Books to Learn Vietnamese in HCM

Hi Fellow Expats,

I'm here in Saigon for 10 months, till June 2011.
I'd like to learn a bit of Vietnamese
while I'm here teaching English.

Anyone know where to find
an English to Vietnamese textbook.

I already have a couple travel guides
with tourist expressions,
but I am looking for a better text.
More on Vietnamese grammar and structures.

If you know where I can buy one
or have a specific title I can look for,
I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks much.
Brother Donald

vietnewsonline.vn/News/Lifestyle/Life/5459/Ho-Chi-Minh-Citys-biggest-bookstore-to-open.htm

this store should help you out on your quest to learn some Vietnamese

Dear Flipmysoul --

Thanks for the suggestion.
I live in Quan 9 so only get into the city on Sundays,
but I'll see if I can work my way over to this mega-store.
Hope to find something.

Thanks again!

I found one at the Fahasa store
in Tan Dinh.
Tieng Viet -- Vietnamese for Beginners.
Comes with a CD
and text book.
Looks like it has a combination of conversations
with a bit of grammar mixed in.
I'll give it a try
and let y'all know how it is.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Donald

You can search on youtube, the learning Vietnamese video, you can find more.

For me, I am building the free Vietnamese class on every Sunday in District 10, floor 3, Education coffee at Coopmart - 497 Hoa Hoa, District. if convience for you, join to our team.

These book would helpful for you:
1. Learn & Practice Vietnamese by Le Khanh Vy  -256 pages – price VND 36. 000
2. Vietnamese for foreigners by Nguyen Anh Que – 464 pages – VND 45.000

Or better you contact below university, they have the Vietnamese courses and the book that is very good and details for foreigners, I registered courses for son of my boss, he learnt very fast and quickly.
3. Vietnamese as a Second Language 1 -6, – it is set of 6 books,
4. Dictionary of Basic Vietnamese Grammar
Contact: Department of Vietnamese Studies and Vietnamese Language for Foreigners, University of Social Sciences and Humanities (Vietnam National University – Ho Chi Minh City).
Address: 10 – 12 Dinh Tien Hoang Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
E-mail: [email protected]
Hope to speak in Vietnamese to you shortly, nice week! 

Hi,

You can find the name of books here

vinabook.com/vietnamese-for-foreigners-tieng-viet-cho-nguoi-nuoc-ngoai-m11i17848.html

Good luck to you!

Oh, do y want to exchange language with me? I can improve english and you can improve vietnamese.

Brother Donald:

If you need any help please let me know.

Learning Vietnamese is easier and much more fun if it's done in a casual environment...among friends!

my sister has a vietnamese-english dictionary which i find very helpful. it says 'the concice Oxford dictionary' by Duc Minh. if that book you're interested in, i can ask my sister where to buy it!!

hihi, it sounds great. Unfortunately, he's only here till June, 2011. He will soon forget all his Vietnamese :(

Here's a website that has Vietnamese presented in the southern dialect.  Most learning programs, like Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone, use the northern dialect.  The differences between the two can be substantial. 

everydayviet.com/

Here's another link to their site that lists their recommended software and books. 

everydayviet.com/learn-vietnamese-software/

The Oxford Picture Dictionary (OPD) is very good.  I've used it extensively for teaching English. Fahasa bookstores sell it for around 200K VND.

Here's a free Vietnamese text to speech program you could use with the OPD.

vnspeech.com/

Good luck.

it is not hard if you learn vnmese by yourself, Donald. But the pronunciation of vietnamese is different to each person:D and then I think it is bette if you learn from some vietnamese friends.
Wish you can speak vnmese after 10 months!:)

Hi Brother Donald,

I am using a good material including a book and 3 CDs. The book has conversation for practice, grammar instruction and fulfill with many photos. The name is "Modern Vietnamese - Author Phan Van Giuong" (Vietnamese title Tiếng Việt Hiện Đại). The series have 4 level from stage 01 - 04 depend on your ability.

I am recommend of this book because I am using it for teaching my student. Almost good feedback from them! Good luck for your study.

Best regards,
Bin W.

If you are living in D9, you can try on coopmart, it have a Fahasa store in.

Nice to meet you! I'm live in Dictrict 9

You can learn Vietnamese language by Rosetta stone Vietnamese software.
FYI,
https://www.expat.com/en/classified/asi … tware.html

Learning Vietnamese with Annie on youtube is the best online resource I have found (Pimsleur is good - far better than the absurdly outdated FSI course from the 1960s which is only made available through the Freedom of Information Act - but teaches the northern pronunciation).

Be sure to practice and get feedback from native speakers as much as possible. The tones are pretty difficult to master ('master' here used in the loosest sense possible...but the fact is that unless you really focus on faithfully recreating the tones it will be extremely difficult for native speakers to understand you beyond very basic utterances in obvious contexts).

Dammit sucked in by the old thread rehash once again...

Update on BrotherDonald: His 10 month trip to Vietnam turned into a lifetime. He now has a Vietnamese wife, three little halflings and his Vietnamese skills are so advanced that he was recently hired by the Ministry of Education to translate the Collected Works of Ho Chi Minh into English so that his wisdom could be spread to all the world's peoples (well the English speaking ones anyways, Spanish and Chinese translations currently in the works).

Oh I forgot to add he would prefer it if you refer to him as Comrade Donald henceforth.