Looking to retire in India - Kodaikanal

Hi All

I am a 46 year old married female from South Africa.  We are looking to retire in Kodaikanal.  We want to buy property .  We are not how the processes work to apply for citizenship/emigration to India.

Hi Zarere,

Welcome on board  :)

I suggest you contact the bureau of immigration : http://boi.gov.in/ they will be able to guide you.

You may also read the articles under the Visas in India section of the Expat Guide.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank You so much Bhavana

hello ,you are welcome to india,i will help you to buy property in this place,i have my own houseboats in kerala,pls send me details on my mailid

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you

Hi Anilashraf,

It would be appreciated that you give some useful information on the forum [instead in private] so that everyone can benefit from it.

Thank you.
Christine

Hi
Iv just spent 3 years living in Kochi Kerala!
Be very very careful! Foreigners cannot buy property independently, you need an Indian partner be it personal or business, and they will own 51% of anything you buy, it's the law! Giving them the right to take it back from you at anytime without paying you any money for your 49%!!!!!
Check your paperwork over and over and OVER again! There is a lot of cheating that goes on with property, land etc, it is very difficult for anyone to buy here!
My advice is to rent! It's so cheap and you will not be cheated out if your money!
On a positive note India is so beautiful and the people are lovely it was the best 3 years I have had! just be aware of your surroundings and local friends, and I would also tell you to remember that as Foreigners we look affluent to the locals and the majority think we are very very rich? This can be a hinderance as you will be constantly asked for money!

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Promotion of your own services is not allowed on the forum. Kindly register your services in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you , I appreciate your honesty.  I have also heard from another source that we are not able to buy on our own

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Proposing services
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Many Thanks for you assistance.  I will contact you when we are ready

I totally agree with 'Lynn2'. It would be best to rent or Lease the property. The later would be an ideal option as you'll have your money back at the end of your stay. Serviced apartments are trending. Kodaikanal is a wonderful choice to settle down.

What about buying a property , will it be difficult to buy property in Kodai

Unfortunately, YES. It will be hard as the existing law makes it harder for the foreigners to buy any property but not impossible. The main reason is; the people you approach there to buy property will see you as 'A rich foreigner' and try to benefit as much as they can by taking advantage of your situation. Be it a local middle man/attorney or a govt official (For the record: not all of them are bad).

If you have a trust worthy local or a friend who has some knowledge and influence in the area then your changes are bright. You have to do your homework before buying the property. Like, approach NGO's and expat associations to make friends and find out who can actually help you on this. This indeed will help you to understand the pulse of the real estate market in Kodai and which political person holds the power in real estate business and how can you make your move smart.