Town to Move to in Ecuador

I recently joined and this is my first post.
My wife and I are planning to retire in Ecuador.
We have traveled around the world and loved Ecuador .
We will be coming to Ecuador for a month in September 2017 to help locate a city to move to.
We have a short list but wanted to get feedback from the locals.
Cotacachi, Mindo, Macas, Cuenca?, other..
We speak enough Spanish to get by and are always learning more.
We are both young and avid outdoor adventurers.
We love to Mt. Bike, Hike, we are both White Water Raft guides, Mt. Climbers.
We will rent for awhile until we figure out what the best situation for us is.
Also any recommendation of where to stay and how to get around while we are visiting in September

Confluencia wrote:

We will be coming to Ecuador for a month in September 2017 to help locate a city to move to.
We have a short list but wanted to get feedback (on) Cotacachi, Mindo, Macas, Cuenca?, other....

We are both young and avid outdoor adventurers.
We love to Mt. Bike, Hike, we are both White Water Raft guides, Mt. Climbers.

Dear Confluencia,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Macas!  Really?

There are various places in Ecuador to enjoy the outdoor activities you mentioned without moving into the tropical rainforest.

The problem for most Expats -- and you and wife might be an exception -- is not just the unrelenting humidity.  It's not that Macas (population 14,000 -- Wikipedia) was a major staging point for the colonization of the Amazon basin and the subjugation of the indigenous people. 

The problem is that you would probably lose personal contact with the Expat world and almost all English-speakers.

Now, if meeting other Expats is low on your priorities or something you prefer to avoid .. and speaking Spanish 100 percent of the time is what you want .. and you don't mind constant humidity .. maybe Macas in an obscure part of Ecuador would work for you.

Personally, I wouldn't go too far out of the way for Macas .. unless there's something there for you that I am currently unaware of.

cccmedia

Confluencia wrote:

Cotacachi, Mindo, Macas, Cuenca?, other..
We speak enough Spanish to get by.

Cotacachi .. The famous leather town has attracted many Expats in the past decade, apparently boosted for a while by Internet write-ups by ex-Ecuador-based businessman Gary A. Scott.  Might be a good choice for you in a small-town setting.

Mindo .. Fewer Expats, lots of birds, famous for cloud-forest paisaje.  Plenty of opportunity to practice your Spanish.  Popular tourist area.

Cuenca .. A beautiful, historic world-class destination for relocating Expats.  More Gringo activities planned than in any other city in Ecuador.  Cool and rainy at times.  Don't expect to find outdoor swimming pools.

Macas .. Don't get me started!

Other:  Consider the Quito suburbs, which constitute an area of major population growth in recent years.  Lots of shopping.  Less pollution in the air than in the big city.  More or less 1,500 feet lower in elevation, so it's warmer than Quito proper.  The lower elevation also means:  more oxygen in the air. :)

cccmedia

As for traveling around, bus travel is probably the most sensible idea.

Car rentals are expensive in most places in Ecuador.  Other drivers can be aggressive.  Road signage does not meet Gringo standards.

When taking the bus, travel during daylight hours.  Keep your valuables with you personally, not in the overhead or the cargo hold.  Bring earplugs in case there will be screenings of the noisy, circa-1986 action films that Ecuadorian travelers can't get enough of. :cool:

Buses go to all the places you mentioned, with the possible exception of you-know-where.

An alternative is hiring a driver with vehicle.  That would be convenient and minimize the schlep factor.  However, figure in the driver's lodging and meals if budgeting for this.

cccmedia

This information is extremely helpful. I don't want to have to deal with that level of humidity.
Easy just to cross one off the list only to add others

Cotacachi was so beautiful when we were there.
We currently live in Seattle and are tired of 8 months of rain.
Cooler weather is ok, yet not damp and cold all the time.

Weather is a major issue when looking for a place to live
We prefer to stay away from the humidity, unless we go for a vacation or a trip to the jungle or beach.

We spent a little time in Cumbaya outside of Quito but for the cost it would be better to stay in the US.
Our active outdoor life means spending as much time playing in nature.

