Married Brit (no kids) offered a job with gas company. Advice please.

Hi Everyone,

I've been offered a training job in the field near Abu Dhabi. Basically, I can get home (wherever I rent a 1- bedroom flat) three nights a week. Every second weekend is a 3-day weekend. When I'm in the field, I have no expenses and I could just stay in the field if I were single and I'd go for it. However, looking at Dubizzle the 28,000 AED I've been offered (that's all-in) looks really bad, once you factor in housing, which I have to pay for if I want to bring the wife, who is young, exceptionally beautiful and worried to death about her own security in the Middle East. First of all-Can anyone recommend a really safe place to live with other western women, security,a pool, gym etc which I can afford on 28k a month? Secondly, she has an MA and is an HR Manager who speaks English and Polish (she also has a lot experience in event  and hotel management), so would someone like that find a job easily there? Thirdly, I'm worried about her being alone a few days a week as I think she'll feel isolated (miss me, family and friends etc), so what's the easiest way to meet other women and make friends? I don't think I'll save much on that salary but a war where I normally work has screwed things up a bit for us. I've lived in Kuwait, Saudi and Qatar but have spent the last 10 years in North African oil fields and as a consequence, I'm a bit out of touch with Gulf living. Any advice, especially from Brits or Poles would be welcome and thanks in advance. I haven't accepted the offer and my attempt at getting more came to nothing.

you can have a decent life style leaving family in the city and visiting on weekends. UAE is a pretty safe place and you can afford a good lifestyle. Security is the last thing you should be concerned for the family.

Sorry to say that yes 28,000aed ALL IN is not good to have for westerners.  IF 28K plus accomodation that is better.  Haggle some more if they really want you they will give in.  Accommodation here whether in apartments or villas are very expensive and that is the norm here.  It is usually covered by the employer PLUS the salary.  FYI, it is also expensive here so better do some more research.

Don't worry about the security, this is one of the safest places in earth. Besides, most of the European women are staying alone in this country. An advantage you have is, your wife can stay under your visa and try for jobs so that she will have an engagement and can support you on your savings.Wish you best of luck :)