My Passport is with my employer

Hi
Im new here in bahrain ans just landed a job in a hospital as a nurse.
I have waited a long time for the processing of requirements.
Now that my cpr is finished, they will only give the cpr but not the passport.
Is this legal? Is it in the labor law that passport should be with the employer? Should I demand to get my passport?
Thank you.

Employers have no right to take your passport if he doing this you can complaint against him in LMRA
Here is complete details from LMRA Link

If i will do that.. would they still going to hire me after my probation? Im fearing for retaliation. Maybe they would not treat me right.

what nationality are you?
what happens to the passports of other non-probationed employees of your nationality?
what is their response when you ask your colleagues this question?

Actually i have not started yet working due to my license on process. When i get the license then i will start working.. i dont know anyone in the hospital.. by the way im filipino. I got a message from a filipino and she said she also experienced the same. All hospitals she worked., they took her passport while on probation.. after probation she will just ask her boss or the hr and they would give..... i dont know for me.

Look these things you need to clear before joining any organization.
Now if you ask for your passport they will ask unnecessary questions.... And definitely that will effect your Job.
Try to tell them why you need passport and be honest with them i hope they cooperate with you.

Your employer has no right to keep ur passport with out it consent .  If they want to keep it tell them to give u a receipt for it

Sadly it is difficult to talk with the hr.. z i was so depresses after talking with them..

Don't worry.  It is same everywhere.  They expect u to be ur slaves.  But stay strong and don't let them keep ur passport.  Once ur residence permit is stamped take it back

zeeshanakhter2009 wrote:

Look these things you need to clear before joining any organization.

not that easy mate. For example, if you are new to the GCC, you won't be aware that this even happens. And even if you get a verbal agreement prior to arriving that it won't happen, it doesn't mean they won't lie to you and break their word.

After doing your probation, politely ask for it back. If that doesn't work, email to make a more formal request. If this still doesn't work, contact your embassy and ask them to intervene.

Thanks a lot...

Be frank with them tell them you need ur passport to be with you ,if they dont give you then go to police they should get it within 24 hours

Hello,
How many weeks did you get the medical license???

Employers cannot hold on to your passport. It belongs to the government of your country. Ask for it. If they don't give it back, seek help of the embassy of your country.

I am facing same problem my passport is with my company they are not giving me as per goverment rules its illegal to keep passport he is saying i will not the passport.

I have covered this issue before and put it in a sticky even :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=841333

@Farhaz all sponsor holding the passport I don't know why they are holding passport. Passport is our personal id. Different rule in law and different rule of Bahrain sponsor no body taking stik action regarding the holding passport.

This is a very old post and Farhaz is not active on the forums anymore.   And you can get your passport back by going to the police.  I have never handed over my passport to any employer in UAE, Bahrain or Saudi.  Any employer who even mentions it, I don't go for a job like that. 

@Sunder Singh all sponsors are not holding passports. I worked with 3 law firms in Bahrain before and none hold my passport. Since I started business we never hold any employee passport. As per Bahrain law employer can hold your passport if he give you in writing an acknowledgement that he is keeping your passport. If you refuse then he cannot force you to keep it with him. 

@Sunder Singh its illegal to hold the passport

@khalidkhanblog  Greetings to you Sir.  My visit visa sponsor is holding into my passport which he collected to do ab extension for my visa however he refused to return it upon mu request and its 6 months already.  Through a power of attorney I appointed a lawyer to file a case at the police station he still did not show up and my lawyer told me the case was forwarded to the public prosecution for further investigation.  It has been 2 months already at the public prosecution. And 5 months since I filed the case. However I feel the case is taking time and this indian man in possession of my passport is living his life freely meanwhile I cannot work,  I cannot live the country, I am stuck in h this position.  Will the case get more serious which he should be penalized by the law..... please sir help your response and advice will be helpful

Get a better lawyer to follow up with public prosecution.  Yes, he can be forced to give it back to you.

@XTang hi good evening Sir and thank you once more for your response and enlightenment to all manner of expat issues.  I followed your advice and replaced the lawyer handling my case in relation to my sponsor holding unto my passport for almost 8 months now , threatening me and refusing to hand over my documents upon request.  My case was delaying for 6 months because my former law was not doing anything but asking for more money.  My new lawyer told me he had issued a warof arrest and a circular, few days ago the public prosecutor requested i pay some money for my what's app chat which is evidence to be translated to Arabic. Also I filed a civil case for compensation because I have lost a lot all this while.  At this stage sir I'm still worried, its taking so much time, I cannot work, its hard to feed or even have a decent life. I am struggling to survive and he is living peacefully.  What more can I do to help my situation sir

@XTang like you said sir he can be forced to return my passport.  How can my lawyer use legal force to recover my documents.  Also he is jn bahrain and has not left the country. 

For passport do a complaint with the police and provide your lawyer the record.

@XTang my first lawyer already made complaint but he did not show up at the police station reason he told me the case was forwarded at the level of the public prosecutor. Please sir do I need to file a second complaint?

Yes