and said Vinasun? At least, you know what your getting....

T

Maybe the driver sees foreign people. Usually,  from binhtan to binhthanh maximum only 100k. When you order grab, the price will show on. And no need to negotiate.

I thought these articles might interest those who use Uber and Grab: 

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/0 … -uber.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/03 … ction.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/03 … nesia.html

It seems that in just a few weeks the debate over which is better will become moot.

THIGV wrote:

It seems that in just a few weeks the debate over which is better will become moot.

Uber gave me enough promotions for its last 2 weeks of business that I'd have free ride almost every day if I wish (250K off each ride for 7 rides and 300K each ride for another 4 rides).  I've never ever paid 200K, let alone 300K so I've no idea how far the ride would take me if I  try.

I've used both companies but prefered Uber.  It's slightly less expensive and offered cash riders twice the promotions each month than Grab has ever done.  Grab constantly pushes for credit paying, which to me is a turn off.

THIGV wrote:

I think the debate is already over.
On Monday Grab sent an  announcement ... "Welcome Uber to the Grab family"  ;)

THIGV....

Thanks for the info...

Tumbleweed0

Uber sent an email about the merger too:

We want to share some news with you - Uber will be combining our operations with Grab to lead you in the next chapter of ridesharing in Vietnam and across Southeast Asia.

What this means for you: we will be transitioning our services over to the Grab platform by April 8, 2018, so all requests after that date should be made from the Grab app. However, you can still use the Uber app in more than 80 countries around the world.

What you should do:

Download the Grab app here
Create an account
For new Grab riders, apply promo code GRAB4W and take your first Grab ride

sanooku wrote:

Uber sent an email about the merger too:

We want to share some news with you - Uber will be combining our operations with Grab to lead you in the next chapter of ridesharing in Vietnam and across Southeast Asia.

What this means for you: we will be transitioning our services over to the Grab platform by April 8, 2018, so all requests after that date should be made from the Grab app. However, you can still use the Uber app in more than 80 countries around the world.

What you should do:

Download the Grab app here
Create an account
For new Grab riders, apply promo code GRAB4W and take your first Grab ride

Thanks, I never got this email

THIGV wrote:

I thought these articles might interest those who use Uber and Grab: 

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/0 … -uber.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/03 … ction.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/03 … nesia.html

Looks as if a local startup app is making a move to be a player.

I started a new thread

Vivu Gets Cash Boost

http://www.vir.com.vn/grab-refuses-to-p … 58039.html

Grab (car)  has gotten more expensive than taxi at peak time which bites since people switch to Grab primarily of the reduced fare and better customer experience. Too bad they seem to be headed downhill each year at least based on my experience.

Uber go out the vietnamese market, but a new company started a new service.
It's VITO ... same système, you can book a car or a motorbike for go everywhere you want in the city.
I didn't see an english version yet.

Chris59000 wrote:

It's VITO ... same système, you can book a car or a motorbike for go everywhere you want in the city.

I think you mean VATO.  The app is so simple and intuitive that the lack of English language doesn't pose an obstacle at all.  I plan to use VATO anytime I'm in Saigon.  I've listened to many Grab drivers describing Grab's business method and I simply don't care for it.

Actually they changed recently the name (it was ViVU before I thing). But yes it's this apps.
I already used it even my vietnamese is only few words so I'm agree with you, it's easy to use :)

Vivu, Vato.
Not found in Google Play Store.  :/

It is in both Apple and Play Store, Andy.  In Apple, it shows as VATO and Travel below it.  In Play Store, as VATO and VIVU below it.

Originally, it was FaceCar, then VIVU, then Phuong Trang  (FUTA bus) bought VIVU and changed the name to VATO, which stands for "Vận Tải Thông Suốt" (Smooth Transportation).

Ciambella wrote:
Chris59000 wrote:

I think you mean VATO.  The app is so simple and intuitive that the lack of English language doesn't pose an obstacle at all.  I plan to use VATO anytime I'm in Saigon.  I've listened to many Grab drivers describing Grab's business method and I simply don't care for it.

(quote from this linked article:)

"In order to compete with Grab, Vietnamese apps should have features that do what their strong rival (GRAB) cannot do.

"In the case of VATO, the killer feature is ‘bargaining,' allowing riders negotiate the fare with their drivers..."

Ciambella wrote:

It is in both Apple and Play Store, Andy.  In Apple, it shows as VATO and Travel below it.  In Play Store, as VATO and VIVU below it.

