Surviving in Rio

Hello everyone,
I would really appreciate if someone gave me an answer. My mother is Brazilian and  my dad is originally from Papua New Guinean. I do have a brazilian passport, cpf and identity card but as soon as i turned 18, it has expired, they told me that i needed to be get my full natonality. i moved here in March thinking i was going to go straight into school to finish off my year 12 but they asked me about this paper. i have already applied for it but it will only be available in July! i really need to finish off my studies or do something here in Rio de Janeiro for a living. i have a one year old son living with my mother in France with my other two siblings. I moved here from France because they didnt accept me into school because of my age. My mother doesnt work and my father lives all the way in Papua New Guinea, which i havent heard from him a year ago. He suffered from his 3rd stroke last month and i dont know what to do ! i need to find a way to live here in brazil hence my mother doesnt work aswell! i live with my cousin here in rio, but she has her own life, she doesnt really mind what i do, so could someone please help me find something to do here! i dont speak portuguese and my legal papers are in process. Education is really important to me and it will really help if someone helped me.

Were you born in Brazil or were you born abroad and obtained citizenship originally through your Brazilian mother?

If you've already applied to re-acquire your Brazilian citizenship you should have received a protocol from the Federal Police, won't the school accept that? You should check. I'd suggest that you present the school copies of your CPF, passport and original ID card with the protocol and see what they can do. I'd be willing to bet that they'll accept those until your citizenship is established.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hey James,
Thank you for replying, and yes I was born abroad in the USA, obtained my citizenship through my mother.

And yes I have received my protocol , and I have everything here from my birth certificate to all my reports translated into Portuguese but they still want my new ID.

Is there anything else I could do in Rio for the mean time ? I really don't like staying home all day. Could you please suggest to me something for people like me. It will be a great help. Thank you

Does your protocol state "Valido como documento de Identidade" and/or did the Federal Police stamp your passport "Registrado Como Permanente" because they're supposed to do one or the other (even both if you insist).

If you've got either of those then show them to the school, they have to accept it. If they don't tell them you're going to consult a lawyer and apply for a "Mandado de Segurança" in the Tribunal Regional Federal - TRF, that will rattle their cage enough that you should get some action out of them. If necessary do just that. A Mandado de Segurança is an Order from a Federal Court Judge which is given when there is any violation of Constitutional Rights. It's a "desk order", which means your lawyer makes the application, states the violation, doesn't even have to produce much in the way of evidence, and you don't even appear. The judge looks at the application and issues the Order. It is done very quickly, usually same day.

Cheers,
James

You could also go back to the Federal Police and request a copy of your SINCRE that will have your RNE Number on it and the school MUST accept that. They have absolutely no choice.

Hey James,

Thank you so much for your help. I started class a week ago and I didn't have time to get on since I'm still trying to speak Portuguese and ialso had to convince the school with my grandmother, it was hard but it worked out well!  Thank you so much for your help. May God continue to bless you !

Have a great day :)

Nicky ^-^