Art Museum Ponce PR

We just made our first visit to the art museum in Ponce, PR.    Very Nice!  It is a remarkable museum with a large collection of art that goes back to the 1500's.   The building is large, modern, well lighted with very good  signage in both Spanish and English.   We took a couple of hours to see it all, could have spent more time.

The staff are very helpful, we even met a staff member who had lived in the same town in  Alaska that we had lived in years ago - what are the odds?   We discussed art and mask making artists in the area (Ponce has many local artists) with their help we located a local mask maker artist and purchased a mask from him at his studio in town.

The museum was a pleasant surprise and they offer senior discounts on admission.   We had guests from the states with us and they loved it too.   

If you visit Ponce it is worth your time to check it out.

It is an excellent art museum for anywhere in the world. Ponce is lucky to have it, thanks to Luis Ferre.

Yes, I agree. My husband and I and our adult daughter visited the Ponce museum in June. It was impressive, fascinating and beautiful. I recommend it highly. Ponce is a lovely city. We hope to find a home somewhere in that area -- or at least in the south. We'll be there in about two weeks to begin our search!

I love this museum.

They used to have tours from local schools, not sure if they do anymore. I have the pleasure to visit it a few years back.

Sitka, there is a local artist that used to sell his "vegigantes" mask at La Guancha on the weekends. I purchased one from him a few years ago, beautiful workmanship.

Adlin20,

The staff at the museum gave me the name and address of a local artist who make masks in Ponce, we drove to his house and found him.  We had a nice visit and purchased a beautiful mask from him.  We will hang it on the wall tomorrow.  The artist is Freddy Soto, he makes some awesome masks!  And we learned that his brother lives in a CT town near our home there and also makes masks!  Small world! 

We went down to La Guancha and had a few beers and shrimp, very nice but kinda quiet as not a week end. 

We need a data base of PR artists that we can share for shopping and support.

Sitka if you like his work maybe you want to enter his info and phone in the business section

My wife and I went a couple of years ago.  It is indeed an impressive collection.  She was there principally to see Leighton's "Flaming June".  It is a remarkably striking piece, but I was captivated by the work of Miguel Pou.  I'd love to decorate with prints of his, but no one on the mainland seems to know his work.  I'm hoping prints will be easier to find on the island.

The Ponce Art Museum has the largest Pre Raphaelite art collection in the world. The collection was bought by Luis Ferrer, the founder of the museum,  when the popularity of this art form had declined in England. The Ponce Art Museum is the cultural center of Ponce with numerous smaller galleries spread around.
Miguel pou was an art teacher and also did decorative painting on furniture and walls as well as paintings. one of my friends in Ponce is his granddaughter.  Many of the old families in Ponce are  my  my neighbors. History is very present in Ponce. Ponce seems to be the forgotten part of the island. Since it is not a beach town or resort area it is a bit isolated. When Luis Ferrer built highway 52 from Ponce to San Juan Poncenos thought that everyone would flock to Ponce but the reverse took place. Everyone flocked to San Juan or this is how the story is told.
There is a very popular vejegante living in the Playa de Ponce area. His home /studio is a fascinating visit. There are many historical and unusual attractions in Ponce and many are not on the to do list of travel brochures. At some point I could put together an informal self tour guide to the unknown Ponce.

Mrkpytn,

Very interesting, I would like to learn more about the Ponce area.  The marina looked nice and had several boats, I wonder what the moorage fees run?

A list of art galleries and studios would be very helpful for folks who want to tour them or purchase art.  Do they have any type of artist co-op or outlet shop? A self guided tour for art seekers would be great!  We are looking forward to it!

I see on Youtube that Ponce has a mask festival in February sometime?  Looks like a good time - but hey, ...here in Puerto Rico the folks don't need much of an excuse to have a party! 

We went to Freddy Sotos home and studio, he was very friendly and showed us his works.   I will visit his brother in CT when we return next summer.   

The art museum had a display of masks that was impressive but it was under construction and not complete yet.

The Vegigantes festival is usually the last two weeks of February. They have parades and la Plaza de Recreo will be decorated and full on vendors with local (and some not local) made decorations. It's a great time to visit and eat some of the local food. Not to mention see some of the local mask designers competing for bragging rights.

and have some quenepas

Mrkpytn wrote:

The Ponce Art Museum has the largest Pre Raphaelite art collection in the world. The collection was bought by Luis Ferrer, the founder of the museum,  when the popularity of this art form had declined in England. The Ponce Art Museum is the cultural center of Ponce with numerous smaller galleries spread around.
Miguel pou was an art teacher and also did decorative painting on furniture and walls as well as paintings. one of my friends in Ponce is his granddaughter.  Many of the old families in Ponce are  my  my neighbors. History is very present in Ponce. Ponce seems to be the forgotten part of the island. Since it is not a beach town or resort area it is a bit isolated. When Luis Ferrer built highway 52 from Ponce to San Juan Poncenos thought that everyone would flock to Ponce but the reverse took place. Everyone flocked to San Juan or this is how the story is told.
There is a very popular vejegante living in the Playa de Ponce area. His home /studio is a fascinating visit. There are many historical and unusual attractions in Ponce and many are not on the to do list of travel brochures. At some point I could put together an informal self tour guide to the unknown Ponce.

Why do I feel meeting you is going to be an experience in itself?
Have a feeling I'm not spending enough time in your area...
We are so looking forward to coming down!

Sitka wrote:

Mrkpytn,

Very interesting, I would like to learn more about the Ponce area.  The marina looked nice and had several boats, I wonder what the moorage fees run?

A list of art galleries and studios would be very helpful for folks who want to tour them or purchase art.  Do they have any type of artist co-op or outlet shop? A self guided tour for art seekers would be great!  We are looking forward to it!

I see on Youtube that Ponce has a mask festival in February sometime?  Looks like a good time - but hey, ...here in Puerto Rico the folks don't need much of an excuse to have a party! 

We went to Freddy Sotos home and studio, he was very friendly and showed us his works.   I will visit his brother in CT when we return next summer.   

The art museum had a display of masks that was impressive but it was under construction and not complete yet.

I'll talk about the mooring fees when I get there!
It 'was' the main reason for our visit on the South Coast, but I'm learning of so much more.
Ponce looks like quite an area!

Ponce has that tropical realism that you can find in a Gabriel Garcia Marquesa novel. When you live there these anecdotes catch you by surprise. For example our neighbor across the street is the director of the Montreal Opera Company and on occasions we have live recitals. It is a busy corner so you can get a prime seat when there is a parade or some event taking place. On weekends we can get loud kids heading back home from the bars other days it can be so quiet.