Opportunity to work in Dallas

Hello everyone, I am a new member here.

We are a young couple without children living in Paris.
My wife has an opportunity to work in Dallas statring march 2014 there so we will both go there.
She does research on cancer. I am a sales/consultant in IT.
I am kind of exited by the adventure but I dont know exactly what we will find there...

I would like to know if it is easy to find jobs in the area?
What about accomodation? any special/cool places to live in?
What do people do in their free time? are there really a lots a gun shows and rodeos...? Is it a only a legend?
Will we have to drive pick up truck ( personnaly I would love it but my wife prefers to have a WW Golf with a stick...)
Oh yes... How is the food?

I have loads of questions so if anyone wants to provide answers I will be delighted!

thank you in advance for your insights

JB

Hi JB,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to download and read The US Expat guide please

I suggest you post an advert in the  section Properties for rent in Dallas and please check out the article on Accommodation in the USA :)

You should post your resume in the IT & Telecommunications jobs in Dallas please :)

Best of luck with everything !

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat.com Team

The economy in Texas is doing well compared to the rest of the country. It shouldn't be too hard to find a job with your background. Craigslist, Monster, and CareerBuilder are some good options to look at for finding jobs.

Hello and thanks for you replies.

Ill browse on the different section of the forum.
hope to chat some more with you.

JB

Job may be easy, however you may need a work Visa in order to work, which Visa you have ?

JBW wrote:

Hello everyone, I am a new member here.

We are a young couple without children living in Paris.
My wife has an opportunity to work in Dallas statring march 2014 there so we will both go there.
She does research on cancer. I am a sales/consultant in IT.
I am kind of exited by the adventure but I dont know exactly what we will find there...

I would like to know if it is easy to find jobs in the area?
What about accomodation? any special/cool places to live in?
What do people do in their free time? are there really a lots a gun shows and rodeos...? Is it a only a legend?
Will we have to drive pick up truck ( personnaly I would love it but my wife prefers to have a WW Golf with a stick...)
Oh yes... How is the food?

I have loads of questions so if anyone wants to provide answers I will be delighted!

thank you in advance for your insights

JB

My wife is coming on a J1 so It seem i ll automatically obtain a J2.
In your experience is that a good visa or is it limited?

Yeah, it's a good one, you can work on J2. Just you need to search for a job and apply for an EAD document.

JBW wrote:

My wife is coming on a J1 so It seem i ll automatically obtain a J2.
In your experience is that a good visa or is it limited?

all right!
I dont know what that is but I ll look into it.
Thank you for your answers.

Enjoy Dallas :-)

I was in Dallas / Phoenix / Vegas till Sunday :-)

JBW wrote:

all right!
I dont know what that is but I ll look into it.
Thank you for your answers.

Hello JBW,

I live just south of Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) a few years ago and as I read  some of your questions I had a little laugh.

Pick up trucks are not a requirement in Texas, but they are just about everywhere. Maybe not so much in Dallas but the closer you get to Ft Worth the larger the truck population.

The food in DFW is typical american and a lot of tex-mex (a mix of mexican and texan food), a lot of beef, but since it is a cosmopolitan area you can find a wide variety of foods available. Unfortunately, in many texas restaurants the word vegetable is not a prominent part of the menu.

With regards to entertainment thee are so many things to do that you can keep your weekends filled with different things to see and experience. If you want a good rodeo experience head over to Fort Worth, it has a lot of great history of the old west and "The Stockyards" is a must see. The area between Dallas and Ft Worth is called the HEB. It is a series of communities that has grown together into a continuous Metroplex and if you can't find something to do it is because you haven't looked.

As far as employment the DFW area is pretty robust, but a lot depends on your IT experience. I can't give too much insight on the IT world there, but can talk volumes on the energy side...

JBW, I hope I have helped a little bit with my insights and if you have any questions I am just a few keystrokes away.

I wish you and your family well and good luck and great success of you make it to the USA.

B/R

Mark

Hi JWB,

I am now in the same situation as you now, as you were a few month ago
we are considering moving to Dallas for a job offer that my husband have. I work in the IT sector as marketing and business dev and I work for an american company here.
I have been travelling a lot in the USA but never went in Dallas, neither any place in Texas.
We have two young kids and are considering placing them in the DIS school.

I am more worried about life style, things to do and environment. we are big outdoors fans and are worried that Dallas is a big city and would not offer proximity with nature as we have here.
What about the weather, people say it is very hot. Here it tends to be hot in august but we get 4 seasons and a very cold winter which can be a pain some time.

Have you been renting or being a house ?

Thansk for your feedback, that would really help