Advice wanted on renting if new to Beijing

What is the best way to find a place to rent in Beijing centre? Do I look at websites or use the classifieds on this one? What are the things to look out for if you are doing this online? Do you think it is best to take a trip to BJ to see some places first,or have a friend in BJ to look for you. You get the picture...

Thanks

Hello Dave H,

Have you gone through the article: Accommodation in China! It contains lot of info & useful tips which might answer your query!

Else, you can also check out the Beijing Classifieds, Section>Accommodation. There are many adverts which might interest you.

Regards

Thank you

Dave hi,

I suggest that you come for a look-see visit. Taste is always subjective and someone else's idea of great might not be the same as yours.

Be careful with Estate Agencies since (assuming your budget is over about 5,000RMB) they are paid by the Landlord on a commission base. ie Higher the rent the higher their commission.

Getting a friend to help you and go with you and the Estate Agent is an excellent solution. Failing that use a Destination Service Provider, basically someone who is paid by you to be objective and to help you avoid the pitfalls - your China eyes and China ears to avoid your China tears.

{Disclaimer: I work for one such company that provides these services in 100 cities around the world}