Renting out / selling property in Accra.

Hi everyone :)

Ive been given the responsibility to sort out some real estate in Ghana. Obviously, ideally Id be in the country to do this, but a visit wont be possible until much later in the year.  So Im trying to find out how other people deal with property in Ghana.

Do people generally rely on family and friends, or are more people relying on Real Estate Agents? Is there a national register of accredited agencies?

Have your own experiences been largely positive or negative?

Id rather get a general opinion on how to avoid pitfalls before talking to a company I dont know.

Sorry for all the questions, but Im at the start of looking into this and need as much advice as possible. :)

Hi Melinda_Que_Linda, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will give you some advice very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Thanks for the warm welcome Christine!

I look forward to contributing!

Hello Melinda.

My friend Miriam does Real Estate in Ghana.  She is not a member of this group but I can pass along your email if you like.

Hey Dusty,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

I'm totally happy for you to fwd my email address to your friend.

Id really welcome any sensible advice.

Thanks.

MqL

I received a notification email to say a new message was waiting for me here-  but when I clicked the link, I received a message  saying it had been deleted for spamming!

*sigh*!

Is there a PM system here? CAn dusty bones  pm his friends email- is that allowed?  He's trying to help me!

Hi, that was my message which was delete! I wasn't spamming!

[Moderated: Seems to be commercial]

Depends of course what you are looking for but you can expect a three bedroom fully funished to set you back $3-$4K a month plus utilities.

Hello Melinda_Que_Linda,

We do have a private message system. On the top of your page, you will see a link "Inbox"! ;) That's it!

@Balavila: Your message was not deleted, it was moved to a private folder for analysis! It seems that the content of that message was purely commercial.

Regards

Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt mean for anyone to fall foul of any mods!

I was looking for advice how to go about selling one property, and finding tenants for another when Im not yet physically in the country. I thought ex-pats would have experience of this.

While researching on the net, I discovered a a trade organisation for developers, but nothing so far for accredited real estate agents and property managers (companies which would find/ screen tenants and manage the property for me). This is a worrying because how else is an outsider supposed to sort the good companies from the cowboys?

Yud-  Thanks for the info about the PMs! 

I like your name! :D

I'll give you a friendly but frank advice.

Never ever make deals or buy stuff after only seeing them online or counting on infos from strangers on the internet.

Never ever trust so called dealers or estate agents either.

In Accra you see a number of walls with warnings on them: "Fraudsters are trying to sell this land. Don't be fooled!"

If you want to buy land, estate, whatever and you are serious, get in a plane and come down. If you can't, postpone your purchase plans.

When you are here and you have seen an interesting object, then do a thorough check. Funny things happen here. like a house or land belonging to three siblings, one sells you the object and two months later others appear and make your contract void because they haven't signed and the seller is long gone and you sit there trying to figure out how to get your money back in a land where foreigners have almost NO chance at a court (been there, done that).

Let your embassy consult you! They are your best friends, believe me.

Don't ever trust anyone when so much money is involved.

Hi Metecem,

Thanks for the good advice. I know you are correct, but the need for speedy action over came my natural caution. I thought it was worth seeing what was out there. I would never give away any personal information.

Dustybones recommended a friend to me but she never responded to my emails.

There is a trip to Ghana planned for May or June and so things should be easier, but I will be starting from scratch as we dont know anybody on the ground. I will reach Accra, check into a hotel and hit the streets!

I always do due diligence on the person or business I'm dealing with, but I think its very serious that I cant even find a decent recommendation at this stage.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me! And if you have any ideas- please dont hesitate to get in contact.

Melinda.

metecem is quite right,follow his advice

in tamale it may be less.

Hi Spotted Chicken and Yud, My message was not commercial - I actually have experience which would have helped. Is it commercial to give a recommendation as Dusty did? So why was his allowed and mine deleted?

:offtopic: Please concentrate on the initial topic!

Thank you.

Christine, Thank you for the hand-slap. Please check your inbox for my response.

I agree with the blogger warning you about fraudsters in the real estate sector. Real estate agents are NOT regulated or represented by any organisation in Ghana; i have personally had a terrible experience with several so called realtors. They are wholly unprofessional, usually one-man/one-woman outfits who are on the make. Your least risky approach would be to restrict your search to established developers with a track record of well constructed estates. Some examples would be PW (Polo Court, Polo Heights), Trassacco (Villagio, Primavera), Regimanuel (Golden Gate). I don't represent any of these companies by the way, Administrator! just straight forward recommendations.