Originally, it was FaceCar, then VIVU, then Phuong Trang  (FUTA bus) bought VIVU and changed the name to VATO, which stands for "Vận Tải Thông Suốt" (Smooth Transportation).

I tried Vivu, VTO, VATO and FaceCar.
No hits in my Google Play Store (Android 7).
I changed the phone language to Vietnamese - no hits.

With my wife's phone, the Vato - Vivu app is found in the Play Store (also Android 7).

Maybe the problem is my Google account registered from a German speaking country.
But on the other hand, the Viettel App (also only in Vietnamese) is displayed in my Google Play Store.
:huh:

Andy Passenger wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

With my wife's phone, the Vato - Vivu app is found in the Play Store (also Android 7).

Maybe the problem is my Google account registered from a German speaking country.
But on the other hand, the Viettel App (also only in Vietnamese) is displayed in my Google Play Store.

Have you tried clearing the play store cache.

Andy Passenger wrote:

My iOS 11.3 and husband's Android 7 are registered in the States, with every account and every app (except VATO and Foody) registered in the States, and both have English as the language of choice.  We also use PIA so our location isn't even in Vietnam.

I think your phone is just screwy!  :P

Andy Passenger wrote:

If it's any consolation, I can only see facecar, and that's an app to order motor parts from Brazil.  :mad:

sanooku wrote:

If it's any consolation, I can only see facecar, and that's an app to order motor parts from Brazil.  :mad:

FaceCar died in infancy, leaving no trace behind.  I would be astonished have you said you saw it recently.

sanooku wrote:
Ciambella wrote:
sanooku wrote:

FaceCar died in infancy, leaving no trace behind.  I would be astonished have you said you saw it recently.

Never even heard of any of the apps mentioned until yesterday.

FaceCar died in infancy, leaving no trace behind

That's probably why i'm seeming another business with an app called Facecar. presumably two businesses can't have two apps with the same name .

@Ciambella
"I think your phone is just screwy! "
I think same  :)

@sanooku
"Have you tried clearing the play store cache."
Thank you for the tip. But it has not solve the problem.

"If it's any consolation, I can only see facecar, and that's an app to order motor parts from Brazil."
It seems you have the same problem as me.
If I open Google Play Store by the web browser, the Vato - Vivu app is showed.
Only in the Android Google Play Store app on my phone it's not available.
I will try to solve this problem as soon as possible.
But currently I am a little busy.

Vato really needs to pull their finger out and get things moving.
They have a website: vato.vn
Various contact methods. one of which is email. However two emails I sent bounced back. email not setup yet?, same as app?

Also, probably a good idea to proof read website and all the graphics (images). Anyone spot the error here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4f5o7q3pivetdn/vato-website-error.png?raw=1

I know it's only a small typo, but if you wanna be/look like a professional outfit, these little things matter.

BTW. Why not have everything setup first then announce a launch date, rather than launch then setup everything (e.g. support email).

I have solved the problem.

Although I have set the Vietnamese time zone and HCMC as my home city on my mobile phone, the VATO (VIVU) app was not displayed.
When I google the VATO App in the Internet Browser (via mobile phone), the VATO App is displayed. However, the message "This item isn't avaialble in your country" is displayed when I click on the app (see picture 1).

The problem was actually to find in the profile of my Google account.
When I opened the menu in Google Play Store and select "Country and profiles" (picture 2), it showed "Switzerland" above my user name (picture 3).
So I created a new payment method with a Vietnamese address under "Payment methods" (picture 2). Then I could change the "Pay Country" to Vietnam (picture 4). However, this can only be changed once a year (picture 5).

After that I was able to install the VATO App (picture 6).

I can't understand why the VATO developers made these restrictions.
For example, I can still install Swiss apps (with Vietnam as "Pay Country").
There are no country restrictions.

After installing the VATO app and opened it for the first time, I was asked to give "Google Pay Services" all access rights (Fig. 8).
Without these authorizations the VATO App does not work.

I really agree with sanooku's opinion that this app was released too soon.
Or maybe the "Google Pay Services" were intentionally integrated into the app to supply Google with customer user data (that's what the "Google Pay Services" are also used for).
Figure 9 shows the VATO App authorizations. Why are these access rights not enough?

In picture 10 you can see that Grab has developed a good app with few app permissions and without any "Google Pay Services".

I don't think I will use the VATO app, because I don't really appreciate such a procedure, where a lot of customer data is transmitted unnecessarily.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ykRpJYSuYrcVdItWRzxxqH_1e1Z9n0ypXEmFZKyFiyxqGVKl0vOoaOk053c=w2400