Things I have learned while planning my move to Ecuador

It's been awhile since I have been on here because I have been pulling my hair out!!!!

I seemed to have found the only house in EC that is taking forever to close. Biggest problem to start is the fact that the owner of the house died 2 weeks before I made the offer.

The house was left to 4 children, 3 of which do not even live in EC. The other part of the problem is that the EC government like any other government is full of incompetent boobs.

The father's death certificate had the mother listed as still living.... she has been dead for 4 years. So the one son attempted to get this fixed and it is still being fixed.

Problem #2 - I can't start my residency visa until I have proof of the property.

Problem #3 - Although it says you can become a resident with an investment of $25k in property be AWARE!!!!! Just because you, the gringo are paying above and beyond that does not mean it is valued at $25k.....

They don't care what you pay for something they care what it is worth.

Problem #4 - I can't open a bank account in EC that easily while I am still here so I have to get a Power of Attorney document drafted up there so that I can now have $25K stuck in a bank. Not what I wanted to do.

Problem #6 - Shipping container is now delayed leaving here until the 30th of this month.

So now I will be stuck paying a deposit to customs because I have no residency visa. The delay also means we will be twiddling our thumbs waiting for it to arrive so we can start the renos on the house.

The biggest problem of all????? Nobody seems to have a sense of urgency there!!!!!

I am paying a lot of money to lawyers that are taking their sweet time to reply to a simple email.

I will try and update on the latest developments as I go.....

You are starting the concept of "manana"……..it will grow on you after this crisis passes and you adjust to life in Ecuador

I totally understand manana. I don't understand a house closing taking over 2 months...

That's part of manana  and life in the third world. The house should never been put on the market without these issues having been settled in the first place. You may never get the house or it might take months if they truly want to sell it. What we call in the US a clear title and part of what the closing costs in the US are for title search

My advice is go back down and if possible put a fire under the attorney or rent a place and try to get the investment visa by putting $25K in the bank.

Don't know if you read the news but there are huge anti government demonstrations in Quito and all over the country. It has been a groundswell and now includes indigenous people, unions and now doctors and other professionals. They have called a general strike for today in Quito.Thursday the 13th . There are strong travel advisory warnings and for US residents in EC. from the US State Dept.You might want to see what the Canadian gov't has to say

Probably not the best time to start your EC immigration plan until things sort themselves out

Hi, Sue,
Can you elaborate? We're not all on the ground. Thx much.I feel sorry for the OP because I read posts that indicated shipping cargo overseas could cost you thousands for encountering glitches such as this one. It's not just in Ecuador, either, as you well know. Travel light. I hope all works out.

Regards,
PS50

Hi,
I share your ennui but I've read about this in many countries, not just EC. I'm so sorry to hear this. When I shipped a few items from UAE to the US, the designated date of entry was never met (as promised) and most items arrived damaged but the liability insurance was useless because all parties involved all claimed no one could indicate exactly WHERE the damage occurred. The cargo co. in UAE also never told me about all the costs involved with customs and warehousing in the U.S. at different ports of entry. What a waste!
It's best to travel light. I hope you can recoup.  As we learn, one can't apply what one is  accustomed to in one's culture to another. Keep us posted and pray all fares well for you.
Regards,
PS

If you haven't already put any $ down on this house I would seriously consider walking away from the deal. Sue is right, these sort of issues need to be resolved before a seller tries to sell a house. I do know of a gringa in Mompichi that had a house valued under 25K that the local municipality happily reappraised at 25K so she could get her visa and they could collect a bit more in tax.

During my bumbling gringo learning curve period I lost 10k on a property when the deal fell apart. 3 years later I recovered 7 of the 10k. It was a small price to pay to get out of a bad complicated deal. Think of these hard times like your apprenticeship in expat living. You're paying your dues.

