The other side of the Slovenian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Slovenia, how would you describe the two sides of your Slovenian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

horrible
just good to be retired there with alot money or being tourist...or else for living is horrible. no job, no money, everything expensive with low salary, ppl r racist especially when u need them in offices. lackage of doctor with a bad medical system, difficult language, etc...

Some thoughts :

Living here is much better than living in England. It is much more relaxed. It is also much cheaper.
The people are very friendly and helpful, but also often unreliable if you want work done.
The language is a bit tricky but, if you try, you can get by. Most people speak German and a good number also speak some English.
The health system is very much better than it is in the UK. I pay a 'top up' of about 250 euros a year and get everything free.
Items like cars are very expensive, but property tax is very cheap.
The food tends to be 'foreign.' It is good if you like smoked dried meat but do not expect to find much in the way of 'western' luxuries or 'ready meals.' Personally, I am sick and tired of living on pork and chicken.

Official business has to be conducted in Slovene and can be very slow and time consuming ... I signed about 12 forms to get a new mains electricity fuse.
Before moving here, you must be aware of, for example, the tax system. You will almost certainly have to pay more tax than you were.
To live here throughout the year, you need temporary residence, which has to be renewed every year for 5 years before you can apply for permanent residence. Citizenship is very difficult to get.
When you get permanent residence, you will be clobbered with all the taxes they can find for you.

I am retired. For working people, the language is a big hurdle, unemployment is high and wages are low.