Cost of living in Ecuador

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Ecuador.

Don't forget to mention where in Ecuador you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Ecuador?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

prices in ecuador?

the big 15 prices for staple for me are:
1) 24 case local premium beer (US $15)
2) 10 kilo rice (8)
3) kilo of chicken (2)
4) kilo of fresh oily fish (tuna/salmon)(8)
5) liter of fresh fruit juice (2)
6) large loaf(s) kilo of quality multi grain bread (4)
7) 5 liter of vegetable cooking oil (5)
8) kilo of local dairy farmers cheese (8)
9) kilo of roasted import quality coffee beans/ground (6)
10) case of diet soda (any) or club soda (7)
11) kilo of in season, plentiful local sweet fruit/ green vegetables (average)(3)
12) liter of quality local distilled rum or other liquor (5)
13) dozen eggs (2)
14) kilo of shelled peanuts or salted roasted nuts (4)
15) 5 liters of distilled or purified spring water (3)

now the price for that in the US would be for smart shooper as good as your ecuador domestic market shopper = $82!! and will last me a couple weeks at least with beer and eat out once a in a while.

how about ecuador..say in a sierra city like cuenca?

thanks

jim

appreciate it shoman! i'll be interested for sure because if i could eat that diet for say $150-175/mo plus eat/drink out 2-3/week for say 20 bucks a outing that would be 160-240/mo and that plus 175/mo makes only about 400/mo to live on good stir fry meat veggies nuts fruits over rice with a cold brew! (and eating out to boot)! paradise!

thanks for your correspondence.

ps. i need a good affordable ecuador dentist if i am to visit this fall and that takes american express for payment or travelers checks. please help!

10) 6 pack of 355 ml pepsis - $1.46 IS A GOOD DEAL.

no peanuts or salted mixed nuts?..hmmmm.

must be imported planter's dry roasted somewhere?

thanks on the dentist. the prices are reasonable and i like market fresh fish and would wash my own produce if cheaper..even buy more bulk.

jim

If you are interested in taking a "dental vacation" contact Posada del Arte in Baños.  They have a beautiful B & B and a very good dentist who doesn't charge very much, with solid recommendations based on personal experience by the owners.

thanks jody,

can you forward this to the B&B? do they speak any english?

my spanish is so so. pero quiero tratar!

the dental connection and estimates of cost is the key for my trip.

jim

I'll be in Quito in August 2009, let me know if i can help! [email protected]

Dental TOurism in Cuenca" The Best" Clinic FUTURA
Hi there IŽm an expat living here 2 years now and have been to plenty dentist far and beyond this Dentist is a true professional and truly guaranteeŽs their work. Their name is CLinica Futura minutes from Downtown cuenca and their email is [email protected]

Hi, IŽm interested in moving to Ecuador and have the same questions you posted.  Did you ever receive any answers? Firefly.

hello i would like to thank you in advance for taking the time in reading my post i would to start a I.T firm over there in ecuador that deal with software programming , web design, graphic design also networking structure for small and large companies if any person has any tips or advice please fell free to reply , sorry my name is al porter and have a great day

Hello Al porter!

Can you please start a new topic on Ecuador forum.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=519

Thanks

sorry forgot to put my e-mail [email protected]

Hello everyone!
What area would cater to someone looking to spend the very minimum on accomodations?  I want to relocate but I dont want to spend all of my budget on my rental and so therefore I am open to any locations within Ecuador that offer more affordable accomodations! 
I would prefer to live like the locals and just try to enjoy the culture and hopefully become fluent in Spanish!  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I understand that there are challenges that come with living in an areas such as what you described and I appreciate the response.  It's good to have an idea of what each price point gets you while sitting at home and considering moving to another country.  Where would you suggest living when I first arrive and looking for a long/short term rental?
I have not decided on what to do about the visa issues as yet but perhaps I will go and explore a new location. 
Does anyone know which location would be cheaper to live in Cuenca or Quito? The location is not that big deal for me at this point just the relative cost of living...accomodations/food!

A while back on the blog Our Ecuador there was a cost of living in Cuenca.  The site is http://ourecuador.blogspot.com/.  You would have to look for it in the archives.  I think that the total was $2,700.00 per month for a couple and a small child.  It included private school and transportation to the school.  I remember that he said he paid $700 rent for the apt.  It all depends on what you want and what is in the budget.

I lived in Ecuador, comfortably for about $700 a month when I was there two years ago.  This included transportation, my apartment, food, gym memberships and all the basics.  You can live cheaper if you want or you can splurge on a nice apartment, car etc. and spend significantly more.  It's really up to you and how you allocate your funds.
Carrie
www.flavorsofecuador.com

My wife and I enjoy ballroom and Latin Dancing. Does anyone know of Dance Clubs or Dances that are held in Cuenca?

Hi rjaerobic,

could you please start a new discussion ?

Thanks ;)

Hello,
I live in Phoenix.  In the not too distant future, I will retire and now, I am looking at places that interest me.  Can someone tell me the crime rate in Ecuador?  The State Department says the crime rate is high.  Is this the truth?  I think I would be interested in living by the beach.  Can anyone recommend a city by the beach and what a secure apartment would cost?

Taken from ecuadorgeorge.com

With a budget of $950 per month you can move uptown… sort of.