LaureeJ wrote:

It's been awhile since I have been on here because I have been pulling my hair out!!!! I seemed to have found the only house in EC that is taking forever to close. Biggest problem to start is the fact that the owner of the house died 2 weeks before I made the offer. The house was left to 4 children, 3 of which do not even live in EC. The other part of the problem is that the EC government like any other government is full of incompetent boobs. The father's death certificate had the mother listed as still living.... she has been dead for 4 years. So the one son attempted to get this fixed and it is still being fixed. Problem #2 - I can't start my residency visa until I have proof of the property. Problem #3 - Although it says you can become a resident with an investment of $25k in property be AWARE!!!!! Just because you, the gringo are paying above and beyond that does not mean it is valued at $25k..... They don't care what you pay for something they care what it is worth. Problem #4 - I can't open a bank account in EC that easily while I am still here so I have to get a Power of Attorney document drafted up there so that I can now have $25K stuck in a bank. Not what I wanted to do. Problem #6 - Shipping container is now delayed leaving here until the 30th of this month. So now I will be stuck paying a deposit to customs because I have no residency visa. The delay also means we will be twiddling our thumbs waiting for it to arrive so we can start the renos on the house.

The biggest problem of all????? Nobody seems to have a sense of urgency there!!!!! I am paying a lot of money to lawyers that are taking their sweet time to reply to a simple email.

I will try and update on the latest developments as I go.....

First, Lauree, you're doing a lot of people a good service by describing your experience with the San Clemente house. :top:  I'd guess that over 90 percent of the folks who have tried anything close to your bold moves in recent years would rather keep the problems they encountered to themselves rather than share on a public forum where others can learn... but might also have some unpleasant truths to share about the situation.

A longtime Salinas-area Expat and blogger reported on the Internet this week that she knows of a development where one property has changed hands five times in the past eight years.  In that time, she said, not a single unit in that development has been occupied.

cccmedia in Quito

LaureeJ wrote:

I have been pulling my hair out!!!! I seemed to have found the only house in EC that is taking forever to close....

The biggest problem of all????? Nobody seems to have a sense of urgency there!!!!!

Hardly the only house in EC taking more than a few months to close.  My Quito condo took almost two years to close, and that was on a brand-new development with no title issues involving previous owners.  There were some issues, including a change in ownership of the complex.  But mostly it seemed like foot-dragging by my then-attorney and other parties.

I have since found a faster-acting attorney based in Quito who works part-time in the Guayaquil/coastal area and who responds promptly to emails.  In fact, he's in Guayaquil now until the 18th:  Sebastian Cordero, scordero(at)gcabogados.com ...

Were you actually working with an attorney when you decided to buy the San Clemente fixer?  I would think that any competent attorney would have discovered some of the title problems and discouraged you from proceeding with an unclean deal.

cccmedia in Quito

LaureeJ wrote:

I can't start my residency visa until I have proof of the property.... I can't open a bank account in EC that easily while I am still here so I have to get a Power of Attorney document drafted up there so that I can now have $25K stuck in a bank.

Future Expat arrivals should consider the following strategy if you want to get a residency visa while violating the "rule" against buying property in your first year in Ecuador...

Go for the 25K-in-a-bank-CD first as to satisfy the investment requirement.  Then, as Lauree implied, you can immediately get your visa paperwork going.  Later, perhaps much later, when the house is in your name, you can transfer out of the CD-based residency visa into a real-estate-based visa, and have the right to pull your cash out of the CD investment.

cccmedia in Quito

jessekimmerling wrote:

If you haven't already put any $ down on this house I would seriously consider walking away from the deal....

During my bumbling gringo learning curve period I lost 10k on a property when the deal fell apart. 3 years later I recovered 7 of the 10k. It was a small price to pay to get out of a bad complicated deal. Think of these hard times like your apprenticeship in expat living. You're paying your dues.

While considering whether to take Jesse's advice, keep in mind that you may feel like you've been in a learning curve for a long time, but you may only just be beginning.

