It's been hard to look up schools

Hey friends! My name is Iviana and I'm currently living in Colorado with my husband and two children. For years, we've wanted to move to Puerto Rico but have been talked out of it or the timing just wasn't right. My whole family is from Puerto Rico and the majority of them live there. My mother and I have a two family house in San Sebastian so if we move, we'd be living in the first story, which is mine. However, we'd really love to live by the beach. We've been looking at Rincon. My biggest concern is that my son is set to start Kindergarten in the fall and my daughter follows next year. It's been hard to look up schools as it seems Puerto Rico's schools aren't easily found on google. Also, I have a successful commercial photography business here in CO and am nervous about restarting in PR. Any thoughts about schooling and business?

Welcome to the forum and soon Puerto Rico.

Your kids are young and can easily switch schools, you also have family that can investigate schools for you. Why not just come stay with the family then make decisions about schools and a permanent place? Don't drive yourself crazy. Nothing like boots on the ground.
Rey

You're so sweet thank you. You're so right!

Hi Iviana, welcome to the forum! Jobs are hard to come by in the island. Not impossible, specially in the Rincon area and you been bilingual it will help. As per the kids, they are small enough that they will pick up the language and culture before you even do. Some schools are better than others, private schools are always better but it comes with a price. You can also homeschool.

Thank you for the info! No one has said anything about the public schools. Anyone who has tried going public?

I have no clue to be honest, since I don't have any kids in school. I can tell you for my family in the island that some are better than others. I went to public schools when growing up in PR and had no issues, but times had change. Most people inthe forum either homeschool or send the kids to private schools. Hopefully some of them can enlighten us.

Hi ivianabynum,

Please note that a new thread has been created with your post on the Puerto Rico forum so that you can communicate with other members easier.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

I wouldn't be too concerned at all about your business. What type of photography do you do? If it's of people... well, you have fantastic, natural backdrops! not to mention a lot of tourists! If you do landscape, nature, etc.... again, you have fantastic scenery! Everything (almost) looks like a post card. I'd think you'd do better here.

If it's the latter and you sell photos online you'd also qualify as an Act 20 Export Services company which means you'd only pay 3-4% in income taxes. So you don't need to make as much to have the same spending money.

We did not consider public schools which do not have a good reputation (although evidently there are some good ones here & there); however, private schools are much less expensive than in the U.S. For instance, our daughter's school costed about $350/mo. plus an annual matriculation fee of a about $800 & we were quite happy with the quality of the education she received. This was in the San Juan area. Elsewhere on the island it can be cheaper still.

Hi I did a very nice summery for the best schools in PR:  [link moderated]