I want to hire a Cook in Las Terrenas

Hi Folks,

We have a house rented for a month in Las Terrenas, Feb 8th, to March 8th, inclusive. I've been wanting to give my hard working wife a treat and hire a cook to come in for the month and make our dinners for us in the afternoon, and to do our grocery shopping. Can someone provide some feedback in this area? Recommendations? Prices etc.? Pls and thanks.

What  type of food?  Local foods no problem, but if you desire Brazilian tapas & BBQ, you might be out of luck.

A local Dominican cook would be great. Preferably someone that speaks English & if they cook a bit of American food, that would be great.

what do you condider american food?     Prime Rib, meatloaf, fried chicken, burgers, baked beans? What area of the US? New England chowder, tex-mex burritos, crawfsh & dirty rice,roast chicken & mashed potatos cod fish cakes,  So mny types of American cooking. Or do you mean fast food stuff & pizza.  I'm not busting chops, just trying to ascertain your idea of "American food".   On purpose I left out the popular ethnic foods such as asian etc.  It all deoends I guess on where you are from.  You will find who you are looking for, be patient & Always with a sense of humor. By the way, I'm a fairly well known retired chef & curmudgeon.   Try new things, if you don't like them you don't have to do them again.  Take your clothes off & dance naked in the rain. I doesn't matter your age, it is really something to experience.  Do it once & I bet you will do it again!   Welcome to the complexities of life on the island. You won't get bored if you keep an open mind.  This has been just a few words from the Tuba.    (read past threads & you'll know.)

LOL, I love your post! I referred to it as American food. But we're Canadian. Yes, we're used to the traditional fare, potatoes, veggies, pork chops, steak, and the list goes on . "However", we love all kinds of ethnic food, Thai, Mexican etc. We're not in a position to pay for a high profile chef. Just someone who knows how to cook a variety of food, that can come in once a day for a couple of hours that can cook and clean up, that's it.

Tappers, you dacing foot free showman, I'm not looking for employment. I only mentioned it because of my love of food & surprising people with dishes they never have had before.  I'm not like a lot of cooks, not overweight in the slightest, BMI of 24.  I'm also not politically correct at all.  Now on to tomorrow, the tomorrow that never arrives. Enjoy the ride, there is no return ticket!

The unit manager or owner (of the place you are renting) may have some folks for you to talk to.  Try contacting them.

Bob K

New topic....... The Elephant in the room.  It seems that the local powers that be, have come up with a new promotion.  Create a "Red Light District" at the Eastern end of Pedro Clisante. A mini Amsterdam so to speak.  Wonder who owns the land, what residents of Playa Chaqita & Ahnvee think about it? Who will take over all those newly renovated buildings?  How will the bar & club owners be compensated?  Oh my, so many questions to be asked & answered.  Outside of the great beaches, what does Sosua have to offer families with kids, ( who aren't allowed in those places to start with)  in or close by its' environs? They have been trying for years to get rid of the beach shops. What, build a great big hotel?  Trying to transform Sosua into a Punta Cana is as futile as being the cruise director on the Titanic,     with the same ending.  What do you all think of the proposed "Red light District"? Follow the $$MONEY$$.  This is NOT a political post, it is an economic post, the collapse of local businesses, and I don't mean the broads, sorryeee, ladies of the evening. No, i mean suppliers, employees, tradesmen, all the associated littl companies & staff will suffer.   It will have the same results that the paving job has. Same potholes plus higher flooding. Our progress can me measured by how far we have regressed.  A big fart from the Tuba.

Well as I am coming for the first time next week maybe I should not chime in here but I will. I have lived in different places that have had a similar problem and tried to corral the girls into specific areas. It has never worked and even creating a specific area for it just increased business so the girls might like it. If they do not want to make it illegal and police it and charge people it will never work. I do agree that properly run brothels with medical requirements would help to get them off the street if they police it and if they are out of sight out of mind for families.

I am sure no one is trying to create another punta cana.

Not sure all that is going on, why, who is  driving it etc.  It will be interesting to watch this roll out.

@tappers

hello 

wondering if you have anyone to recommend ?

This is a very old thread, you may be better off starting a new one

Never mind, you already did!