Since you're already tearing out your hair, will you really ever be at peace during the "fixer" stage?  That will involve more bureaucracy, the inconvenience of supervising the re-construction, the challenge of finding reliable maestro and/or workers and coastal-appropriate construction supplies...plus other unpredictable, potentially-vexing issues in a foreign, Spanish-language country with questionable infrastructure in the area.

cccmedia in Quito

You know, when I shipped a container to ecuador, the shipping company would not even talk to me about transporting until I could prove I had a cedula also known as an Ecuadorian ID card. I believe you need to consult your shipping company on that matter. My house took almost a year to close and we had extra expenses to return to the US which involved paying airline tickets and paying rent because we ran out of time on our extension of our travel visa I realize that this was my fault but by not knowing all this it cost me another ten grand. I got an attorney who turned out to not be an attorney but was using another attorney to sign papers for him, which is a normal way of life here. When I finally got it all sorted out, it turns out he was the son in law of a notaria here and wasn't even an attorney at all. totally against the law in the US but common practice in ecuador. He thought I was just another dumb gringo but the truth is I am totally aware of what he was up to and wanted to report his a## to the authorities but to no avail because corruption runs high up the ladder of bureaucracy in ecuador. Be prepared to pull more hair before you are done. I am only half bald now so I guess it could have been worse. Buena suerte.

Before we get too negative... after my first hard learning experience, things got much easier. I bought 3 properties, each of which closed in a week or two without problems or surprises. It takes a combination of experience and the ability to schmooze a few key people in the municipality. A $5 box of chocolates can save you thousands of dollars. If the AC is out in the notary's office, go buy them a cold coca cola... adapt to local sensibilities, and you'll find it goes a long way to being treated more like a local.

LaureeJ wrote:

Shipping container is now delayed leaving here until the 30th of this month. So now I will be stuck paying a deposit to customs because I have no residency visa. The delay also means we will be twiddling our thumbs waiting for it to arrive so we can start the renos on the house.

If you're trying to speed up the EC visa process from Canada, you may want to contact Gringo Visas, which has offices in the U.S. and Ecuador and thus can streamline the process for some North Americans.  www.gringovisas.com

Speeding up the visa, as you may already know, can give you a window of time to escape the SENAE tariffs imposed on non-EC-visa holders bringing in a container.

That "deposit to customs" could turn into inescapable and costly SENAE duties if you don't get the visa delay solved.

cccmedia in Quito

jessekimmerling wrote:

Before we get too negative... after my first hard learning experience, things got much easier. I bought 3 properties, each of which closed in a week or two without problems or surprises. It takes a combination of experience and the ability to schmooze...

That track record is impressive, Jesse.

However, the combination you mentioned does not seem to be available to the buyer in this spectacularly complicated San Clemente purchase.

Sellers in multiple countries... buyer in Canada... serious title issues to correct in Ecuador... a finicky bureaucracy to satisfy... and EC attorneys/advisers who have not exactly been covering themselves in glory -- likely it all adds up to serious delays going forward.

If and when the time comes that this deal has to be permanently put to sleep, Lauree, make sure you have an experienced, well-referenced attorney who can get most of your deposit back on the grounds of seller non-performance -- the failure to deliver an unencumbered property on time, whether that time is a contractually-stated deadline or a 'reasonable' period.

cccmedia in Quito

If you eventually reach the point where the tsuris is no longer worth it, consider this safety valve....

Conceptually, take the pressure off yourself and put it squarely on the sellers.

That it is their burden, not yours, to clear up the title issues and deliver to the buyer's attorney all the paperwork from the out-of-country siblings -- in acceptable form and in timely fashion -- or else forfeit the deposit in your favor.

cccmedia in Quito

I wouldn't ship the container yet....better to pay rent on it in Canada than open yourself up to what might happen to in SENAE or how long it might sit there. or know if and when it gets there From what I hear. They make their own rules and what would you do with it down there if the house deal falls through. Better to have access to it if you don't end  getting the house and then have to pay to ship it back.

