Expat safety in Tunisia

Hello everyone;

I have been working for a short time assignment in Tunis.
In mean time, I do travel to Nabeul, Hammamet, Sousse and Sfax due to the work. I really appreciate and enjoy staying in Tunisia. This is a lovely country with a good hearted people.

The latest turmoil in Tunisia had caused instability in living and travelling for everybody not just for the expat and tourist.

Does the condition is better and back to normal now?.

I notice that this issue was never bring up by any expat before.

Everything is cool here. the media shows what they want to show. You can come back safetly in Tunisia. It is a pacific country...

Hows the situation now ? political disturbance still there or its calm now ? any post riots affect on living expenses ?

Je ne suis pas depuis longtemps ici mais je me suis faite agressee ! et on m'a dit que c'etait de ma faute car j'avais un collier ! pourtant je croyais etre dans un quartier "safe"
Mon epoux et les enfants s'installent et les affaires arrivees par douane ont ete livre qu'a condition de payer 150 TND au lieu des 5 TND que nous avons decouvert sur la facture remise ...
En qq jours j'ai pleins d'anecdotes de ce genre, rassurez moi ....

Hi [email protected], you should write in English on this Anglophone forum, so that each member may understand and participate.

Note that there exists also a Francophone forum.

Harmonie.

Been living here since almost a year. Travelled all the country right from the south (Tataouine) to the north (Bizerte) and everywhere in between. The country is safe, never felt in danger even a little bit. No problems whatsoever.

Hi Friends,

I have been offered an Engineering job in Tunisia and it is a 03 months contract.

The company is not providing visa, ticket etc. All expenses must have to be paid by me. They have asked me for my monthly expectations and I have told them that I can only let you know the expected rate only after doing some research on the living expenses in Tunisia.

For this purpose, I want your help. if anybody can answer the following queries:

1. What is the housing rent cost. (What is the monthly rent for a small home with 1,2 rooms, kitchen and bathroom)
2. What is the procedure of renting a home?  I mean is it on monthly basis or advanced rent for 1 year?
3. What are the average meal expenses for a single person (Per month)
4. What will be the transportation cost i-e Taxi or bus considering extensive travel.
5. Considering that it is only a 03 month contract, and that the company is not providing Visa/ticket etc, what do u suggest should be the monthly pay in US Dollars?
6. What will be the income tax?
7. Is 1000USD enough for all the expenses of One bedroom house, Transport, meal, phone calls to Pakistan, and other day to day expenses

Looking forward to hear soon from you.

Best Regards,
Hannan Majeed

Hi Majeed,

The monthly expenses in Tunisia= at least 20% of the salary.
So the 1000$ seems to be enough even if you live in a Hotel.
In fact, it could be recommendable for a 3 months contract.
By the way could you say what is your speciality ?

Regards,
F. Tayeb

Dear Tayeb,

I am a Telecom Engineer.

I have to bear all the expenses from A-Z like Accommodation, Transport, electricity, water, gas, internet, mobile communication, food etc. Do you still think 1000 USD will be enough?

On forums I have seen that a decent flat will be around 600DT per month atleast which means around 400 USD will be spent on accommodation only. Similarly, around 300 USD for food, 100 USD for internet and electricity. Do u think i can manage the transport, mobile communication in around 200USD?