Do you speak Filipino?

Hallo Sir. Do you go to Praise Revival church in Davao ? My cousin Francis Dimple is
in that church. Pastor Festin is the pastor. Regards. Gideon

USAMichael wrote:

Ninety-nine percent of those who learn a foreign language speak that foreign language with an accent.  Many find an accent to be charming.  Many foreign language teachers say"do not lose your accent as it is part of who you are."
       I think Filipinos who laugh at the accents of Expats who try to speak Tagalog are very rude and show a lack of sophistication.  In other words they act like hayseeds or people from mga bundok.
        But that is okay because I do not care what many Filipinos think (especially about my accent).
         Anyway, if Filipinos could hear how they speak (or attempt) to speak) English through the ears of a native speaker, they would know I am stifling my laughter also and thinking how poor their English instruction has been.
        Only thing is I am smart enough and old enough to never let a Filipino know what I am thinking by giggling or laughing up my sleeve (which I see naive Filipinos do lahat ang oras and this betrays their uber-ignorance).

It is not speaking with accent or Speaking English with accent to be charming but it is about how other people learn fast or slow.

The logic  is if you will try to learn some others languages then make it right as the original or be sounds like the original or native  reason why locals wants to have western English accent than purely neutral because English is a western language particularly Britain and USA. The same thing as you would study or learn other languages, you would sounds funny if you could not follow the correct accent.. learning and copying the right accent is an art and it shows how intelligent are you when it comes to that part.

You could innovate things, ideas and technology in your own way but when it comes to language; if you will innovate it right within its origin then you would not be understood unless the listener is smarter than the language innovator .. it is a sort of testing someone's intelligence how brilliant is it to sounds like original or native.

Prince Dennison:  Okay, where to start...?  First of all you need to brush up your writing of English.  But I know where you are coming from and my Tagalog writing skills are much worse than your brave attempt at a written coherent argument in English.
         But back to the subject--Accents.
         I have met only one Filipino in 11 years of close association with Filipinos--five years in country, who spoke English without an accent.  He is one in a thousand.  I can pick out a Filipino accent for English faster than you can say, "pass the pancit."   Correction of accent is probably the last thing Filipino English teachers address when they deliver their subject lectures in English.  That is the same the world over.
         Listen (on the web) to how East Indians, Nigerians, Aussies, Kiwis, the Irish, Carribbean Island dwellers, etc., etc. all speak English with their own peculiar and sometimes charming, sometimes incomprehensible unique way.  It is incredibly difficult to rid yourself of your accent.  One can do it but it takes targeted study and specialized instruction.   Most times its not worth the effort (unless you are going into broadcasting).    But I think as long as your message gets across then your particular accent is not a very big deal.
          But I agree with you, on one point...the two alphabets-Tagalog and English-should receive a lot more attention in language instruction then they do now.