Fixer uppers present almost the same problem as building. No Home Depot.. No licensed tradespeople. How many hours is it from GYE. Are there any building supply places closer?. If it was me I would walk before I got deeper into it. Where did you find the lawyer. Did you get a recommendation? what does Tony have to say about the whole thing?

Think  before you do anything else....It's not Canada...no point in getting outraged or tearing your hair out...maybe the best thing to do  is  cut your losses. .How much is your sanity worth?...You need the patience of Job to do this kind of thing

It's on a different thread but getting an EC driver's license can rise to the level of getting a bill through Congress

Sue,
I don't think you have the whole story.  The  house was put on the market by the father, then he died. I will still get the house and it's not simply a matter of wait until later.  My house closes here on 31 August and we leave on 4 Sept. That's it.  There is no changing of plans. I have already made arrangements to rent a condo because we need to do renovations on the house before we move in.

I am confident that everything will work out.  It's not the lawyers fault at this point, it's the government agency that screwed up the death certificate in the first place.  Now it's just about me not freaking out!!!!

Lauree,
As you mentioned in your initial post, if you arrange CD, then it is easy to get resident visa here in Canada in Ecuadorian Consulate. We did it last week, took only one day.
We lived in San Clemente this year and now back in Canada and like you our house sold by Aug 31, and going to Ecuador few days after that.
Once you can resolve those issues and I am confident you will, there is so many helpful people in San Clemente, really love that place and people, we were going to build  over there as well and made contact with several builders if you need some name contact me.
Things will get better, but of course, it is never simple. We too are not sure if our place will be ready, but not changing/altering our plans as well.

Thank you Eva!! At least you sound positive!! I can't sit here and sweat over what isn't going exactly as planned. I can't do anything to change it so I will just roll with it!

Not being negative.... looks like you have covered your bases renting a condo.....the gov't agency that screwed up is like a lot of other gov't agencies in EC...third world... not even close to Canada.....where they are probably are not as screwed up as in the US. ...Amazing that Eva can get a resident visa in one day....have heard horror stories about  EC consulate in San Francisco.

Of course having a good attitude helps rolling with it as you said...the ticket is purchased....the closing of your house in Canada is not going to be like the EC house. That is definite.. Knowing the realities of a situation will help reduce some of the frustration and hair pulling

Your  #4 concern sounds a little bit off base and might not happen by the end of Aug. I'm sure if you show up in EC with $25K most banks will open an account for you. You can get a lawyer who will help you with the investment visa once you get down there. I would get a recommendation from one of the expat business community members In Bahia. And be careful who you get the recommendation from. Get at least 2 references...there are a lot of competing interests and don't want to be negative but it is pretty cut throat. If you want a name and phone #  I'll PM it to you once you get down there for someone who can make a recommendation and is not self interested. CCC also gave you a recommendation. Don't know if he'd be willing to do deals in San Clemente.

So try not to freak out. Easier said than done. Enjoy the rest of the summer in Canada and when you get down to EC kick back and enjoy yourself in the condo

It is manana land and you are getting way out of ahead yourself. The container will get there when it gets there and you have no control over that. As far as SENAE (customs) I would treat them with kid gloves. You are at their  mercy. If possible I would go with some one who spoke Spanish, say the lawyer, to explain your predicament with the house and you may find another storage solution.

And those incompetent boobs in SENAE will immediately sense that you feel that way. And a gringa from Canada that doesn't speak Spanish....well they'll give you an even harder time. You might be charged a lot more. It's a poor country and the money, not to accuse anyone of corruption, might end up in their pocket.

You also have little control over when the house closes. ....and the renovations....whole new ball of wax for you.There are plenty here on the Forum that have built, bought and tried to renovate houses. Even some Ecuadorians who faced challenges

Vaya con Dios

suefrankdahl wrote:

I'm sure if you show up in EC with $25K most banks will open an account for you.

