Single House

Hi Everyone,

I will like to ask if this property company a reputable one?
They are "Palm Springs", currently they have a launch which im quite interested and
intend to go over take a look. But Im not staying in Thailand, am in neighboring country. So before
getting there I will likes to know more about it. Be it the company, that launch named "Urbana 5"

So my questions are
1) How is the company Palm Springs?
2) Their properties "Urbana 5"
3) The location, Tha Sala. (Flood, Noisy, Jam etc?)

Thanks all again.

If I were you, I would come take a look at in person before whipping out any cash for it.

Hi Ruffian,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the advice. I will be doing that, meanwhile just wants to know more about them that's all. As i can only be in Chiang Mai the most 3-5 days. So I need to gather more base information and some others as well, once im there I will be more familiar or not as lost.

Thanks.

Okay, good luck, maybe someone in the area will chime in.
Here's the property:
http://www.palmsprings.co.th/project-si … a5-en.html
I'm curious about this as well. Are you planning to buy, rent, buy as a condo?
Tha Sala neighborhood is, from I know, a good neighborhood, Big C is nearby for shopping, the Old City is just over the river.

Can't help with first hand info but perhaps you might try using Google maps to look around the area.  Open Google maps and type "urbana 5 chaing mai thailand" in search box on map.

The first thing I notice after selecting satellite view is how close the houses are to each other.  This does not jive with renditions on web site.

Have fun using maps satellite and street view function.

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Okay, good luck, maybe someone in the area will chime in.
Here's the property:
http://www.palmsprings.co.th/project-si … a5-en.html
I'm curious about this as well. Are you planning to buy, rent, buy as a condo?
Tha Sala neighborhood is, from I know, a good neighborhood, Big C is nearby for shopping, the Old City is just over the river.

Hi Ruffian,

Thanks for the link, been there. I even contacted the agent over there and they had emailed me all the images, and cost etc. Im planning to buy it, it will be my future house to stay in Chiang Mai. But what ever im seeing and getting will not be the same as other extra information I will get from you guys who have been there long enough.

Today I just read a news (Well my wife showed me, as the news is in Thai), few of the houses by 3-4mil thai baht are leaking water from the ceiling so bad that few ceilings collapsed! And I noticed that the ceiling was done using compressed board patched together with thin metal supports. That is ridiculous. And Thailand don't have a law to protect the properties buyers I believed. And I heard few developers went "bankrupt" too even before the houses were built.

Regards

Straydog wrote:

Can't help with first hand info but perhaps you might try using Google maps to look around the area.  Open Google maps and type "urbana 5 chaing mai thailand" in search box on map.

The first thing I notice after selecting satellite view is how close the houses are to each other.  This does not jive with renditions on web site.

Have fun using maps satellite and street view function.

Hi Starydog,

I did that using phone and to check the distance to the city as well, I thought most of the houses in Chiang Mai are like this? Unless you going to get one that has a bigger land. I hope, but is just too costly. I don't mind a smaller space, it will be only my wife and myself thus easier and less time consuming to maintain the house. Infact I told my wife that to spend an amount of money for getting a big house and land which is far, I rather use the same amount of money to get a smaller unit with smaller land but nearer to city. I prefers nearer to city but not too close though. I have been to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Bangkok, Lampang and a few area, the journey around took too long even within Chiang Mai. Frankly, the lesser im on the road in Thailand, I feels saver. I have seen way too many irresponsible, careless, bad-tempered drivers in Thailand. Once I even told the driver to slow down, and he laughed that this is the first time a customer told him this. Well, I rather be late then never.

Regards

VueT wrote:

I did that using phone and to check the distance to the city as well, I thought most of the houses in Chiang Mai are like this?

I think this may be what we call a "townhouse".
Yes, the pictures are of individual houses, and don't show that they are built in a row.

Well, as long as all of Palm Springs' buildings are still standing after this monsoon, they must be built well.  :/

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Well, as long as all of Palm Springs' buildings are still standing after this monsoon, they must be built well.  :/

Ha! I will watch out for this... thanks for the advice.

Regards.

VueT, are these homes sold as "condominiums"? Can you buy "freehold" (like a condo) or are these actually leased?

Hi Ruffian Dick,

They are not listed as private condo and can't be owned by foreigner.
Im getting it through my wife's name.

Anyway im not getting it as of now. After much considerations.
Will see other properties when I stationed there for at least few months, get to know the area and others well enough first. Is going to be a chunk of money out and im not going to risk it. Anyway Thai baht is holding strong against our currency... believe will slide.

Regards

Hi All,

Im back! After 3-4 months since started this thread.

