Advice on Trip in May to Quito, Cuenca and Galapagos Islands

Hello,
Since Spring Break at the college is from May 10-May 22, I am considering an excursion to Ecuador. I'd like to explore Quito, Cuenca and Galapagos Islands at that time, if feasible. I intend to read up more in the guide book for this planned excursion. I read a while back on this forum about the recommended hotel to stay in Quito (since most flights tend to arrive quite late), staying there a few days and then heading to Cuenca.  How many days would you recommend in each of these areas? I am interested in art, music, history, museums, architecture, ethnic cuisine, arts & crafts, culture of indigenous groups, wildlife, and nature but not the beach scene (as a senior, age 66). I enjoy walking outdoors  and although physically fit,  am not a mountain trekker. I'm also hoping to improve my Spanish language proficiency and to get a feel for the country and culture.

What's your opinion on guided tours? I know in general they can be pricey and not always what one anticipated. However, I'm unfamiliar with the country and want to enjoy the maximum benefits of this cross-culturally enlightening vacation with inherent time constraints.

I will appreciate any insights and tips you may have. Thank you and Happy New Year to all.

Regards,
PS in Richmond, VA

peripatetic_soul wrote:

Spring Break at the college is from May 10-May 22, I am considering an excursion to Ecuador. I'd like to explore Quito, Cuenca and Galapagos Islands at that time, if feasible....

What's your opinion on guided tours? I know in general they can be pricey and not always what one anticipated. However, I'm unfamiliar with the country and want to enjoy the maximum benefits....

Dear Judith,

I think that for this trip, you would be smart to take a tour if a recommended one is available for your dates.  That's due to your time limitations and the language barrier.

Even so, trying to squeeze in all three locations is going to be challenging.  Given that you'll lose most of a day to travel each time you switch locations, you're down to an average of about 3.3 days per location if you decide to visit all three.

If you're still interested in Ecuador for every-year part-time living, it might make sense to visit Quito and Cuenca this time to help decide on which you prefer.  You could visit the Galápagos on a future trip and thus have almost a week in each of the two highlands cities this time to familiarize.

cccmedia in Quito