Ecuador banks will require you to have the national ID to open an account, with a few exceptions where you can expect alternative tricky requirements.

However, a good attorney may be able to accept a wire for the CD money into the equivalent of an escrow account, possibly avoiding any need for you to get a bank account here immediately.

Another option may be to deposit the money in a co-op institution where the account-opening requirements may be simpler.

If you don't wire the money before departing, make arrangements in advance with your Canadian bank for how the money will eventually be transferred to a bank or co-op here.

cccmedia in Quito

]Negative, you say ?  I'm being realistic. Please try not to sugarcoat all the problems they have here with an idea you can bribe the governments incapability's with a box of candy. Really. Let us be fair and square with people who are asking questions and needing truthful answers. We are only here to help. Or not.

DonCarlos wrote:

Negative, you say ?  I'm being realistic. Please try not to sugarcoat all the problems they have here with an idea you can bribe the governments incapability's with a box of candy. Really. Let us be fair and square with people who are asking questions and needing truthful answers. period.

I was sharing my personal experiences. What worked for me, and what things didn't work. How about we not start accusing each other of being unfair or untruthful?

I 'm sorry and didn't mean to lead anyone astray.or that bribery was something you should engage in. The reports are all anecdotal here about what will or will not happen  as you go thru customs. The rules seem to applied inconsistently and change frequently. I qualified my statement with "might". I am sure it is a possibility. I suggested to her that she go with a Spanish speaker so she might have less problems. She has only been to Ecuador once and my point was that she not show her frustration and dissatisfaction with the way things work or don't work in Ecuador when dealing with gov't officials Corruption is everywhere

jessekimmerling wrote:
DonCarlos wrote:

Negative, you say ?  I'm being realistic. Please try not to sugarcoat all the problems they have here with an idea you can bribe the governments incapability's with a box of candy. Really. Let us be fair and square with people who are asking questions and needing truthful answers. period.

I was sharing my personal experiences. What worked for me, and what things didn't work. How about we not start accusing each other of being unfair or untruthful?

How can one be criticized for treating people with humanity and dignity?  Doing nice things for people one does not know or only has business contact with does not mean it is a bribe.  The idea that a gift must be reciprocated merely cheapens the gift, turns everything ever done into a business transaction.

jessekimmerling wrote:

Before we get too negative... after my first hard learning experience, things got much easier. I bought 3 properties, each of which closed in a week or two without problems or surprises. It takes a combination of experience and the ability to schmooze a few key people in the municipality. A $5 box of chocolates can save you thousands of dollars. If the AC is out in the notary's office, go buy them a cold coca cola... adapt to local sensibilities, and you'll find it goes a long way to being treated more like a local.

Have to agree with you...don't know if these are American sensibilities or universal....The box of chocolates...flowers or thank you note are something I do. People remember it. It is a small gesture that you can make for someone's help that you can't reciprocate  or I suppose what Jesse suggests is an offering in advance so people might go out of their way to make things easier for you. Everyone likes to be acknowledged. And if you ever need their help again it was a very good investment

If the AC was out in the notary's office and I was sitting there as well I'd go buy both of us a cold drink and not even feel like I was schmoozing

Don't know if it was good training growing up but I never show up empty handed when I am invited somewhere whether it's for dinner or to be a house guest.. Chocolates or a nice bottle of wine.

This wasn't really my American upbringing. It's my Ecuadorian wife that has taught me how to get on the good side of Ecuadorian bureaucrats. I think it's just a cultural thing. Some of it is just being friendly... like a coke on a hot day. Some of it is a response to an official that is clearly being difficult. Not really a bribe, but a peace offering to bureaucrats with big egos... just a little tithing to the gods of paper shuffling.

jessekimmerling wrote:

Not really a bribe, but a peace offering to bureaucrats with big egos... just a little tithing to the gods of paper shuffling.

Wish we could do that here..........can just see myself going into DMV with my expired DL and smoothing over the hassle

LaureeJ wrote:

Thank you Eva!! At least you sound positive!!

