Top 5 tips to live in Bangladesh

Hi,

When you are going to live abroad, you may have a lot of questions. Hence to facilitate you in this process, we are inviting expats to share their top 5 tips with regards to settling and living in Bangladesh.

What recommendations would you give soon-to-be expats in Bangladesh?

How should they prepare efficiently for their expatriation project and settling in?

Please share with us your best advice for a successful expatriation in Bangladesh!

Thank you in advance :)

1. You must be culturally, emotionally, spiritually and physically prepared for a new life and new surprises waiting for you here.
2. Read and learn about this country before you embark on anything (in general). There are a good choices of restaurant but you have to be in the know where they are located and which ones are.
3. Bring mosquito repellent(s). A welcome party awaits you when you set your foot at the airport. As soon as the plane taxes the Dhaka airport, apply the lotion or cream on your hands, arms and feet especially if your skin is sensitive.
4. Be respecful for each person you meet as 'different strokes for different folks' aptly apply here and be mindful of their religion, cultural beliefs and a country as a whole.
5. In every country, there will be bad and good persons you will meet along the way. Be smart enough to identify and distinguish them. Expat friends like me can help when you need one. :-)

Agree with Ylec. However if any expat need to know anything more here in Bangladesh on any issue, I am here to help as well.

Agree with my kabayan Ylec. Some additions that you may also find helpful upon setting foot here are, generally, Bangladeshi people are good, disciplined when it comes to their prayer ritual, I really admired their dedication for prayer -- 5 times a day!, sometimes I am tempting to think to be converted to muslim because of this good attitude.  Their being hardworking and resilience are among the praise worthy for general people. However, in any part of the world there are also bad and good people to some extent such as extremism ( depending on your definition). Many good people are just influence of the bad people and major event here is mostly political in nature, common people are just easily influence by those with self vested interest but generally they are peace loving people. On your personal settings you may also add to your preparation the following:

1. While you can cook your own food or find a restaurant or hotel which maybe too expensive for your budget, you may accept that majority of food here are cooked with curry, turmaric and chili which according to Google is healthy for the body. I like their chicken bunna, beef bunna, and vegetable dhull and of course the beef biriani in medium spicy.

2. Be ready to accept that in any part of the world there are swindlers and shrewds, so be careful also in your dealings. Learn their language for you to learn their culture deeply.  Do not expect to see beautiful sightseeings in Dhaka as you will never raise the bar of your expectations, their beautiful places are outside of Dhaka such as Syhllet, Cox Bazaar, Chittagong, etc though I still didn't go there yet except syhllet as they are too far for road transport.

3. When buying something evaluate the price against the item you're going to buy as they tend to increase the price if they knew that you're a foreigner. Do not bring so many clothes when coming here as you will find so many branded clothes lining on the road with some minor defects and the shops as well. They have only two malls here which you will find strange as the shops inside are closed during holidays, waching movie in the mall is also a good experience..I fell in line for the long queue for Man of Steel movie just to be told at the counter the ticket is next day showing (lol)    -- tendency love your room!

4. You will find mostly modern ladies here in Dhaka but still majority are conservative; Don't expect night life here as you can only find them in some distant places of Dhaka or in Hotel only. Alcohol is limited to those with access to underground selling, membership clubs  so such a lonely life awaiting you here :), but I can buy for you by appointment :)

5. Don't expect life will become more convenient for you or more easier as you may spend hours in the road. Dont expect many taxi as it is rare here. National Transport here is Bus for long travel, Rickshaw and CNG motor (mini tricycle) is also can save the day.   

Overall, Bangladesh is still young but ready to develop in full blast as compared to modern countries or even to some south east asian countries who already set foot into steady progress. Nevertheless she has great potential to become a great country in the near future in which I am also here waiting to see her full bloom.

Come and see! and experience life in different perspective.

hi Yelc are you still in Dhaka.