United PetSafe program

Hello:
Has anyone used this program recently to transport pet dog? We are travelling from Newark to San Jose. My understanding is that, if dog is on same plane as we are, then a customs broker is not necessary. Thanks.

I traveled on American airlines, with two dogs. They were in the cargo and there were no issues in traveling from the states to San Jose. Looks like you may be using United airlines, I have not traveled on United with animals. Check their website to see what their policy is. There is always a limit on times of the year that you can travel because of temperatures.

Thanks. I did check with them, the temperature restriction only applies to snub-nosed dog breeds. I have a Labrador, so they will take her any time of the year...The only issue still pending is whether or not I need a broker in Liberia. I am getting mixed answers, even from Costa Rica.

I traveled with my dog in January 2015 on United to San Jose.  He had to go as cargo, but was on the same planes I was.  You do need a broker, even if the dog is on your flight.  You will need to go to the cargo office, with all of the required canine documents and be prepared to pay an additional expense to the broker, to get your dog.  It took about 2 hours to reunite with my pup, and he was in sorry shape.  The kennel was filthy, and it did not appear that, on my long layover in Houston, that he was freed of the kennel and walked.  I paid extra for that service. Either way, he got through it all, and acclimated to his new home just fine.

I did verify with brokers in Costa Rica and United, that a broker is,required in San Jose but not in Liberia. Thanks for that feedback.  Makes me glad we will be on nonstop from Mewark. Thanks for responding.