$300 per month for a newer 2 bedroom apartment or condo
$300 per month for food
$  50 utilities (tap water, electric, and gas)
$  35 internet service
$  35 health care (a couple doctor visits a year)
$  30 cell phone service for 2 phones
$  25 bus fare and taxi fare
$  50 cable/sat TV
$100 entertainment (dining out, coffee, ice cream)
$  25 miscellaneous
Wow, $950 a month for 2 people is not to bad… this is amazing that two people can live somewhere for less than a thousand dollars. Good luck in Ecuador.

I live in Quito.  Cost of living prices are the total between my wife and me.  We are 26 and 28 years old. 
We spent $650 last month.  $75 of this was on traveling. Our monthly expenses vary depending on how much traveling we do. 

$380 for 2 bedroom apartment 60-70 square meters
$12 on bus/trolley/taxi fair ($.25 per ride, $1.00 minimum for taxi)
$80 on  food at the market and 20L water jugs($2.50 each)
$30 on desayunos, almurezos, and street food($1.50 to $2.50 each)
$5 on random snacks like ice cream and Coca-cola.
$2.75 on medicine (no health insurance)
Electricity and water is included in our apartment.  Gas tanks are $2.50 and we have not changed the tank after 4 months of daily use.  We have an electric hot water tank.   
$5.50 on cell phone and calls home. ($50 for the cell phone which we bough a few months ago)  Calls to the states are as low as $.06 a minute. We don't have a computer, so no internet  bills.  Rabbit ears for TV = free. DVDs are $1.50 per disk.
Menu at a traditional restaurant?  The majority of people who eat at restaurants eat where the meals are $1.75 to $2.50 each.  Restaurants meant for tourists and rich people start around $6 a person and go up as much as one likes.
$1.50 for a 650ml (22oz) beer at a regular bar.  $3.50 for the same beer in tourist bars.  $.85 to a dollar at the tiendas not including $.20 bottle deposit. 
$.40 - 1.00 for a cup of coffee. 
$3.00 for a men's haircut
We don't have a car, but gasoline prices are $1.50 for regular, $2.00 for super, and $1.03 for diesel per gallon.

As mentioned above we spent $75 including food in traveling expenses last month.  We only went to Otavalo and I did a guided mountain climb this past month.  We usually travel more than this.  Weekends not traveling are spent exploring Quito. 
Buses around the country are about a dollar an hour per person. (3 hours by bus = 3 dollars)
$15 dollars a night for a shared bed in a hostel.
We almost always eat in local markets while traveling.  Meals are only $1.00-$2.00 and have always been delicious. (I have yet to get sick from eating local food or drink, and I try everything offered to me, including what I am given while doing research in very rural communities.)
$25-30 for guided, simple mountain climbs.  $5.00 for basic climbing gear rental. Glaciated mountain climbs are usually $200 including gear rental. Obviously we travel on the cheap, and prices can go up as much as one wants to spend.

There seems to be a big variance in the cost of living here in Ecuador.  My situation is completly different from those who retire down here as I am currently working in Ecuador for a Canadian company.  I live in Cumbaya which is just east of Quito.
The rent on my appartment, 2 bdrm, 2bthrm, about 120msqr, is about $1400/month furnished.  I pay $125/month for Internet,  cable and phone (and this is through work) and $8.00/month for electricity.  There is also a monthly maintenance fee as the building I live in is considered a seniors suites and there is 24hr medical and security on site.  Not sure what this is.  All of this is paid by my company.
I find shopping at the SuperMaxi no different from the prices I paid back in Canada.  Then again I am buying the things I would buy back home.  I have had major medical issues with buying "local" and I have been advised by locals to not eat at street vendors.  When I go out I only go to established and recommended restaurants and the bill is the same as it would be back home, $20 to $40 each depending on how much wine you order. All personal expences are my responsiblity and my out of pocket expences are about $400 to $750 a month.  I golf at least twice a month, ($40/round or $60 with a caddy), enjoy 4 to 6 bottles of wine per month, a bottle of local rum and associated mixes.  I go out at least once a month and this costs about $75.00.  All in all, food on its own is about $250/month.
I am sure that there are people who spend considerably less but I have not given up anything that I had back home nor have I cut back on what I am used to having.  If you want to live like you did back in North America then you will pay for the privilage.  If you want to live outside of the metropolitan areas then you will find things less expensive, for now.  Cuenca is a perfect example of prices going up as more expats move there.  Basic rule of economics is that the local economy will bare what ever people are prepared to pay.

That's quiet a BUDGET you have there, Mehrlyn... you can live in US or Canada (I'm sure) for a budget like this. But, you mentioned it is all through work, so it is not your money mostly...
Anyhow, I'm going to comment just to unscare people. To rent a 2br apartment for $1400 you have to actually look for it with "gringo with lots of money" face. My 100 sq. mtrs. 2 bdr. apartment right on Carolina park would not rent for more than $600-700. $8 per month for electricity is kinda low, meaning that it is either shared or the owner of your apartment has a senior citizen discount (still looks low...) My electric bill is around $30. I have a blazing internet speed from Claro for $49 + tax, gives me a landline like quality for VOIP phone calls. I don't know about Canada, but the prices in Supermaxi for groceries are at least half of the current prices in Publix in South Florida.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]