How much will it cost to build a house?

Hi there, please advice - we're wondering how much would it cost to build a 120sqm house with 3-4BR and 2BA (bungalow/ranch style) doesn't need to be expensive but decent/strong enough materials to live for many many years. I just want to know ROUGHLY how much it could cost and how long would it take to build it? I am thinking Cavite, Batangas or Cebu.

Thank you!

Dimples, on my Facebook page I have been posting the progress videos of my house as it is being built. I started with just a shell and lot... cost P470,000,00. I showed from start to present... Upon completion it will be a 3bdr + a Master's Suite + a separate maid's quarters... it's all captured on video so there are no questions as to the facts. Upon completion my out of pocket for construction cost will not be over P600,000,00. I will inbox you my Facebook contact information so you can view for your self. I have a lot of videos I have made that I share with my friends from the United States because many are Pensioners like me that just want to live stress free.

obviously this could vary a lot depending the contractors you hire /materials used etc ,cebu is an island ,do you want to build in the city or some other area -near sea /beach  ,why not google for some contractors in these areas and contact them for quotations

As a retired architect I agree somewhat with the post above. However, if you do not have at least a conceptual plan the contractors can only give you an order of magnitude quote - which will probably be 2 or 3 times what the actual cost would be.

If you are serious get a plan drawn up and then get three quotes.

That's the only way to know for sure.

Due diligence is the spice of life.

Oh another thing you can do is - when you have decided where you want to live ask some of the homeowners in the area how much their house cost and who did the construction.

If you ask 3 people and get 3 answers you have a pretty good idea of what it's going to cost.

The cost of building a ranch style house, I think, will range from PhP 2 million - 4 million, or even more.  It will depend on finishing, i.e. the tiles you plan to use, fixtures, type of windows, etc.

For example, low maintenance tiles that would last for many years are generally more expensive. Windows from cheapest to most expensive: glass louver (or "jalousies), steel windows (that you would need to paint every few years), aluminum, and uPVC.

Full baths are generally more expensive than 3/4 bathrooms. To give you an idea of how much it would cost for a small 3/4 bath, the one I have at my office with standard brand toilet, water closet, outdated tiles, a simple shower without a heater, shower curtain, plus labor cost less than 20k. The one at home, just the toilet, rain shower, sink, water heater, fixtures cost close to 50k. That does not include the tile work, shower enclosure, and counter top.

You will need to put security grills on windows. You might also need to put a fence around your property.

Also, a house is not just the structure or finishing. You would also need appliances. For hot water, will you be installing single point water heaters, multi point water heaters, or a solar powered water heater tank that you place on your roof? Do you think you would feel comfortable with just electric fans? Aircon price would vary from 14k to 35k depending on the size of your room and the type of aircon (split type, window type, inverter)

If you're going to hire a contractor, the time it would take depends on the contractor.  If you're not planning to hire a contractor and just manage the construction yourself, the time frame will depend on how much time you would spend on the site (to see if the workers are not slacking). I started construction of my house February of 2014. It was around January when we moved in (or more like eased in.)

You might want to get in touch with an expat here, teejay4103. He built an 80 sqm house in Silang Cavite.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

I started construction of my house February of 2014. It was around January when we moved in (or more like eased in.)

It took almost a year before we moved in around January 2015.

Try to stay on budget. Like with weddings, it's easy to go over budget when it comes to building a house.

dimplesz14 wrote:

Hi there, please advice - we're wondering how much would it cost to build a 120sqm house with 3-4BR and 2BA (bungalow/ranch style) doesn't need to be expensive but decent/strong enough materials to live for many many years. I just want to know ROUGHLY how much it could cost and how long would it take to build it? I am thinking Cavite, Batangas or Cebu.