I found a property unit through recommendation and i loves it and the area too. Is not too near city nor too far, i can get great cafes and restaurants and even wet markets around. Im in the process to get a bank loan approve, all documents submitted. Is so unexpected as i told myself that i shall only search for it again years later. Anyway I increased my initial budget due to the area and the house comes with a bigger land with garden, not huge but acceptable. The previous property (Urbana 5) after seeing the actual photos, was way too near to neighbors' house (You are right Straydog), and lack of privacy although the house is much bigger. But is only myself and wife, i don't need such big house.

I have questions if anyone with info can help.

- Im paying more than 50% to the property side, and loan the remaining from the bank. Is it advisable? My reason was to avoid paying more on the interest side. I have yet to fix the payment or loan amount as is in the process now.

- Is there anything i needs to watch out for? Be it the bank or the property side. I spoke to few agents from different properties and all of them requires a deposit to "reserve" a unit, which im totally fine. The current one i wanted to, but the agent refuse to accept till we have a face to face meet-up, even no negotiations through phone. I thought is somehow strange practice. But the agent is reserving it for me while the bank is processing my details.

- How is the economy of Chiang Mai side? Latest news i heard was there is an election on Nov 2018. Seems like is a down period now. Reason i asked is, if it is a low season where properties are not selling well,  i can have a bargain chip with the property side. I rather they gives me cash discount then to pass me free air-cons or free household items.

Regards.

Welcome back! Thanks for the report.

It looks like it will be close to one of the light rail lines proposed for 'Mai:
http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/a … hiang-mai/

Thanks for the news! now it adds on further of loving the area. I hope it will happens without much strike from Song Teaow transport. I think even if it does a go ahead to build, maybe another 10 years to see it starts.

Regards

I'll be looking for a small house to rent soon in Chiang Mai. No ideas yet about neighborhoods.

Hi All,

Was at Chiang Mai for the last 5 days and back yesterday. Viewed the property and we fell in love with it! Went around the neighborhood as well, took only 3 mins drive to the Ruamchok market, has an excellent wet market too. Is all almost perfect for me. Just glad i found this property along the 700pi.

Done all necessary payments, paper works with the bank and the house agent, went to the land depart and left only the little misc stuffs which i can settle when im back here. So i got it, my dream house. Now im back to work harder so i can move over earlier. I will see you guys again and hope i can help the new people then who intend to move over...

Anyway is really hot and humid in Chiang Mai, thought is suppose to be cooler?

Regards

Thanks for the report! Where is it from the 3029 - 1001 intersection?

I think the dry season is just beginning.

Night-time temperatures should be just beginning to dip under 20.

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Sorry Ruffian, I don't get the 3029 - 1001 intersection part.

I will be back to check on the house next year, most probably end year so I can enjoy the cool weather.

VueT wrote:
Ruffian Dick wrote:

Sorry Ruffian, I don't get the 3029 - 1001 intersection part.

I will be back to check on the house next year, most probably end year so I can enjoy the cool weather.

Sorry, Vue, I looked up Ruamchok on the map and found an intersection.
I think it's 1001 - Chiang Mai-Sansai Road, 3029 - Ring Road.
Looks like an active and interesting area. :)

Hi Ruffian, ah yes the Ruamchok is at the intersection along the 700pi. Now i got the part on the 3029 - 1001 after viewing the google map. Pretty active place around there you are right. Im not that near looking at the google map but i timed it in the car and took us less than 5 mins to reach there.

I hope someone can benefit from this thread in someway. I will write (Best i can) what i had personally experienced and gone through while the steps are still fresh in my mind.

From searching a house (MooBan) to getting it from another country where a loan is required. Note that my wife is a Thai citizen holding a Permenant Residence in my country.

A path some did (Few Trips): Head to view actual property > Speak to Property's Agent (Agent might speak to the bank if you prefers, but note the interest rate might be very different) >  Speak to Bank > Goes back home country and wait for the loan processing > Approves and head back to Property Again and settle > Might needs to go back again to sign certain documents.

- This path might needs 2 - 3 back and forth to get it done.

What i had done (1 X Trip): View properties through Online and Photos/Videos* > Calls and speak to the Bank and Property's Agent (Still in my own country) > Submit documents for loan (Still in my own country) > Approves loan then head down to the actual Property and settle all include Land Dept. (Agent and Banker will be at the same place meeting you)

* I requested the properties' agents to personally go to the actual unit and shoot photos and even videos.

- If the loan doesn't approve while im in my own country, i dont even needs to head over at all.

Searching for the Dream House

- Through recommendations, so ask around if you can and thats how i got to know mine. I told my requirements to the banker and she recommended it. They know more as had done too many house loans.

- Google, there are tonnes (But do be careful) My wife's friend bought another property 2 years back but didnt stay and only to realize there were cracks around the house after going back to check. I heard Bank's place certain properties developers into categories of Grade A, B and so on. Grade A will have better building materials, less issues etc. Do check the structure if is bricks or some concrete built, and even the number of pillars under the ground.