Here's a potentially positive idea -- look via the link below at a finished house named Casa Ola (Wave House) that has come onto the market on the San Clemente oceanfront.  It's the brainchild of an engineer named Volkhard who put three years into the project from concept to completion.

To keep the house cool, the design has a cross-ventilation system that takes advantage of the ocean breezes.  Air flow is accelerated and funneled to the interior, with plenty of sliding doors and windows.  Even the bedrooms are cooled through the system.

This place has its own website....

http://volkhard.wix.com/casaola

cccmedia in Quito

Sue,

I have a Ecuadorian lawyer and a retired US lawyer who is my Power of Attorney. I have had both of these in place since June.  While I do appreciate feedback for the most part, I too have done my homework and until one is actually going through the process and not just reading about it, one does not know how things are.

Are you actually planning on moving there or are you there already?

As far as renovations are concerned, I have many great contacts there. More importantly I have my boyfriend who is the most skilled man I have ever met when it comes to making anything gorgeous.  I have also met wonderful people on this site and our private San Clemente Facebook group that are dying to help out, mostly because they are looking for something to do!  Who said I didn't speak Spanish? I have actually lived in Costa Rica and Mexico for fairly lengthy amounts of time and although it was awhile ago I still manage to get by with my Spanish. When that doesn't work I throw in some French and that seems to do the trick.  I am well aware that there isn't a Home Depot there, good. Also glad there isn't a Walmart or McDonalds or some other US/Can monster company there as well.

Also, as I may not have mentioned, this is not my first rodeo. I am well travelled and I totally understand the way things are south of the Canadian border. So unless someone is living there and wants to suggest where I can buy a really cute orange scooter, I'm good.

I have seen that place!!! It is gorgeous! I almost wish it was on the market when I was there looking, although I really did score with my place for the price and the secluded location.  I am the second house on a dead end road. Just one neighbour to the right and a house of local artists to my left. Some awesome San Clemente expats that I met on Facebook keep sending me messages letting me know what is going on at my house. Such as, "Hey, someone has left a light on there and they are moving things out and we heard some hammering and sawing going on!" Fantastic!!!! I haven't even met these people in person yet and they are already looking out for me!!

I already feel such a great sense of community there. I even had a wonderful woman who replied to a question I had on FB regarding visa paperwork.  She is a native Ecuadorian but living in England.  She called me on the phone to help me out!! Wow!!!

We are leaving here in 20 days! I can't wait. I should mention Santa Marianita and my friend Linda's wonderful guesthouse.  It's called the Donkey's Den. She built it 10 years ago and it is amazing!! When I stayed there for 4 days I had the room called "Holly", all of the rooms are named after various dogs she has had. My room had a full kitchen, gorgeous huge bathroom and a balcony with a high top bistro set and a little BBQ overlooking the ocean. All for a measly $64 USD.  The common area has a bar fridge that is based on the honor system. If you take a beverage out of the fridge, you write it down on the board and settle up when you leave.  From the moment I arrived there it felt like home. So much so that we are going there first on Sept 4 when we first arrive in EC. We are spending one night there and then 3 nights at my new friends clifftop gorgeous casa. After that we are off to SC!!  I must also mention that the condo we are renting is 2 bedrooms, 2 baths with a rooftop terrace and all for $600 per month.  Not bad. It is Vistazul and they are part of the resort across the street, Palmazul, where you have access to their facilities such as the pool. The units there are $90k to start and very nice and modern.

Off I go to pack up more boxes!!! Cheers! Salud! Hasta!

A little kindness goes a long way no matter what country you are in!!! Thanks for the post.

LaureeJ wrote:

I have seen that place!!! It is gorgeous!

Interesting that the living area under roof, 324 m^2 / 3487 sf, is larger than the lot, which is 300 m^2 / 3229 sf...I'm not sure how that works...

