Working and living in Györ or Veszprém, Hungary

Hello everyone,

I'm a Dutch wife and my Dutch husband has been offered a job in Pápa for three years. Because I also would like to work in Hungary we are thinking about living in Györ or Veszprém. Does anyone know if these cities have English speaking job opportunities for me? Or do you have to speak Hungarian to work in these cities. When we decide to move to Hungary I would definitely would take a Hungarian course, but in won't be that good to speak Hungarian at the workplace. Budapest would be too far away from Pápa, because my husband has to be at his job within an hour. I hope that someone could answer this question, it would help me a lot! Thank you in advance.

You have not mentioned your job skills.
Papa seems like a lovely place to live, why not just move close to his new job in Papa?
I don't know how heavy the morning traffic gets during the weekdays but more then 15 mins. in traffic is a deal breaker.
Too much stress before and after a long day of work.

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for you quick response. We have heard that it is very difficult to find an English job in Pápa and that there are more English job opportunities in bigger cities. That's why we were thinking about moving to Györ or Veszprém.
I just graduated with a Master of Science in Psychology, have my degree in Cosmology and have eight years of sales experience. Unfortunately, I still don't know exactly in which area of expertise I would like to work.

Regards

For English job ideas try contacting http://veszprem.americancorner.hu/

Or the Papa air base Heavy Airlift Wing, which has quite a few English speaking support staff.

If you are a licensed psychologists may consider starting your own business catering to expats in the region.

Side note: the commute from Veszprem To Papa is not trivial. Especially in the winter.

Thank you! I will definitely check that out.

I am also a licensed cosmetologist from the US.
I knew a lady living long term in HUngary who was an American  and a cosmetologist.
She moved to Budapest with her Hungarian husband from Canada.
Her FIL decided to move the whole family back to HU around the year 1990.
Through family connections she got a hairstyling job a Laszlo Hajas salon in the 5th district.
She was an expert in coloring and did highlighting.
She said she worked for hours to make it just perfect and natural looking but would often just get a 100 forint tip! She was not making anything.'She had to quit after a few months of not making money for her hard work.
My current hairdresser in Budapest is working legal but restricted to only 4 hours a day of work by immigration. He has a partner who he shares rent with otherwise he would not make it.
A good hairdresser should be in high demand in HU because there are just so many HU hairdressers who don't seem to know how to really cut, my experiences anyways, been through at least a dozen different ones over the years, how hard is it to cut a simple but accurate  Bob? Seems very hard since few even know how to blend.
Yes, the roads can be a nightmare in the winter months so perhaps making the drive shorter for your husband would be best, he can spend more time at home then sitting in traffic.
Good luck, if you do find yourself practicing hairdressing, please let us know it may be worth the drive.
With all of your skills, I would not personally do hair as my first choice. I am almost 62 and can say that all those years of standing behind a chair has wrecked my knees, do something less physical if you can.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

, I would not personally do hair as my first choice.

Agree. Given all the purple hair and bad hair cuts I have seen in Hungary, cosmetology is not a profession I would recommended. People here seem willing to put up with bad  hair, if it is cheap.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

, I would not personally do hair as my first choice.

Agree. Given all the purple hair and bad hair cuts I have seen in Hungary, cosmetology is not a profession I would recommended. People here seem willing to put up with bad  hair, if it is cheap.

My military father said, "the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is 3 weeks".

Bad haircuts are not just here of course. 

As evidence I cite Donald Trump!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Bad haircuts are not just here of course. 

As evidence I cite Donald Trump!

Trump claims he does his own hair, and his wife cuts it. Can't blame professional Cosmologists for that one.  ;)

There have been a few times that I have thought to myself, "why not just get a good wig and be done with it"?
We can use all the talented people who know what customer service is suppose to be in Hungary.
Maybe those who just expect to be paid for little to no effort could learn by example from those of us who came up the hard way, tips or nothing for good service.
I do think perhaps our original poster could look into working in a hotel or some other customer service job where knowing English will be very useful.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

There have been a few times that I have thought to myself, "why not just get a good wig and be done with it"?

Isn't that close to just wearing a hat?

True, I am forever one of the first people wearing a hat when the weather changes.
Way to sensitive to the cold, not used to it at all.
Hate the hat hair look.

Hi
How are you

Can we chat via WhatsApp 003XXX

your WhatsApp plz

Thank you
Tefal

Moderated by Julien 2 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
tefal19 wrote:

Hi
How are you

Can we chat via WhatsApp 003XXX

your WhatsApp plz

Thank you
Tefal

Maybe something more specific would help!

Like with whom do you want to communicate?