Vietnamese American moving to Vietnam. Advice Please

Hi, I'm considering on moving to VN this year and hoping to get some advice from fellow expats to make the transition as easy as possible.

I have a college degree with 5 years of experience in the IT field. But I'm not looking for a full time corporate job, which is why I'm moving. I heard that being an English teacher is a route I can take. I don't have a cert but I can get one. My only experience in teaching is volunteering on the weekends to help children.

I would be considered a Viet Kieu. I was born in VN but was raised in the US (West coast Califronia) since I was 1. I have native tongue. I would say my English is close to perfect with a western accent. My Vietnamese is not as great but I can speak, read, and write at a fifth grade level. I'd learned it when I was young.

My questions are:
Would I need to get a working Visa prior to moving or should I move then look for a job?

Would a 20 hour work week would be considered sufficient for living expenses?

How are the job opportunities in term of looking for one (time span)? 1month, 3 months, 6 months, etc.

I have a 5 year Visa with 6 months stay because I was born as a Vietnamese. I'd traveled to Vietnam twice and enjoyed it. There were some aspect that weren't so great but every country has its own flaws. If I can get any advice on how to get started for the long term. Your advices are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

You could consider asking for Vietnamese citizenship, then you would not need a visa at all. For advice on this, ask the VN embassy or Consulate nearest to you in USA.

Due to your Asian appearance you won't be paid very well. Vietnamese have a thought process that you have to be Caucasian to teach English. You also don't have a lot of experience, maybe get some more experience before heading over here.

Viet-American here.  My profile is similar to yours except that I was born and grew up in the U.S.  I grew up in CA near many Vietnamese and now know many VKs here in Vietnam.

First, I would avoid trying to get a Vn citizenship as someone else suggested.  If you're a US citizen, then the US will "disown" you since you actively pursued a citizenship with another country.  Not worth it to simply avoid Visa runs.  Google for more information.

Many VKs that i know here do not work locally.  Rather, they work remotely (e.g., software support, online poker, etc.) and receive overseas pay (ideal).  A few others are English teachers but do not get paid well since the market preference is to hire western-looking people. 

Since you have a five year visa exemption, you're able to go in and out (i.e., border runs; or simply get stamps) as needed.  Almost all the VKs that I know here do that.  I would try to obtain all the necessary documents to obtain a work permit while I'm in the U.S., so that you can avoid hassle later (e.g., background check, diploma copy, etc).

Budget will depend on your lifestyle.  Decent all inclusive apt in main district in Saigon will run you US$450-US$650 per month.  Food will run you about US$10 per day.

Wow, thanks for the great advice! I wonder why Vietnam prefer only western looks? I mean Australia, UK, Canada, US all have their own dialects, let alone different regions within the country. But I'm assuming that's just culture.
I will be leaving in 6 months, be as prepare as I can, and hoping for the best.

it's not limited to Vietnam.  From what I've read, happens everywhere else in Asia too.

ksr2x, I would like to hear more on reasons why you would think that acquiring VN citizenship is not a good idea.  It's definitely a controversial topic depending on who you talked to but from what I gathered there a number of local VKs already acquired dual citizenship, and plenty in the US have gotten dual for many years.  And none of them has mentioned anything about being 'disowning'.

Anyhow, it may be "off topic" for this particular thread so if we can exchange facts and experiences privately it would be great.  Thanks!

ksr2x wrote:

Viet-American here.

First, I would avoid trying to get a Vn citizenship as someone else suggested.  If you're a US citizen, then the US will "disown" you since you actively pursued a citizenship with another country.  Not worth it to simply avoid Visa runs.  Google for more information.

ksr2x wrote:

First, I would avoid trying to get a Vn citizenship as someone else suggested.  If you're a US citizen, then the US will "disown" you since you actively pursued a citizenship with another country.

False. The U.S. doesn't recognize or care about your dual citizenship, legally or politically.

@knguyeen112 You might find a teaching job after a lot of searching but your pay will be significantly less when compared to your Caucasian peers. The parents are paying a lot of money and they want a teacher with white skin - regardless of his/her qualifications.

This post from the US State Department is very informative:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … ality.html

Due to time constraints, not going to go into the intricacies of my statement re actively wanting to become a citizen of another country while still a US citizen.  Never said it was not legal, only that it will cause potential issues.  The DOS link above hints at the potential problems in the third paragraph that I warn about.  They word it nicely for obvious reasons, but there are other sources out there that are more direct.  If anyone wants to still pursue, don't let my comment stop you!! ;)

What an interesting topic.  Besides ease of entrance in and out VN. What other benefits would one want to go through the hassle of getting a dual citizenship? I'm assuming tax breaks on starting your own business?

Read it again and again.  Nowhere said the US will disown its citizens.  Unless that person decided to join local government party, and felt like walking up to the US embassy and burning the American flag.  Then I myself disown that person. ;-)

Anyhow, appreciate all sharing the info.

knguyeen112 wrote:

What an interesting topic.  Besides ease of entrance in and out VN. What other benefits would one want to go through the hassle of getting a dual citizenship? I'm assuming tax breaks on starting your own business?

If you find yourself in trouble with the cong an even if you weren't looking for it, then you wouldn't want to be treated like a local. People who are a problem for them...they disappear. Not sure how it works with dual citizenship but I doubt they'd give you that phone call to the US embassy.

There was an incentive about importing your used car from the states but like every law, it's deliberately vague and stories of cars being impounded upon arrival without correct documentation etc. I think it also changed so that you had to be a Viet Kieu and offered a job in the Civil Service... as if that would ever happen.

I'd stick with the 5 year VEC, you don't even need to leave the country to renew it.

ksr2x wrote:

Never said it was not legal, only that it will cause potential issues.

No, you just said the US will disown (legally punish) you for actively pursuing dual citizenship - which is patently false.

ksr2x wrote:

The DOS link above hints at the potential problems in the third paragraph that I warn about.

Sounds like you really don't know what you're talking about. What do you think the US embassy or Consulate does when an American (Viet-kieu or not) is arrested overseas (not just Vietnam)?

They will NOT:

1. get you out of jail
2. state whether you're guilty or innocent in court
3. provide legal advice/services
4. serve as interpreters
5. cover your legal or medical fees.

Additionally, do you think the U.S. government would step in to aid you or your family when you suddenly go missing (or get locked up in some dark Communist hole) overseas? Absolutely not.

You can obey the laws of country you're visiting or stay at home. American citizenship will not protect you in any meaningful way when you aren't under their jurisdiction.

ksr2x wrote:

...but there are other sources out there that are more direct.

No, there aren't and those "sources" probably lied about their actions or intentions.

The only real source is the U.S. Department of State and they couldn't care less about your dual-citizenship unless you're applying for citizenship in a Middle Eastern country,

It definitely doesn't work for everyone such as political activists.  But for normal gents who want to live peaceful then it may be an "option".  Like everything in life ... you take and give.  If you want all the conveniences and advantages of having a VN passport and be a citizen of VN, then you need to follow local laws.  And of course there are some potential risks as the country is not as open or as free as western world.

So bottom line ... US will leave you alone for having dual citizenship, and will help you as much as within its power to assist you should get into local trouble.  But local laws supersede US laws.

PS.  Based on my US immigration lawyer friend ... US doesn't "disown" you.  Should the unfortunate moment arises, US will give you an opportunity to choose side.  Renounce US or VN.  Pick one.

Hi everybody,

Some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Lets avoid political debate on Expat.com, it is strictly prohibited according to the forum code of conduct.

Thanks,

Priscilla

I'm  Korean-American- lived in the US most  of my life. I know that discrimination exists in Taiwan. It's possible, but  you have to work/look harder.

One of my son-in-laws has dual Irish and American Citizenship. He does own a law firm. So, I expect that he understands the ramifications. My much cruder understanding is that what matters most is the other than American Citizenship countries law especially if you are physically present in that country.