OsageArcher wrote:
LaureeJ wrote:

Interesting that the living area under roof, 324 m^2 / 3487 sf, is larger than the lot, which is 300 m^2 / 3229 sf...I'm not sure how that works...

Is it a two story building?

Sounds great............your original post just kind of elicited a knee jerk reaction from me and maybe some of the other posters......didn't know you  had Spanish language skills and that you were  well engaged in what sounds like a very supportive community on FB who will be there waiting to help you.

I was really happy (but worried) for you when you first bought the house. Don't know if you remember that conversation.

No, I am not there and based on what I have read here on EC Forum would not be able to deal with the hassles of building or renovating on the coast.  I've followed the thread for about 3 years. My Spanish language skills are virtually nil and for many other reasons would not want to take on this kind of a project

If I go to the EC coast it is likely to be strictly for a vacation. I  have already started hatching another expat plan on a different warm sunny coast. But I stay on the Forum because I have friends and former compatriots here and it is always nice to see what could be a success story (like you) and how you overcame the challenges. My unsolicited advice is usually not too far off base for those with ill considered and totally unrealistic plans.

It sounds like you have a lot going for you to make this a really enjoyable experience. A great attitude, lots of enthusiasm, Tony and good neighbors who are already willing to pitch in.

Maybe the last place you will need to go for answers is the Forum

When you first wrote that you'd bought the house I thought OMG.I don't believe it. My attitude remains the same ....go for it and more power to you.

Keep us posted :)

Sue

mugtech wrote:
OsageArcher wrote:
LaureeJ wrote:

Is it a two story building?

Ha ha you're right, it's still a small lot though!  I think because we are more interested in one-story ranch style homes it just went right over my head, even though I saw the picture.  The price makes it not of much interest, too...

Hello group
I just became a member when I saw, my website about Casa Ola had been accessed from this blog.
I am Volkhard Neumann, as someone here wrote, the brainchild of Casa Ola.
I am proud that some of you really like the house (I do to :) ).
I just want to chime in regards to the question of size of construction/ terrain etc:
Yes, Casa Ola is a full 2 story house. Staircase in insde (much safer) and pretty wide (4ft) and straight so some day a small stair lift could be added when climbing the (comfortable) stairs becomes too cumbersome.
We actually like our compactness of the lot as we are pretty independent and the whole concept of Casa Ola has been the lowest amount of maintenance. For someone who needs more room, the lot next to Casa Ola is for sale for $50000 (last I heard).One could add all kind of amenities (pool, gym, one or 2 little guesthouses (should we call them Casa Olitas? ;) ).
There are as many tastes out there as there are buyers and it is a question for a buyer to find the house that is right for him/her, nothing else matters.

No more from me at this point, just wanted to clarify. My webpage is here for more info and to contact me directly and privately with any questions.              [link moderated]

Btw. The escritura (title) of Casa Ola is free and clear, no relatives in the woodworks that need to sign.

Have a terrific weekend

Volkhard

Thanks Sue!! The only thing I am second guessing myself about is the whole shipping container thing.  Although from my recent experiences with trying to sell my car on Kijiji I am kind of glad we are shipping our stuff. I did check out prices on things like tools, etc when I was there and we are still ahead of the game in that respect.  I have a sense that you are similar to myself and like things done efficiently and in a timely manner. That is the one thing I have to get over. Like I had mentioned before, I made my decision and there is no turning back!! Even if there was a way I still wouldn't.  That house spoke to me.  Not in a scary haunted way but in a way that said I will be extremely happy there. Thankfully I have a great boyfriend who is always up for a challenge and has a great eye for making things awesome.

I will keep you posted. Hopefully the next thing I post will be something about things moving in the right direction!!!

Take care and you will always be welcome to visit me in San Clemente!!!

Actually, Volkhard, Casa Ola is your brainchild .. and what an offspring it is!

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.  Thank you for sharing so much about Casa Ola and how you designed it.

cccmedia in Quito