Always nice to have an Expat community to hang with.
I didn't know Cuenca was cooler and wetter.
Again thanks for the information

The answer is of course...

YES.

Be sure to bring your bikes with extra tires and patch kits, but you know that.

Come visit the Ocean, the whales should still be close in.

Live the Adventure :-)

And say hi when you pass through Montañita.

Confluencia wrote:

Cotacachi was so beautiful when we were there.
We currently live in Seattle and are tired of 8 months of rain.
Cooler weather is ok, yet not damp and cold all the time.

Weather is a major issue when looking for a place to live
We prefer to stay away from the humidity, unless we go for a vacation or a trip to the jungle or beach.

We spent a little time in Cumbaya outside of Quito but for the cost it would be better to stay in the US.
Our active outdoor life means spending as much time playing in nature.

Always nice to have an Expat community to hang with.
I didn't know Cuenca was cooler and wetter.
Again thanks for the information

Visiting especially for shorter periods can be deceiving. Here is a trivia question for you. What do Seattle, Cuenca and Cotacachi have in common?

Answer: They average about the same yearly rainfall (source worldclimate.com and climate-data.org)

In those areas, a sunny dry residence is extremely important, and I invite you to read Adapting to Climate in Ecuador thread for helpful information. Choosing the right home will help you avoid dampness, mold, health issues including Insomnia and fatigue that some expats are experiencing but for whatever reason solely attribute it to high altitude.

And by choosing the right home, I mean one that has a lot of sun exposure and does not have mold. So thinking about the cheapest residence might not help you achieve that in the Andes. The cheapest homes have poor insulation and some people will brag about the cheap price they're paying but ironically it's at the expense of their health. There are no short cuts here or anywhere for that matter.

There is one major difference with Seattle rain verses anywhere else I have lived.
It drizzles for 9 months. Almost everyday!. Which creates a physical ailment called "SAD".
Basically lack of sun or vitamin D. Yes we get the same amount of rain but it falls differently.

50-70 degrees is perfect. Drier is always appreciated rather then humid. We don't mind the rain especially if it comes in the afternoons, it makes things grow and keeps the dust and pollution down.

What are some of the drier regions in Ecuador? 40 inches of rain is fine as long as it doesn't rain every day for 9 months.

All good information. We both do well at Altitude as long as we acclimate.
If it's warmer out then sitting in the hammock becomes a must. Also eating outside or a cup of coffee outside is so relaxing.

Confluencia wrote:

There is one major difference with Seattle rain verses anywhere else I have lived.
It drizzles for 9 months. Almost everyday!. Which creates a physical ailment called "SAD".
Basically lack of sun or vitamin D. Yes we get the same amount of rain but it falls differently.

50-70 degrees is perfect. Drier is always appreciated rather then humid. We don't mind the rain especially if it comes in the afternoons, it makes things grow and keeps the dust and pollution down.

What are some of the drier regions in Ecuador? 40 inches of rain is fine as long as it doesn't rain every day for 9 months.

All good information. We both do well at Altitude as long as we acclimate.
If it's warmer out then sitting in the hammock becomes a must. Also eating outside or a cup of coffee outside is so relaxing.

The obvious drier regions are coastal areas. I noticed you eliminated the Quito's valley suburb, Cumbaya but it and Tumbaco are drier than the city itself according to people who've lived in both the city and valley.

We are not city people. Even though coming from a big city.
Plus being near such a major city is very expensive.
Cumbaya otherwise known as CumbaYORK, is no different then living in the US.
Same shops, same prices.
How does the weather differ in Cotacachi from Tumbaco or Cumbaya?
I'm guessing similar with a small town feel.
There is no perfect place, lived in California with near perfect weather until the droughts came and there wasn't enough water to drink or flush your toilet.

Here is my point of view, there is a big difference between living in a city area versus small towns and is services. In rural areas the internet, water, health, security services are very simple and even sometimes are not available. 
Rural areas and small towns at the coast are very peaceful BUT doesn't mean they are more secure. Some expats buy a piece of land in remote areas and even there get robbed and even murder.
Guayaquil, Quito and urban areas around are   difficult: traffic is bad, insecurity, high prices but more social live and things to do.
Cotacachi is a nice, safe place but too quiet, Vilcabamba the same.
Cuenca is a middle size city, have some problems but is between a big city and a small town related to pros and cons.

