Romanian Citizenship

What is the requirements to apply for Romanian citizenship?

You need to speak fluent Romanian to start with.  There's a government website that explains it entirely. 

cetatenie.just.ro

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

what if one can not speak fluent romania

He or she should learn the language first because to be able to qualify as a citizen of one country he or she must speak its national language.

mimidreyes wrote:

He or she should learn the language first because to be able to qualify as a citizen of one country he or she must speak its national language.

Correct!  If you cannot speak the national language, you haven't integrated in the country too well and cannot be considered a naturalized citizen.

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Please write in English only as this is English-speaking forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
mizisamad wrote:

Multumesc pentru ajutor!😊

Translation: Thanks for the help

Please keep responses in English so everyone can understand. Thanks.

Hello Romaniac,

Your welcome.

It is not very hard to learn Romanian.

alinushka99 wrote:

It is not very hard to learn Romanian.

Not to stray farther off topic, but I'd have to say that's a matter of perspective, and quite easy for a Romanian citizen to say :)

For local people,they are born to speak native language. But for the foreigners, it not easy to learn a new language. Thus, we have to take time if possible 10 years to be native in Romanian language.

....usually for an average trained intellect learning Romanian to attend University classes for many truly committed people takes about 6 months.

Sweden (definitely) and apparently Belgium and Ireland have no such language requirement.

I would wager as well that this does not apply in many countries to people who are rich enough to take the Investment route but nonetheless we have at least 3 neighbours where this is not the case.

So OP it is true in Romania but it is not a general rule that applies everywhere.

claudeyc wrote:

Sweden (definitely) and apparently Belgium and Ireland have no such language requirement.

I would wager as well that this does not apply in many countries to people who are rich enough to take the Investment route but nonetheless we have at least 3 neighbours where this is not the case.

So OP it is true in Romania but it is not a general rule that applies everywhere.

Were talking only about Romania here, so bringing up other countries is irrelevant and unnecessary.  Also, Romania offers no path to "purchase" citizenship, there's only a handful of countries which do allow that.  Additionally, the language requirement actually is a common requirement for naturalization, but yes there are a few countries which are the exception.

The first step to citizenship is to get your permanent residency. For immigration to accept your application you must pass an interview administered in Romanian. It is only after you receive your permanent residency would you qualify for citizenship.

As you might probably know the citizenship exam will test you on history, geography and also the national anthem etc.

unless you are of Romanian descent.

Lukkkas wrote:

unless you are of Romanian descent.

Perhaps you could elaborate?  :)

Basically if one of your grandfathers was Romanian citizen and lost his citizenship...you are entitled to "regain" the Citizenship (it involves also knowledge of Romanian and exams).

Hello,

There are many ways to get Romanian citizenship. The easiest and fastest route to romanian citizenship is through birth rights.  Got great great grandparents or old ancestors? then you could be eligible for a Romanian passport.

Keep Reading!!

if any of your ancestors where born on the old Romanian territories of Moldova, Chernovickaya region and south of Odessa regions of Ukraine in the period of 1918 to 1940. ​The same rule applies for the Post Soviet Union family members who once may have lived and worked on those territories.

If you would like to check if you have a long lost family member who was on the territory during this period then check out the guys below. I just used them.

i checked my historic archives through them and i got except onto the reparation program.

Quote from the Site

''It doesn't matter where you live now or weather you know Romanian history or not. And if you don't speak the Romanian language.You can still apply. There are no obligations to live in Romania while your papers are being process. You just need to come to the Capital city of Bucharest for one day while we process your application at the official government ministry building. Once completed we will then fast track your application. You will need to come back to Bucharest after 8 to 12 month to receive your citizenship. You will give an oath to Romania to become a citizen. Send message''

Here: http://www.citizenship-romania.com/

Hello, I found good information here ***

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you

Hello, does anyone have the answers to the 480 questions one needs to learn for the Romanian citizenship exam? Thanks a lot!

This is serious. 480??? Drop more details of what you know

Hi if i am married to a Romanian Girl can i get automatic residence.
Regards David.

Yes, Automatic residence :)

Citizenship-romania.com Does this website still exist? I have precisely this situation (great grand parents + grand parents) born in Ukraine (former Romanian territories). However, I don't speak the language. Could someone please recommend an agency that speaks English to assist with the application process?

Thanks in advance!

I can help you.

What is the status of the new Romanian citizenship law for individuals married to Romanian citizens for more than 10 years? It was previously paused by the president for some alterations. When can we expect it to be finalized and implemented?

What is the status of the new Romanian citizenship law for individuals married to Romanian citizens for more than 10 years? It was previously paused by the president for some alterations. When can we expect it to be finalized and implemented?

-@sikdermaroof

You can search on Google about it (using Romanian language).  To gain citizenship, you must know Romanian language. 

It looks like the president shot it down and it hasn't gone anywhere, from what I briefly saw.