Nurse from Scotland wish to move to Gothenburg. Any Advice?

Hi there,

My name is Catherine and I'm from Bonny Scotland, I want to move to Gothenburg to live with my Swedish partner.

Ok, I have one positive going for me and that's being a registered nurse. On the not so positive side I do not speak a word of Swedish although I have now started to learn..

There are a lot of familiar words in Scots language that are in the Swedish Language so that cuts learning down a little..

I am concerned I want to move and contribute to society and not be stuck in a jobless rut..any advice please ?

You will need to learn Swedish in order to continue nursing here in Sweden. There are courses such as SFI and SAS, and even more particular studies in order to get your medical vocabulary on par. Some nurses end up doing home care with limited Swedish, and that's ok too.

Sorry to see that you haven't gotten many replies. The hard thing about when people ask about the job market here is that it's a harsh place to try to find a job, and it's even harder to be honest about it. I would love to tell people that it's lovely here, but in reality, in your situation I would still expect to be jobless for more than a year while you learn Swedish, maybe 2 years to really complete the language schooling, and even then you will need real life practice to become more fluent.

There are a lot of people who become incredibly successful and learn the language really fast. I learned it in 2 years myself, then took another year to become more comfortable. What does your Swede think of Scotland though? Is that an option for you two?

Hiya!
Learn Swedish, go to the Arbvux and be pushy!
Get your certificates and get stuck into the lingo!
A very ex pat from Ardrossan...
And don't stay here more than 3 years unless you're in it for the long haul.
D