How to get a boat in saigon

Hi guys, i live in district 7, the era town,  my condo complexes is  right next to the river.  i really to get a boat just to ride around the river.  I want to know how to buy small boat in vn and do i need any special license.  I live in Nha be area

I have an inflatable Zodiac as well as a internationally recognized Seamanship course I gained in Canada.

When I used the boat in Nha Trang a while back, the smartly dressed and fairly well equipped Vietnamese Coast Guard did equipment inspections of my boat and they also took photocopies of my accreditations.

My boat is registered with the Peoples Committee in DakLak, and I have a licence for my marine radio.

The SaiGon River is a controlled navigation area, which requires proof of seamanship skills. There are a couple of sea chandlers/boat builders off the extreme end of GO O MOI Street in Quan 7 ... but you will need a translator.

It is not quite easy. But perhaps, you can try this way.
-  Vietnam law doesn't require License at the moment.
-  You ask your representative to buy it for you.

minhland wrote:

It is not quite easy. But perhaps, you can try this way.
-  Vietnam law doesn't require License at the moment.
-  You ask your representative to buy it for you.

I would take advice from the post from jaitch and not from minhland as his way might just get you into trouble.

Boats have to be Registered - the semantics of the name of this process doesn't matter - the RIVER SAIGON and parts of NHA TRANG are navigable waterways. Whether a boat has to be registered is solely dependent upon length.

I have an acquaintance in TRI TON who imported an aluminum hulled boat for commercial uses based on the southern coast.His boat is TRI-TON registered - a town well inland but with a busy river - and he has all manner of permits/licences. Boat registration, radio licence, radar licence, he has Vietnamese and Cambodian boat operators licences (no operator licence in Cambodia costs USD$28/day for daily permit).

http://www.alnmaritec.co.uk/images/boats_gallery/aln102_00.jpg

He rents mooring at the VN Navy base in Ha Tien. He checks in with Customs whenever he moves from the waters of one country to the other.

Whilst VNese wooden boat operators might get away with murder as far compliance is concerned, this 'courtesy' doesn't extend to Foreigners.

@nickuscdds12001

Hi Ducky

This Dzung Nguyen from San Jose.  Have heard from you for all time, buddy!  How are you doing? It is great to know that you are interested in boating.  I love it too.

What is your phone # and address there?

I bought a beach front condo in Nha Trang this summer 2023.

Keep in touch, buddy!

Dzung Nguyen

Moderated by Bhavna 7 months ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@dzungsi2002

Hello, please note that you are responding to a post from 2014. It's been 8 years since this member last logged in.

I would suggest that you participate on more recent threads of the Vietnam forum.

Regards

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed