Retiring to Slovenia?

We are a couple in our late fifties, presently living in Hertfordshire, considering retirement in Slovenia.
Whilst we have done some research e.g. geography, cost of living, tax and finances, weather, bureaucratic requirements etc etc, what we are really struggling with is trying to get a feel for actually living there. We have visited the region many times - and intend to go there again this year - but that is not quite the same as residing in a place 24/7.
At this stage are chief concerns are:
•    The language. Apparently dreadful to learn and of no use outside the country, but English is spoken by many, especially young, Slovenes.  Slovenian is vital if you need a job, but we won't. But how difficult is it to access regular services e.g. electricians, plumbers, garage mechanics etc if you haven't mastered the language? Is German or Italian widely spoken in the appropriate areas?
•    Social integration. How difficult is it outside major towns and cities? Heavily dependent upon language? Relative friendliness of locals?
•    Property / house purchases – any particular traits to note (beyond bureaucracy)? Is it best to rent first?
•    So far we haven't been able to identify a strong expat community there? Any organisations on the ground you would recommend?

Thanks in anticipation,

Hey Blenheim1!

Welcome to Expat.com

I live in Austria and can only give you my advice and thoughts.

Living in smaller towns and out of popular tourist areas you will find less people speak English, or if they do know the language they are more shy in using it.

German and Italian are spoken the closer you get to the borders.

Personally, I would rent first and see how you feel within the area.
You could try https://www.airbnb.com/s/Slovenia first and test the water.

There are a few Brits living in Slovenia so I hope they will post some more information for you.

Which part of the country are you thinking of staying in?

I live in a small village high in the hills near Kobarid in the Soca Valley. I'm told that 15 years ago there wasn't even a telephone there but I've been welcomed wonderfully well. Not everyone here speaks English but enough do that I've managed to get by pretty well. Down in Kobarid many more speak English and most speak Italian as the border is just a few kilometers away. Anyone involved in the tourism industry is also likely to speak some German.

My impression is that the nearer you are to the larger towns and cities the more English is spoken, and the younger people learn it at school.

I bought my house three years ago and at the moment I live there 6 months of the year as my elderly father needs my help part of the time and is still in the UK, but once I've fully retired I'll move there permanently (Brexit deals and residency permitting). I adore the country and the people and can't wait to be there full time.

If you've made sense of the tax system you're doing better than I am - finding anyone who can compare the UK and Slovenian systems is hard and they seem very different. But apart from that I've had few problems. My neighbours have helped translate where necessary with heating engineers and other tradesmen but I've found that they are often family firms in this area and while the father may not speak much English there is often a son who does.

If you're buying then I recommend checking out an agent such as Think Slovenia, who have a steady stream of properties and who help you through the process. Very friendly and were a great help to me.
http://thinkslovenia.com/

Good luck in your search and if you've any other questions just drop me a line

Bill Marshall

Hi
We are Ann and John.  We live near Krsko, up a small mountain with vineyards.  Quite near the Croatian border.  We retired early and moved here 7 years ago from Cheltenham. I am 61 and John is 65.

We love it here and this is definitely home (barring Brexit).  We have many Slovene friends and some UK friends, although there are not many in our area.

We are trying to learn the language......

We have survived some major emergencies - John had a major heart attack and needed a stent two years ago.  I have had emergency treatment for asthma.  The treatment has been rapid, very efficient and caring.

If we can help in any way, just let us know.

Ann and cJohn

Thank you so much for you kind and friendly post.
As I say we are presently immersed in our Slovene research but unfortunately find there is little here in the way of ‘human' support e.g. we attended ‘A Place in the Sun' exhibition in London recently but unless you're interested in retiring to the Iberian peninsula, Italy, France or Florida there is not much practical advice available.
Our chief concerns at the moment are:
1.    Finding reliable and trustworthy lawyers and estate agents at ‘both ends'! All advice seems to indicate that having separate and independent, fully bilingual, agencies is essential.
2.    Health care. Our assumption (hopefully incorrect) is that after Brexit, UK citizens resident in Europe will be classed as non-EU in the same way as say Americans are now. Thus we are concerned about how this will affect our access to the Slovenian health care system and, in particular, the apparently essential private insurance market especially when we already have some ‘pre-existing' conditions! So, just wondering how you are faring in this regard?
3.    Integration into local community (when mastering the language is frankly unlikely) and links with any ex-pats.

We have two trips to Slovenia  planned for later this year. Meanwhile if you can provide any more advice that would be most appreciated.

Hi

We have a trustworthy reliable lawyer who has carried on looking after us after our purchase.  Whilst his secretary is bilingual and was great, for the actual purchase signing a legal bilingual interpreter was required and they arranged this.

We also went house hunting with a very good and honest estate agent who seemed very trustworthy, although ultimately someone else found us the property we bought.  We are eleven years later, still good friends with this person and his family and meet up.

As for health care - private insurance was ridiculously expensive and completely unaffordable.  Even the agent who providing the quote thought it was ridiculous.  We have managed fine with our EHIC card.  For the future after Brexit, we wait to see what reciprocal arrangements will be made.  Healthcare is fantastic, efficient and kind and beats the NHS hands down (I speak as a senior nurse who worked the bulk of her career in the NHS).

We have many Slovene friends.  They like practicing their English on us and praise us for our pathetic, halting attempts at speaking their language.  We do have lessons and our teacher has become one of our best friends and all of her extended family who we holiday with.  We have ex pat friends too and they are also well integrated into their communities.

If you would like to meet up and ask us any questions on one of your trips here, do let us know.

Best wishes

Ann

Thanks for your interesting reply.  Overall, sounds like you fell on your feet 11 years ago!

I must admit the health issue (even more than the language) is what is presently concerning us the most.

Thank you so much for your invitation to meet up. Very kind. Would either Wednesday 21st or Thursday 22nd June be possible, or alternatively we could leave it until our second trip in September?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jon

Hi Jon

Either of those dates look good for us.  However, we are waiting to hear from our son who lives in Malaysia.  They plan to come in June or July.  As usual, it will be last minute depending on getting the visa for our Indonesian daughter in law and our granddaughter.

Where will you be staying/searching?

Can you email reply on ***

We would like to tell you about an estate agent we do not recommend!

Best wishes

Ann

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear mr Bill,

I born in srilanka, Citizen of Finland  who live in England in Maidstone, now I am pensioner. I like to come and live in Slovenia with my family, wife and 3 sons.
Please can you give some information about Slovenia and the society with your experience.
Witch city's best for for foreigners?
How can I find a cheap rent house ?

Thank you
Milton

Hi, would you mind sharing th name if the lawyer?