Safety and life in Kano

I work as a principal of an International school in Egypt. I was offered a job as a principal in Kano. However; Most of my friends and what I read tell me that it's not safe at all. Therefore; I would like to know the following in order to take a decision:
1- safety. As I see negative media coverage regarding this issue.
2- Internet/ mobile services.
3- health services/ health tips regarding local health hazards (if applicable).
4- availability and fees of good schools.
5- social life and entertainment facilities.
6- Availability of good supermarkets and the average of monthly grocery.
7- prices of transportation/ renting a car for a long term.
8- having a bank account and an ATM card to deposit/withdraw money.
9- any other tips that may be useful for a new expatriate to settle and get integrated in local life

Hello aakwaqf,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

As you have a long list of questions, about several aspects of how life is in Nigeria, I advise you to browse through the various threads found on the Nigeria forum. There are many members who provided helpful information.

To give you a head start, you can have a look at the following threads.
- The other side of the Nigerian postcard
- About Safety - Night Life - Cost of living - Is $670 enough?

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

I was just thinking about the last point: social life can be interesting knowing many foreigners there and many Nigerians are friendly, but not like Egyptians surely...
I've been working in Cairo for 6 years and now I'm working in Lagos, where I've met some Egyptians thanking some social network.
Good luck!
Tea

aakwaqf wrote:

I work as a principal of an International school in Egypt. I was offered a job as a principal in Kano. However; Most of my friends and what I read tell me that it's not safe at all. Therefore; I would like to know the following in order to take a decision:
1- safety. As I see negative media coverage regarding this issue.
2- Internet/ mobile services.
3- health services/ health tips regarding local health hazards (if applicable).
4- availability and fees of good schools.
5- social life and entertainment facilities.
6- Availability of good supermarkets and the average of monthly grocery.
7- prices of transportation/ renting a car for a long term.
8- having a bank account and an ATM card to deposit/withdraw money.
9- any other tips that may be useful for a new expatriate to settle and get integrated in local life

Dear Aakwaqf,

1. Safety: It is not advisable as of now. I will suggest you go after election where a new president must have resumed office as security situation in that part of Nigeria is really not stable.
And if you decide to still go, then here are answers to your remaining questions.

2. Internet / Mobile Services: Mobile services, I will rate fair. I will also suggest you have at-least 2 mobile phones with 2 diff service providers. Internet services also I will rate fair.

3. Health services: The major issue is malaria. Protect yourself against mosquitoes and you will be fine.
4. Availability of schools / Fees: There are a lot of good schools in Kano. Fees are also fair depending on what grade.

5. Social life: You will find quite a few.
6. Availability of super markets: This is not a problem as there are a lot of super markets where you can always get where to get groceries easily. There is also Shop-rite, a South African based retail and fast food company which has a very huge store in Kano and other various parts of Nigeria.Average monthly grocery will be around $120 - $270 (depending on how you spend.

7. I will suggest you just buy one. Renting a car is not really advisable. You can easily buy a second hand for easy mobility. Public transport is not advisable

8. Having a bank account: This will not be a problem for you.

9. Other tips: Try to be at alert always. Be friendly with the locals, show care and concern for those working for you and they will spread the good word about you which in return make your stay very pleasurable and easy.

I hope this is helpful...