Importing of goods to Ecuador by expats.

Hey all, I am curious about those who have imported their good to Ecuador.  I am curious about what is allowed and what isn't.

In all honesty I don't feel like buying appliances and bringing them is a good idea and I love the hand crafted furniture that you can buy around Ecuador, great quality and value from what I have seen.  I will likely be bringing my own personal mechanical and wood working tools as well as some fabrication equipment to be used in the construction of my home.  I'll make a list below and maybe you could give me your thoughts.  Are these item possible to import as household items??

- Mechanics tool box, fully stocked.
- CNC plasma table components
- Offroad equipment ie: Dirt bike, side by side or quad (this is the most urgent question I have, is it possible? if so, what restrictions are there?
- Motorcycle or car engine and parts for a project in Ecuador
- Zodiac inflatable boat and outboard motor

Thanks all

Chris

There's some good information in the car import thread  especially posts by OsageArcher and BoatMarc.

If they don't qualify as household goods, then you have to prove how they are needed for your profession. IMO I don't think anything on your list qualifies as household goods. But since documentation is needed from the consulate, perhaps writing them an email will clarify matters.

Well I checked it out and it contained some good information.  I believe there has to be a way to bring certain items, especially if they are not available in Ecuador.  I will have to get my wife who is Ecuadorian to touch base with a customs official or import agent so I know before hand.

Thanks

Hello,

About your list, cars or vehicles in general are not allowed unless you are Ecuadorian citizen.
Car parts are not allowed as they're not part of household items and the same apply for construction items.
Tools are ok but in small numbers, the ones like you can use at home are good but big, industrial ones no, unless you are planning to come as an investor and set up a business here.

About the boat, is OK but without the motor.

If you need more info about import household goods let me know

What about hand power tools, air compresser, and other tools used for fixing up the house?

I was a commercial refrigeration contractor and when I moved to Ecuador 4 years ago, I brought all my service hand tools, meters, gauges, etc as well as a vacuum pump, refrigerant recovery unit, oxy-acetylene torch set and numerous power tools.  My hobby is woodworking so I brought my full size 10" table saw, jigs. clamps, power and hand tools. 

My shipping agent, Sandra Baquero, said they might ask for professional documents like my contractor license and possibly proof that I am trained in the use of the table saw.   She also asked for pictures, which seemed to do the trick because they never asked for anything else.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I have the information that I need.  My wife is Ecuadorian and allowed to import a vehicle but with the limitations they put on what you can import it is hardly worth it.

icemeister wrote:

I was a commercial refrigeration contractor and when I moved to Ecuador 4 years ago, I brought all my service hand tools, meters, gauges, etc as well as a vacuum pump, refrigerant recovery unit, oxy-acetylene torch set and numerous power tools.  My hobby is woodworking so I brought my full size 10" table saw, jigs. clamps, power and hand tools. 

My shipping agent, Sandra Baquero, said they might ask for professional documents like my contractor license and possibly proof that I am trained in the use of the table saw.   She also asked for pictures, which seemed to do the trick because they never asked for anything else.

Would you happen to have Sandra's email address as we will need a shipping agent.

Chris

Sandra Baquero's email:

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through the private messaging system + recommend this professional in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct