Moving to Siem reap

Hello! I'm currently working as a Marketing Manager  in Phnom Penh. I like my job as well as the people i'm working with but the problem is that the city is too crowded anymore. Not my kind of thing, i just want to stay in a quiet place and enjoy my solitude. So, i'm planning to move to siem reap. Any insights? Much appreciated. Thanks.

I checked out all the locations in Cambodia an expat would typically live including Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville and Siem Reap. Siem Reap is in my opinion by far the best option and I moved here recently. Good infra structure including hospital, shops and a shopping mall etc, good housing, lots to do and see and the town centre is quite big. It is generally a great place with friendly people.

Thanks George. Much appreciated.

I have been in Siem Reap for 7 years and much prefer it to PP.

Traffic is getting a little intense, though not on PP scale, and there is construction everywhere. It is also getting dirtier by the day but it is still a pretty good place to live. A plethora of restaurants have sprung up in the last couple of years and it is easy to get to the surrounding countryside.

Thanks Hannostamm. I'm on my to Siem Reap now and maybe try to explore a little bit.

SOLITUDE in Siem Reap...... to me a contradiction, but that is personal.

Being a marketing manager would you not put first emphasis to jobs?
I mean first getting a job and wherever that is try to find a nice place to stay?

Siem Reap is nice and has certain advantages, if you don't mind 1 million tourists strolling over the city per year, nearly 3000 each day....

It's all personal. I live in Sihanoukville and it is the best solution to fulfill solitude, natural beauty, clean air and not too many tourists.
When I sit at the beach, watching sunset over the sea, enjoy a barbecued squid meal at the beach, in a comfortable chair, I know I did it right to stay here, it fulfills my dreams of a great place to be.

Good luck with your choice!

Hey Joe

Can you please tell me what the internet connection is like in Sihanoukville.

Regards
Andrea

AndreaJonas Off topic of course but I will give a short answer.
As usual there are differing circumstances and then also different results.
I am connected to Metfone and it works great for me. Others are satisfied with other providers, so it depends on where you are, the provider and the demands you have.
I must add that I don't download videos, music, don't stream any sports programs, so my "hunger" for high speed is relative.
I find the wifi I have reliable, it works even in thunderstorms, it is faster than my last location in Thailand, so I'm very satisfied with it. I live in a bungalow area and pay $4 per month, so that is also nice.

Hope that helps.

Joe

JoeKhmer, I work online so I need quite a fast and strong internet.  I am probably going to stay in Siem Reap and need to find out about this before I come over.  Do you have any ideas how I can find reliable info on this.  The upload speeds are important.

Andrea, I cannot give you info about that, and certainly not concerning SR.

I just did a speedtest here in Sihanoukville, in the middle of a thunderstorm, and the result is 13 Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload. I have no idea how fast or slow that is, it's wonderful for me.

I would not trust the data given by providers, as of course they are rose-tinted.

If you are in the country consider to test it yourself, go to SR, get connection and take a speedtest.

Here a link with some info, also contact info re providers.
http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srcomm.htm

Good luck!

I just ran the speedtest again, after the storm settled, comes to 9.72 Mbps upload.

Hi

I am still in South Africa.  I am in the process of doing my research and planning before I come over.  I work online so it would be pointless coming over if I can't do my work because of slow or bad internet.  Not there yet, so I can't do a speed test in SR. Well, I must say your speeds are a hell of a lot better than what I get here in South Africa.  My download is 3.5 and my upload is 0.4 compared to your 7.  Not too shabby.  I am trying to find out what the speeds are like in Seam Reap.  If all else fails at least I know I will be able to work in Sihanoukville.  Would you mind very much doing a few random speed tests for me during peak times so i can see how much they drop between 7 and 10pm?  Thanks for all your help so far, much appreciated.

Wow so it's even higher after the storm.  Really awesome.  I am sure i read somewhere that speeds are better in PP and Sihanoukville than SR.  Maybe I should start researching more about living in Sihanoukville.  Definitely don't want to live in PP.  What do you do for income there?

I'm very busy to be a retiree every day.... Kidding. I am retired, after a life of hard work and now I enjoy the benefits of all those years paying taxes and social security. My two pensions are sent to my Cambodian bank account so everything works smoothly.

I enjoy every minute of every day, which is not difficult when living in this seaside resort with great weather, beaches everywhere and a nice not-too-big city with fresh sea-air and full of nice people :)

Good for you.  I'm glad you are enjoying your life there!  Hope I can do the same one day.