Not quite expat, yet.

Hi guys/girls, My name is Eben. Friends of mine have decided to go work in China, tempting me to go as well. I am a deputy principal at a large South African school and might retire soon. I am, however, not even remotely going to stop working. China seems to be a great place to spend a year or two. Would you like to give me good reasons why I should come or shouldn't come. I already have a firm offer of RMB 15 000. Thanx for your replies!

Well, your location will likely make a big difference in the experience you have.  Cities on the east coast are much more foreign-influenced and easily accessible for those who don't know any of the language.  The climate also varies a lot.  Southern climate can be almost as hot and Southeast Asian countries, meanwhile the north can have some harsh winters. 

15000 toward the higher starting salaries most foreigners get in the country and should entail you to live quite comfortably.  Again, this will depend on your living style.  Apartments in cities like Shanghai and Beijing are considerably more expensive than cities more inland and less foreign-influenced.

Thanx for the reply. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Hangzhou is my city of preference, I am well qualified and experienced, hence the proposed salary. It includes food and lodgings. I hear living costs are quite low (RMB 2500 a month), clothes/food, transport, etc are cheap. My real question: will one adapt, how will one adapt, what is there to do/places to see, are there any dangers/pitfalls, etc? I am 70% motivated to come and need a 30% push to finalise my decision. Again, thank you for your response.