I appreciate your view point and agree with you in terms of services and access.
Safety and security are never a guarantee no matter where you live.
We all move to a new place because we think the grass is greener and we are looking for something different.  What motivates us to move is normally we get tired of the weather, the traffic, the political situation, etc...
These decisions would be easier to make within the United States yet this is not where we want to be currently.  Our Spanish is OK but not fluent enough to understand the in's and out's of the system.
So all of the feedback we are gathering is helping us make the right decisions.
Multiple visits over a three year period during different seasons and staying for a month in each community will help.  We are adventurers but like to plan our trips and not jump off the deep end without testing the water first.

Thank you

Confluencia wrote:

We are not city people. Even though coming from a big city.
Plus being near such a major city is very expensive.
Cumbaya otherwise known as CumbaYORK, is no different then living in the US.
Same shops, same prices.

Yes Cumbaya is nice and to enjoy it you have to pay*, but it's also like that in some areas of Quito too. The financial district, Tenis, González Suárez, etc. If  one wants to buy a book, have an international dinner, buy any kind of quality apparel or appliance or even fast food meal or enjoy a nice cappuccino with cake then one will be paying developed world prices. If kids are involved and one wants them educated in decent schools (example International Baccalaureate qualification) they better be wealthy or have it included as part of expatriate job package. As for buying land or buying a house in Cumbaya, I have no inclination to shock anyone, so look for yourselves on some popular Ecuadorian real estate websites to get an idea. 

* for many prices like apparel, appliances, books, etc. The price's are often double or more than they are in developed countries.

Confluencia wrote:

How does the weather differ in Cotacachi from Tumbaco or Cumbaya?

Have no idea, haven't lived in Cotacachi to make a comparison.

I have much to say about Cuenca, having explored much of Ecuador, and having lived here for 3.5 years (plus I am married to a Cuencana).  first about the weather: Cuenca has a dry alpine climate, meaning very low humidity, and though it has regular rainfall, much like a mountain city in Northern California or Colorado, it dries out quickly.  And a great thing if you live a little outside the basin (all of Cuenca proper is in a basin, hence the name) you are at a slightly higher elevation....no mosquitos!!  I live near the base of Cajas National Park, and for an outdoor enthusiast Cajas is the NUMBER 1 reason to live in Cuenca.  I go hiking and climbing, with friends and clients, twice each week, and will begin camping regularly during the dry season (June-September).
My wife and I help gringos serious about living the good life in Cuenca, offering a room to rent while they explore the various areas of the city, some active guidance in find the best area (again a recommend a pueblo that is a part of Cuenca but not in the basin with its noise, pollution, and crime challenges.)  Just so you know I first rented an unfurnished 5 bedroom country home with space for my gardens, greenhouse, and small animal pens for $200 per month.  Now we rent an 8 bedroom hacienda in the same pueblo for $400/month.  I know of a great house with great views and lots of land in my pueblo for $500....there are deals to be found if you are a little patient and you get the right kind of help.
you sound like the kind of couple that would enjoy Cuenca for the same reasons that I do

let me know if we can be of help
Louis, Catty and Amelie (our 16-month old daughter)

louisb333 wrote:

I have much to say about Cuenca, having explored much of Ecuador, and having lived here for 3.5 years (plus I am married to a Cuencana).  first about the weather: Cuenca has a dry alpine climate, meaning very low humidity, and though it has regular rainfall, much like a mountain city in Northern California or Colorado, it dries out quickly.

I'm not sure all Cuenca residents will agree with the information above. There is a youtube video with detailed information about humidity in Cuenca. It's not low by any means according to their readings, and judging by those informative youtube videos, mold can easily be seen on many buildings. Also I don't think it qualifies as an Alpine Climate. It's probably subtropical highland climate.

But hey it's drier than Quito that's for sure.  :D