Thank you!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

First I will give you a link to step by step construction of your home. Materials quality vary greatly, especially if you are using hollow block.  Even if you hire out your construction you can save money by buying your own materials. Take the time to check out local suppliers / makers of hollow block and you will find that most will also supply your sand, gravel, cement / mortar, rebar, etc. at a package price. The hollow block varies greatly in quality. A simple test is to hold the block chest high and drop it on a firm surface (not concrete), it should not crack or crumble. Tap it with a rubber mallet and it should not crack or crumble. This is your homes bones, so don't be afraid to tell the supplier, NO thanks.

Follow the instructions in the supplied link and study and familiarize yourself with the foundation, rebar, and concrete mixing requirements. The foundation, the block and rebar and the properly mixed concrete is your homes strength. If you are lazy and do not do your homework and get the shaft from your contractor, you can only blame yourself. 

One of the many permit requirements for your home requires keeping track of daily labor charges and materials used and in our area this had to be submitted when we applied for the final inspection and certificate of occupancy.  Tedious but important. 

Our house is 88 sq mtrs.  Big enough for two people and very manageable when it comes to maintenance.  We have split system AC for the house, 3 units, two for the main area including kitchen, dining, living and one bath. The master bedroom has its own unit and the guest bedroom has none.

The approximate cost for building our home including insulated steel roof, steel roof trusses, filled 5 inch hollow block throughout the house, 9 1/2 foot ceilings, electrical, plumbing, septic system, tiled floors throughout the house, powder coated aluminum frame windows with reflective glass and screens, doors and hardware, window grilles, granite counter tops, custom cabinets and paint was about 2 million pesos. 

Obviously prices vary depending on what and where you build. We have discussed our costs with others since our build and found some people saying we were high, though most found it to be average for the area.  With our research , we are satisfied and in the end that is all that matters.

Remember, to check the soil conditions where you purchase for good drainage and good compacted soil on which to build. 

Our AC units installed were $2, 400 dollars.  LG brand, now 1 year old with no problems,  June bill around 3200 pesos.

I hope this was of some help and good luck.

http://myphilippinelife.com/our-philipp … ry-survey/

Thank you all for your advice, it's greatly appreciated. Your advice are very helpful and I can't thank you all enough!

Most cities have "homebuilder" companies who will do package jobs on your home design sketch. They should have done properties before and give you a reference or more to inquire. WHICH YOU VISIT. doing it yourself with local people will accomplish the building much cheaper but the finished house will not be as nice as the experienced home building company. Sometimes a secondhand house is a good buy then modify it or demolish like we did. The Filipino are good builders but poor "finishers" and so you have to pay for the the better craftsmen. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT SEEING THE PLOT. there are many options and some cheap quotes will be using the lowest price material. Again visit their completed houses for a better idea of what they can provide.

Thank you Peter Clark  -   do you think buying, flipping and selling will work in PI? I helped my boss buy, flip and sell here in the states and it's great profit ( I stage the house). I heard buying is easy in the Philippines but selling can be a nightmare? If we end up doing that it will be a small time business/project.

What are you guys' input? thanks again!!

Selling is difficult  in the Philippines unless cheap! The flippin prodjects are done all the time with local labour but not trustworthy unless u watch it going up. Scam tricks don't show for a few years.

Wow, really? I believe you. I'd like to buy a house around $10K and fix it then sell it afterwards? There's few I found online and some are bank owned properties. I know I have to be careful but if I can sell properties at least 2-3x a year that to me is worth it. Also, one of the business I am looking at is travel agency.

Thanks again Peter!

Good luck! Have you factored-in Capital Gains Tax? Sales Tax? Outstanding Subd. fees? And remember - you need to be IN THE PHILIPPINES to oversea any property build/referb. Attempting to do it from abroad is fraught with danger.

WAKE UP! If it was THAT easy..... EVERYONE would be doing it!!!!!

Thank you! I didn't know the taxes involved. We just need to think of other avenues then.

dimplesz14 wrote:

Thank you!

