Areas to live in chiang mai

Hi everyone. I just got a job in Mueang, Chiang Mai.
I'm struggling to find information on where to live.
I obviously want to be close to work as I will ride my bicycle there each day.
I want to rent a bungalow (hopefully just because I love them), nothing too fancy but a little house kind of vibe. It needs to be close to amenities and as affordable as possible.
I'm very unfamiliar with the areas and am struggling to find a map showing the districts (also because I suck serious balls at technology) around Mueng.
Does anyone have advice on what area to try rent in that would meet my needs?????

Hello,

You can find a map of Chiang Mai in this website ( mapupper and maplower ) :
http://findercm.com/maplower.htmlhttp://findercm.com/mapupper.html

Muang is very wide you need to specify the precise area like : Mae Hia, Pa Daet, Suthep, Tha Sa La, Nong Hoi, Fa Ham, Chang Phuak, Wat Khet, Chang Klan, Hai Ya, Sri Phum, Phra Singh, etc....

As you want to be close to our work, precise the location or close to what, like airport ( south, north, west, east ), CMU ( university ), etc...

Some areas are expensive like around airport Suthep, Mae Hia, ... depends on your budget for accomodation it can worth looking a little bit more far to save and drive 15-20mn max ( road 108/121 is quite fast )

The landmark I can give u is Sarasas School in Chiang Mai....close to the train station.

That's all the details I have. So without a car I would need to get to that location each day.

Which of the areas you mentioned would be affordable and close to amenities?

Thanks for your quick response it's greatly appreciated.

Ask at Kong Gaew Guest Cottages  = Singharat Soi 3 in the NW corner in the old city.

Thanks so much!!

Sarasas school close to the train station? If u work there u shouldn't live in the old city area. You should look around Buak Krok Luang area. Please send me message if u need more details.

Renting a bungalow close to the city centre will cost plenty. In addition, security is a factor.
Yes, rent a room in a guesthouse initially.
When you are settled , there are many condos for rent. The longer the term of lease, the greater your negotiability. Condo residency provides location, security, services, transport, close to major shopping centres, hospitals etc.

In Chiang Mai, you do not need a bundle of $$$ to live - one of the cheaper places to live & love/lust in Thailand.

My gut feeling is that most expats leave within 3 years - OUCH!

Why do they leave?

Unrealistic expectations
Nonskilful preparation eg $$$, location
Isolation
Running away from their problems which obviously follow them
Looking for the perfect partner.

WHAT OTHER REASONS?

Maybe the smoke problem?

Nomadpooge wrote:

Maybe the smoke problem?

very little smoking nowadays. was a lot worse 20 years ago.
many leave because they do not integrate just staying with faranghs

try this for a map
https://www.google.co.th/maps/@18.69499 … 1,8z?hl=en

and here's a decent relator for chiang mai

http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th/EN/index.aspx

good luck
Mike
ps ya got to clk rent button then move very quickly to house or condo   but it does work.......

Thank you!

Hey carywary
Somewhere to stay or live in or around Chiangmai is no problem, as some have said......First just get here, check in to somewhere for a few nights and start asking people at your work place, you won't have any problems.......Don't over book your length of stay, Don't over commit.......there is a lot when you start looking.

As far as smoke, (mentioned as being no problem) Smoke no.....Smog BIG problem, starting around Mid March and lasting up until the rains...anywhere up to April or May....In fact it is so bad it is in the very high danger levels. Just saying! A lot of burning of vegetation.....

Which part of CM city is your place of work?

i live in pattaya / bangkok

To clarify, is "Mueang" a district in Chiang Mai or does it mean something else?
Sawatdee krap!

Hi mchkin, I just subscribed to the Real Estate site u mentioned.
I think its going to be very helpful when I move to Chiang Mai.
Thanks for the advice, Brian  :D:cheers:

Hi Dakan47, Is there a wed site for the Guest Cottages u mention?
Many thanks, Brian   :D:cheers:

Thinking of retiring in Chiang Mai.  What areas would be most suitable for my wife and I?
We prefer not to be in touristy areas, but would like access to good local food, markets etc. where language is not too much of a problem.  We are also planning to join a golf club and would like to be close to a golf course.  We like Mae Jo and are also considering CM Highlands, but are interested in other courses with reasonable memberships.

Dpetryk wrote:

Thinking of retiring in Chiang Mai.  What areas would be most suitable for my wife and I?
We prefer not to be in touristy areas, but would like access to good local food, markets etc. where language is not too much of a problem.  We are also planning to join a golf club and would like to be close to a golf course.  We like Mae Jo and are also considering CM Highlands, but are interested in other courses with reasonable memberships.

Isn't CM Highlands a sort of an expat enclave if not touristy?
http://www.chiangmaihighlands.com/
Seems like a contradiction. But it sounds like you've been to Mai before.
Do you feel that you would have access to "good local food, markets" from a gold resort?

Yes, been a couple of times.  We are not stuck on any specific golf course and would love some recommendations on courses offering reasonable memberships.  Also not looking at living in a golf community, just thinking of areas that would be close to golf and that are not too remote.