General questions about Las Terrenas area

My wife and I both live in the States. She is originally from St. Vincent. I have traveled all over Europe and the Caribbean. We have a four year old daughter. We have been scouring the internet for places to live on a budget, have an expat community, safe for kids, and have decent schools. From what I've read so far Las Terrenas sounds ideal to me. We are visiting with our daughter this September.
The forums on this site have been so helpful and full of good information.
Can you please tell me if the three of us could live comfortably on about $3,000/mo there?
Or, would we need to go a little further out. Schools, healthcare, safety...any information you can offer is appreciated. And I apologize if this is the type of question you get all the time.

Thank you,

Scott

Welcome to the forums Scott. Glad you are finding the forums helpful.

Yes, I think what you have is sufficient for a reasonably comfortable life in Las Terrenas. 

Your visit will give you a lot of the I go you need!

Thank you Planner

Hi Scott,
I live in Los Angeles, so not really an expat. I went on an exploration trip to Sosua in April. I also have a 4 yearold son and my wife was on the fence with the whole idea of moving.

We didn't visit Las Terrenas, so can't tell you much about there. But Sosua was really good. We visited 2 international schools in the area, and they were really good at giving us a tour of the school. The area was safe and clean especially compared to a big city in the US.

If you don't have a mortgage, the cost of living in Sosua is:
$500 - $700 for school 12 months a year
food is the same as the US, if you adjust a little in diet to more local grown foods its 30% cheaper than us.
Family health insurance is < $300 a month if you want to keep some coverage in the US, < $90 if you want to only have DR coverage
Car insurance is about same as US
Utilities are about %30 more than US, you have to use less in the DR.
Budget 2 annual trips to the US or Europe or someplace nearby

All in all with those number you are about the $3000 a month budget. BUT. You should find a way to keep paying US federal taxes, so that you can collect Social Security in 20-30 years. So in reality you should bring in $3500 a month. More over, you should have some savings. In the US we are use to going paycheck to paycheck. The same safty nets don't exist in DR.

In conclusion you should have $4k a month of gross income to make the move. I am working on that number before I move. I hope soon.

I will say that a trip to  Sosua isnt enough to base your assumptions on.  Some may be good info and some may be badly incorrect.

In general Las Torranas (sp)  is a bit more expensive than the Sosua/Cabarete area.  As you live here you will find a ew cost cutting ways on your own Many times it doesn't lessen the quality of life,but actually enhances it.  Local fruits are an example. A truck the other day was selling 4 (four) pineapples for 100 pesos, 50 cents each.  Mangos are now in season, cheap. Buying during harvest time really saves money.  The buying of importe food item is expensive. Otherwise, food runs at least 20% less overall.  Spend more time here & meet lots of different folks including local for sure. It can be a great life with the proper planning & knowledge.  Welcome.

Thank you for the in-depth reply.

I would appreciate your input, especially if you could correct any of the items I listed.
I don't think 20% cheaper food is a deal maker in the big picture, since its really just $50 - $100 overall cost of living.

Hi Scott

yes living on US$3,000 very well is easy we have lived here for 11.5 years and have a great life style, big house 3 cars, eat out drink nice clothes, health insurance etc and we spend around US$3000 a month.
Yes of course you can live for US$1000 a month but guessing from what you have said this is not your life style.

i hope you find it usefull

best wishes 

Douglas and Helen

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Please refrain from self promotion like this. We appreciate information but you need to place an ad in the classifieds.  Thanks.

Thank you Douglas and Helen,

Very encouraging information!

I know we can't buy a car right away - so what does everyone do until you can? I guess get the number of a reliable taxi?  It just seems so inconvenient. Is there a place to lease a car reasonably for a month at a time?

You can find a taxi or two you are comfortable with and negotiate.  You can buy a car and hire a driver if you know in future you will get your Dominican license.

Depending where you are Uber is a great deal!   

Leasing or renting a car a month at a time is not reasonable here. IF it is reasonable it usually means it is not a "legal" rental and you may be stuck with charges if something happens. On that note, never ever give anyone your passport.  Some less than legal rentals will do that and then try to tag you with lots of additional charges and damages while they hold your passport!  They should be  good with a copy of your passport!

This maybe a little off subject but, what is the process for obtaining a driver license (besides that I have to have temp residency first)?
Is it a 1 day thing? Is it a written test and a road test? Can I take test in Punta Cana or does it have to be done in SD? Thanks

Yes first you need your residencia and cedula. Then you can go with your license from home in hand and ask for your license here.  I do know you can do it in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata etc, its not all done here in Santo Domingo.

I  have been told various stories -  some needed to get their learners permit and you can transform that into a license within the 45 days. Others got a license same day.

The processes have been changing, so, I am not positive on what needs to happen after you have your cedula in hand.