______________________________________________________________________________________
Here's a great guide for building a home.
http://myphilippinelife.com/building-ou … use-index/
Another link for approximate costs.
http://home-builders-philippines.com/un … ilippines/

1. As the poster is currently living in the USA, some caution should be exercised and it would be prudent to defer commitment until they return and/or have a very competent and trustworthy person to oversee any immediate project (good luck with that one dimplesz14!)

2. Perhaps move this to the general 'Philippines' Forum as the preferred build location is not DAVAO specifically, so it might gain a bit more traction with a wider audience? (just a thought).

TeeJay4103 has provided some accurate info & useful links (as always :thanks: )

IMHO when you return to the Philippines, rent, look around and see what's available at that time. You may find you end up somewhere totally different to where you are currently thinking of building. Life's funny like that!  :)

If you're a cash buyer - there's always a deal somewhere, so don't panic.

Do not buy "off plan" and do not have your relatives build the house for you. We have never yet met retirees who were happy doing it this way, despite assurances from the family.

Peter Clark wrote:

Do not buy "off plan" and do not have your relatives build the house for you. We have never yet met retirees who were happy doing it this way, despite assurances from the family.

___________________________________________________________________________________

So very true,

We have a friend from the U.S. who has been building a home in the Phil for about two years now. You guessed it, the family started the project. A family member who apparently is an architect started the job, hired the crews, etc. while the expat was here for the ground breaking and then returned to the U.S. after winter broke in New England.
He returned to find his home construction in a state of chaos. A two story house with interior load bearing walls built with 4 inch block, nor rebar and improperly mixed concrete. His materials bills were through the roof and materials paid for could not be accounted for. The money spent on labor was inconsistent with the actual progress of the job and the people on the job did not match the list of employees. He stated that the progress was the equivalent of approximately two months work by a crew of the size listed on pay receipts.
You get the picture, he got screwed by this trusted family member and at this point he estimates he has lost about 50K US on labor, unaccounted for construction materials and the cost of tearing down the poorly done work and rebuilding. He fired the guy who then attempted to sue him for doing so.  :)

Jim

Oh my what an aweful story! Well, I got relatives back home but I have no plan (even in my wildest dream) to have them help us build  our dream home. My plan is to be 100% hands on when we finally move there. I need to see the cost and in and outs of everything in a daily basis while the house is being built. I need to make sure our hard work money will be well spent. We will be renting for 3-4mos to begin with while we look for the perfect location then build a house. We are not planning to build a mansion with expensive materials, all we want is a livable pretty decent home for my family to enjoy.

Thank you all for your comments and advices as always, great appreciated!! 😊😊😊

You can build it yourself of course much cheaper about 20% with local labour. the actual building is not difficult to build but its the "finishing" that needs experts to make the finished home look nice and not DIY. There should be a local house builder who will have references to show you and owners to enquire of. Be aware hat there are no guarantees with property here but a notable home builder will always come to your rescue. Avoid flat roofs and square monstrosities with dark glass corners that appear on new subdivisions, have a simple apex roof with 1.5 meter overhang. Take the sun into all designs.

Very good info Peter Clark. Thank you. I know the finishing can be tricky. I have a background in interior design and will make sure house look as nice/americanized as possible. We like ranch style home with an open floor concept. I already have the structure and design in mind we just need to find the right location.

Thank yah all!

Miss Dimples, although the large open plan interior designs are fetching you should be aware that this is earthquake country and some walls at 90 degrees to each other will help to cushion and prevent the walls wobbling and hence the second floor slab dropping.
Not so important in single story dwellings but worth some thought in design. The proffs call the walls "bracing".

Very, very good advice from Peter Clark, and something you wouldn't necessarily think about.

I guess you could also argue that 'open plan' designs are much harder to keep cool - as the 'volume' of space requiring cooling is that much greater? Possibly? I guess much depends on natural air-flow etc....

Earthquakes in the Philippines are important when considering where to build and how to build.

This link details earthquake fault lines in the Philippines per area as they are currently known:
http://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/images/ … index.html

Tips when building an earthquake resistant home.
http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/issues/d … eady-house

TeeJay has 'upped the anti' and of course is quite correct in stating the issue of earthquakes, which needs to be seriously considered.

