Adapting to the climate in Madagascar

Hello everyone,

Adjusting to new climatic conditions is key in any expatriation process. Moving to Madagascar is no exception.

What are the climate characteristics of Madagascar?

How does the local weather impact your daily life, mood or health?

What are the pros and cons of the climate in Madagascar?

Share you advice and help people adapt quickly to their new weather environment.

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

is there cases of Pollen Allergies like asthama etc. ?

I have seen a few children use asthma inhalers.  Mostly during the times of harvest season, perhaps from the pollen of corn and rice, then their are the tall wild grasses during the rainy season.

I check the weather daily from AccuWeather which also gives health forecasts
http://m.accuweather.com/en/mg/mahajang … her/229077

The best way to adapt to the climate in your region of Madagascar is to watch how the locals live.

For me on the west coast I like to rise about 3am and am prepared to do the heavy lifting and major work just before sunrise and work till 10 or 11am. The mornings is when it is about 22 degrees C.
In the Middle of the day I relax with slow easy work, and perhaps a nap.   
During the day, temperatures can climb to 34 degrees C. with feel-like weather in the forties and being  humid -so a couple of cold showers will ease the situation. 

I am not a cold weather person, so adapting to warmer and hot weather is not a problem for me.
Madagascar weather environment fits in with my  rise early daily life style, keeps me in a good mood and reflects in my health as I feel better here than than any of the places I have traveled to. 

I do have air conditioning, and only in the bedroom. I do not like this form of cooling system for health reasons, so I rarely use it except for 2 or 3 hours at night. Not so much to cool off the room for I sleep well with temps around 25degrees C. Mostly I use it to clear out the Humidity in the room.   And again mostly in the summer and at the time of this posting there is no need for Air Con because of the cool dry temps now at night about 22 degrees.

In the highlands it is a bit cooler so you may even wear light jacket. However, I prefer the tropical breeze of the coast and the low key, laidback activities that comes along with living on the coast. 

The island Madagascar is well below the equator with  The Tropic of Capricorn  dissecting southern Madagascar, from  Vangaindrano, in the east to Tulear in the west.

Thank you.