Work, apartments and the cost of living

Hello everyone,
Am Vanessa from Malawi, am planning on moving to US, Dallas, Texas to be precise. the whole relocating thing is a bit too much considering i do not know anyone that side but am determined to achieve all my plans. Am currently doing the visa process and would like to get all the information that is essential to this whole process to give me a boost. i would like to know about work, apartments and the cost of living in Dallas. please anyone with the information feel free to share. i seriously need your help.

Hi Vanessa,

Welcome on board  :)

A new thread has been created from your post on the Dallas Forum so that you may get some infos

Maybe you could tell us why you chose Dallas ?

All the very best
Bhavna

Here are a couple of links with quite a lot of information about Dallas:
City-Data - Dallas, Texas
Wikipedia - Dallas
What visa will you have? Because depending on the visa, you will have more opportunities for work, etc...
For renting an apartment, it's always better for visit in person. There are plenty of apartment complexes where you can walk in the office and ask for a listing. Make sure you choose a descent neighborhood first.
You can rent a hotel room close by to visit places to rent or you can use airbnb, which will be cheaper than the hotel. there's also craigslist, but be careful about scams. Never send money ahead or for places you didn't visit first.

Thank you Bhavna,
Thinking of relocating is the hardest decision anyone can think especially when you doing it from my country, there is a lot at stake,  i need to consider work and living costs, but i want a city that i would get a job easily and where the living costs are affordable. still, am doing my research on a lot of places but Dallas just got my eye. 

Thank you for the links and the advice @English2Francais

Am currently working on a visiting visa and would like to use it and get a job that side.

If you want to move to Dallas, consider renting in the suburbs like Plano (the lowest crime rate is in West Plano or far West Plano), North Arlington, Allen or McKinney (newer parts of town). Many areas have a high crime rate. Far North Dallas is a decent area too. My opinion. Lived here for 30 years.

The DFW area is very extended so it is important to know where you will be working, etc. Apartments rent from $700 and houses from 1000, depending on the area.  Do you have a job before coming?

Viviana

It's very difficult to find a good apartment for $700.00 in the Dallas area in a safe area of town or in a good suburb. Expect to pay at least $1100 for a decent, but very small, one bedroom. Houses are easy to find, but not for $1,000, unless it is in a run-down or high crime neighborhood. Rentals start at about $1,695.00 and can go up for nicer homes. I just helped a couple relocate. If you google "rental homes in ..." you will get to the Zillow website and others with excellent info and pictures.

Hi Vanessa,
It is good if you satisfied with what people suggests you or else, you should take advice from any real estate agents. He may suggest you some beautiful and affordable places. I hope it will help you in finding your choice like apartments.

@QUEENVEE23 hie queen hopefully youre the one i can literally get helped from according to your experience... im not so sure if youll see or consider my request since its a way back post hopefully youve pass ths obstacles,, im having the same idea of relocating to usa since last year but im lack of information would u plesase help me out on how did u pass your journey of seeking new challenges i hop u hear me out and do mr a favor thanks you

Hello vyalemajr,

Welcome on board !

Please note that it's been 6 years since the poster QUEENVEE23 didn't log in...

You should probably create your own thread.

Regards

Bhavna

Hello Bhavna

Hello Eric,

How are you doing ?

How can we help ?

Regards

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna

I am fine

nothing Where are you from?

From Mauritius, Eric .

I am a staff member of Expat.com, here on the forum to guide you.

So, how can I help you ?

Are you looking for any info in particular ?