I got the impression the original post leant more towards the cost of quality materials and the sourcing of quality materials to build a house that stands some chance of longevity? (Notwithstanding it being raised to the ground by natural disaster). :P

Should one choose to build anywhere near an fault line or landslide prone area - I guess all that goes out the window if your house falls into a hole or gets swept down into the neighbouring zip code? :o

I have never [personally] been near the epicentre of an earthquake, but I imagine it is terrifying. Any precautions would be prudent - but I suspect without massive over-spend the 'average' home owner would be wise to avoid any 'suspect' areas altogether and take their chances in less prone areas? Same goes for flooding. Local knowledge is key.

Great info guys. Thanks a mil!

With wide open spaces ,its very  beneficial to have airflow across it either with doors open or by large open but shaded window.
Our home is a new one but added to an old bungalow and instead of having a wall across the Dining, kitchen. and reception area we left it open to the elements and the breezes from the kitchen doorway to the rear and down from our laundry area keep us cool.
Amazing to have created this by pure accident.
Of course our bedroom and bathroom were created over three double bedrooms and such like an "on suite"  as a hotel and is lockable.

Peter Clark wrote:

With wide open spaces ,its very  beneficial to have airflow across it either with doors open or by large open but shaded window.
Our home is a new one but added to an old bungalow and instead of having a wall across the Dining, kitchen. and reception area we left it open to the elements and the breezes from the kitchen doorway to the rear and down from our laundry area keep us cool.
Amazing to have created this by pure accident.
Of course our bedroom and bathroom were created over three double bedrooms and such like an "on suite"  as a hotel and is lockable.

Mr. Peter Morris Clark? How are you!!
I am the one who handled you sea shipment last 2014. Nice to see you here :)

Shane I'm not your man, no "Morris" sorry

Oh sorry Peter. I thought you're the person I handled shipment :)

I do remember expecting not to pay much my importation of personal affects by using our SRRV which is supposedly free for so much sq ft, however when trying to obtain the goods we were forced to pay a "broker" for all the signatures and then at  "smoky mountain" to collect our cardboard crate we paid again some cash.
Hopefully our new PM will clean the Customs up.

Where are you building this?

Hi planning to build a house soon in the Philippines just wanna have an idea how much will it costs me thank you

A house builder company will charge between 20 and 30,000 pesos per sq mt as a package deal. This also depends on whether you want granite floor tiles and up market fittings. Do it yourself for 60% of that cost but the finish will not be as good and the design will not be as interesting.  Building is straightforward and quite easy here in the Philippines but the foreman should be strict and have experience. Design should be to appreciate the wind and sun directions. Use modern materials ie hardieflex and PPL piping. Keep the roofing simple and have large overhangs.

If possible I would like to see your videos also. I'm planning on moving to davao in the future

Following

sirrobcentral wrote:

Dimples, on my Facebook page I have been posting the progress videos of my house as it is being built. I started with just a shell and lot... cost P470,000,00. I showed from start to present... Upon completion it will be a 3bdr + a Master's Suite + a separate maid's quarters... it's all captured on video so there are no questions as to the facts. Upon completion my out of pocket for construction cost will not be over P600,000,00. I will inbox you my Facebook contact information so you can view for your self. I have a lot of videos I have made that I share with my friends from the United States because many are Pensioners like me that just want to live stress free.

Hello
Can have have your Facebook please 😊

Its great to be on site every day or if not then give the chaps a target for the day or they'll slacken off. Simple stuff like doing tiling granite tiles and only mixing some cement when the layer asks for it instead of keeping a ready flow.  most of the work you can see when it slows but there are some workers who are good at looking busy and not actually achieving much.  My masons were plastering one wall a day until I watched a local Filipino house being built and found that they should be able to do at least 2 walls.

Hello. Plan to build houses in Davao. Do you have any advice?

Greeting Frode.