- After getting to know few properties. Try using google maps and "Drive" around the area see if you likes. My second choice property  was cancelled after i did a "drive" through.... all i saw was grass fields after grass fields and nothing else. You might likes being in a quiet neighbourhood, as i will prefers somewhere more activities but not as much as city's area. My first choice property was cancelled as well as the house is too near to each other. Dont get too excited to place a deposit, normally is THB50,000. Is a non-refund sum if you decided not to get. Thats when i knows what i want truely and spoke to Banker for recommendations.

- I visited the properties' FB to check who stay in the same property, and asked the Agent about the buyers. Mine over 85% was purchased by Bangkok Chinese. Some other property has more certain group example Japanese.

Bank Loan (If you are getting)

- Be prepared for lots of documents to be submitted, from 6 months bank's statement to employment letter to Marriage cert. They go by stages, certain documents are needed only later days. (My marriage cert in English needs to be translated into Thai, the property Agent helped with that.)

- Be prepared to mail (DHL) some signed documents over to the bank side.

- Bank in Thailand response slower so do give some time for them. Mine took about 3-4 weeks to process. Heard some other banks will take 2-3 or more months. Loan's age is an important factor for the bank, i think at certain age they will not loan.

After the bank informed me the loan is approved. I booked the flight tickets immediately and head down. View the actual property and signed all the required documents (Of course only when i loves the house!). Money will be paid in stages for property side and the remaining full amount to be TT (Both side of the Banks will include transfer fees) over when im back to my own country. Please note on the maintenance fee as well for the security, gym, swimming pool etc. Banks will only continue their works when the full amount you intend to pay the property's side is paid. Bank will include few fees example insurance for the loans (Expensive), the fire insurance (Cheap) etc. After you got the house, you will needs a gardener to water/trim your plants and to clean your empty house. Im surprise is not that cheap but i got no choice.. This i will deal with the gardener privately without through the agent so i will send her the monies.

Thats all i knows and had experienced. Hope i help. Feels free to ask me anything if you have intention to buy MooBan same as my scenario, i might have missed out certain things. Will try my best to answer.

Regards.

Thank you Vue!
Do you know if it is possible to buy with just cash (no loan)?

Hi Ruffian Dick,

Of course you can if one is cash rich! Best to pay off 100% to avoid the high loan's interest. I needs loan as it exceed my initial budget.

But for Single house (MuBaan) with land, foreigner cant own it 100%. Not sure other way out but I'm doing it the legal or proper way. I'm married (Wife a Thai) in my country for 15 years, and I'm going to marry over at Thailand side again next year (Not sure if just convert my English marriage cert to Thai language will works, but i don't mind a "re-marry" in Thailand for the experience). Then I'm able to place my name into this house at a certain percentage. In future it will help me in some applications in Thailand too, at least that's what i heard.

Regards

Thanks, Vue.
I guess I'll just have to find a local lady. ;)

Kidding, I'm mostly looking to rent a townhome. Any female friendship would be icing on the cake.

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Thanks, Vue.
I guess I'll just have to find a local lady. ;)

Kidding, I'm mostly looking to rent a townhome. Any female friendship would be icing on the cake.

Go ahead, get the real and true love and stays together!  :)

Wish you the best to get a home you wants.

Regards.

Hey, Vue, there's a house for rent:
https://www.expat.com/en/housing/asia/t … ngmai.html
It looks like that's in your area.
Just curious about the neighborhood.

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Hi Ruffian,

I tried typing Nongjom Sansai in google earth search. Is a selection of an area, is pretty wide so I'm not sure it's neighborhood. The northern side of this Nongjom Sansai's area stretches beyond outer ring and that's pretty far out. As for the southern side of this area, is at around the 1001 - 3029 intersection where the MeechokePlaza is, but for the HomePro (If this is the one he mentioned) is actually at the outer ring to the right side. And for the international school, is on the left side and at middle ring. The places he mentioned are around this area region. But don't take my words for it, I'm still new around this area. But one thing i knows is, the middle ring has much more activities then anything further out. Just the area where the MeeChokePLaza is is big inclusive of wet market, Tesco Lotus is just opposite.

Regards,
Ben

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Hi Ruffian,

I tried typing Nongjom Sansai in google earth search. Is a selection of an area, is pretty wide so I'm not sure it's neighborhood. The northern side of this Nongjom Sansai's area stretches beyond outer ring and that's pretty far out. As for the southern side of this area, is at around the 1001 - 3029 intersection where the MeechokePlaza is, but for the HomePro (If this is the one he mentioned) is actually at the outer ring to the right side. And for the international school, is on the left side and at middle ring. The places he mentioned are around this area region. But don't take my words for it, I'm still new around this area. But one thing i knows is, the middle ring has much more activities then anything further out. Just the area where the MeeChokePLaza is is big inclusive of wet market, Tesco Lotus is just opposite.

Regards,
Ben