Expat's Journey

I arrived in HCM on January 14, 2015. I was hoping to get a job easily for I am an experienced English teacher for more than ten years, I was disappointed that I still don't have a stable teaching job, I've been in HCM for more than two months now.
I thank God to have such wonderful group of friends whose been my support and refuge.
I realized that experiences in my field are not enough because the schools preferred certified teachers, I may be an AB English graduate with 6 years of teaching experience in an international academy in Myanmar but if you are not from US, UK, Canada and other English speaking countries most of the schools will only give you a chance to work if you are certified in CELTA, TESOL and other certifications but it's still not an assurance.
I really want to stay longer in here in HCM if given a chance to land on a good teaching job and hopefully get my certification here. I do hope I will land on a good teaching job soon :)

Hi Rona Fee,

I am studying MA at SEAMEO RETRAC. Most of students are Vietnamese, but there is also an Irish guy! So I think you may be interested in this http://www.vnseameo.org/dfse/?id=388.

Cheers,

Tracy

TESOL is a 120 hour online course, so why not just do it?
It is govt regulation that stipulate the requirements for employment in teaching positions, not the english centres. They just do as they are instructed.
In 2 - 3 weeks, you could be employed with a TESOL certification

Hi Rona!

Try to visit Vung Tau! 😁😁😁

I'm living here for almost a year now and I don't have any teaching experiences since i worked in a corporate office in the middle east before.

I don't have any certifications at all. I know my english is not perfect but i can speak fluently without any problems.

You can apply in some english centers here in Vung tau or in some universities. Give it a try! 😁😁😁

It's much cheaper to live here too.

Btw, I'm getting 25usd per class and i have 12 classes a week. I'm working for 4hours a day only. In the morning i have a home-based job from a company in hcmc. :)

Let me know when you wanted to visit VT! :)

Iamunicaija,

Thank you very much for the information. I will let you know if ever I decided to go to VT. :)

Kiwijas,

Thank you for the information :)

Hi Rona Fe,

I Think you can organize class to teach english.
I can help you find student.
Please tell me how money you want per one hour or ano month?

Moderated by Mishna
Reason: no personal contact details on the forum please