What are the fines like for overloading? Just in case!

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason!  Being as though my trip had been cancelled due to Green card misinformation I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to get the van weighed, more for peace of mind than anything!

You can imagine my surprise when the GVW which should be 3500kg loaded for my LWB 4mtr load bay Sprinter came in at 4183 kg plus my weight! The van looks fine, however, it is just loaded to the gunnels.

I'm now in the position of having  to unload 3/4 of a tonne of furniture and leave it behind for another trip. which makes this 3300-mile trip,  almost a waste of effort and money! Then I have to store that which is unloaded, and do a 250-mile extra round trip to fill up again with lighter stuff from down south in hopes of staying under the GVW!

This raised the question re, subject line!

Bruce

I've mentioned before that Chris Jho can take up to 3.5 tonne for £800 door to door and can store if necessary.  He's really getting fab recommendations.  It might be worth your while considering.  Chris is fully licensed carrier with all legal documentation.  Let me know if you'd like the details
Corinne

Hi Corinne,
I have been in touch with Chris and he told me just what you have, I asked about his availability but nothing was forthcoming from him, However, My ferry is re-booked, following the green card fiasco which was not due to my ignorance as some have suggested but more a need for everything to go smoothly! I sought advice and some feedback supported my own experience and opinion which was I didn't need a green card! Though the insurance company representative initially misinformed me and led me to believe rules had again been changed, (leading to a cancellation of my ferry)which in fact they had not!   However, had it not been for the delay caused, I would have begun my journey blissfully unaware that I was 3/4 of a tonne overweight! Thus the reason for the post!  I was simply curious as to what the outcome might have been if I had indeed made the journey and been stopped by officials and weighed! Some people might do as I did , and just fill the van without considering what it weighed! So I thought to highlight my own crazy experiences might make others think before they make the same mistake and get in trouble! So I'm on my first trip over next Thursday, simply because my position in life makes any further delay impossible! Once the first load is gone I can relax as it is the only stuff I have no place to store in my motorhome and cannot afford the extortionate fees charged by storage facilities! People are very quick to make harsh judgements concerning the lives of others when they haven't got a clue what the other person is going through! I have been through hell and was looking for support as I try to fight my way back to a normal life again, that's all! So I thank you, and bless you!

Hi,

Been away for a bit so not seen any posts.

Glad you sorted out the non green card bit. As for being overweight, I drove here with a transit that was on the bumpstops and bow legged from the weight but it drove well and stopped ok, just looked a bit near the ground. . Apart from six customs officers on BMW's surrounding me on a French motorway and giving me a hard look before zooming off I had no problems.
Good luck.
Ian

Thanks, Ian,
So maybe it's just the U.K that makes a fuss about low riders! I can't risk getting fined as every penny I have is spent at the moment  to get this load safely across to my place! Here in the UK, my mate was fined 2000 for overloading his boat trailer. It's getting to close now so I'll leave a load behind and feel the peace of mind. I'm anxious as hell as I suffer anxiety so just want it over and done with! Cheers

Ah have faith in those healing powers you possess you'll be worrying about something that might or might not happen?? If you look at the situation for too long or overthink it you'll end up wasting energy and time!
Just take what you need, if you've stuff you have not used in years then surely you'd not need it in Bulgaria too?
You'll be OK just have to have more confidence..................

Thank you for the vote of confidence Stepool1970, it is very much appreciated!  This first trip is simply to take basic furnishings, you know. They are things with great sentimental value to me, but maybe little to anyone else, that belonged to my Mum. However, tv cabinet, fridge/freezer, cooker,  the fireplace and settee can go next time. and perhaps something else. Also, I'll hopefully get more MPG with less weight on board, fingers crossed!So I will play it safe.

I've now managed to trace an answer and its heavy..lol  http://startups.co.uk/penalties-for-ove … al-limits/

Once I get there, I've then got to find my house as well, I've only seen it twice, the last time was in the dark in December 2012! My life is not and never will be simple I don't think!  I won't give up...  :-)

You see, if ever the police do a vehicle check on me, it okay until it comes back as belonging to non-other than Bruce Lee! That's when the fun begins :-)