Moving to the USA with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to the USA with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in the USA?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

In April 1999 my husband and had just returned from an overseas trip to America's west coast with our children, we posed the hypothetical question "what if we could live in America and become American citizens"?
$260000 later and 12 years of invested time, money and energy, we were officially granted citizenship.
It was a hard expensive journey full of surprises and unexpected events.
We have 5 children three are still in Australia and two live here in the United States full time.
Our life here on a tropical Island in the Gulf of Mexico is idealic,tranquil,fun and amazing.
We faced many challenges with the USA government officials,the lack of any one person that knew all the answers to our immigration questions was the most frustrating issue coupled with the "American in ability to problem solve" we were often given false advice, misleading information or told "facts" that were not "fact" but some uninformed government officials personal opinion of events that he had know knowledge of.
This was not helpful, but the Australian hard headed determination got the result in the end we have duel citizenship and are finally working on recouping our financial losses while living on Marco Island in Florida.
America is a culture shock although we speak English there is a 15% language difference that can make communication difficult.The average American that were interact with has no real idea what we are talking about, but are too polite to ask us to clarify our conversation so we talk and they nod and smile oblivious of our words.
We have been labeled as friendly, nice people that are fun to socialize with,but not easy to understand.
My husband Craig has just qualified as a realtor, I have been in Realestate since 2008. I have also become a luxury travel consultant for Virtouso.
Craig and I will work together selling property on our tropical Island and encorage our American friends to see more of our beautiful world in the hope that they become more fluent in English so we can have better communications  and they may just understand our "Words"