Chisinau?

Hi guys, me and my husband are being posted (with his job) to Moldova around next may. We are going trough emotional roller-coaster of excitement mixed with worry about how life will be over there. I am trying to find out as much as I can before our departure from Berlin and get mentally prepared for the challenges we may face in Moldova.
As we still have quite a few months before the move so we want to start learning the language, and here we already are confused what should it be...Russian? Romanian? Any suggestions?
I am also interested in accommodation, is it possible to find some flat/apartment that isn't in one of these big blocks? (I am sorry if I sounded arrogant, that was not my intention)
Do you guys have any tips on do's and don'ts in Chisinau? Do you enjoy the city?

Hi paniewa,

I am a British man living in Chisinau for the past 2 years with my Moldovan/British wife and so far it is ok so you don't need to worry.

The main language seems to be changing to Moldovan now however most people speak Russian and a  little English.

Accommodation outside the apartment blocks is difficult to find and will be very expensive. However there are a lot of brand new apartments being built and I am sure one of those would suit.

Make sure you obtain medical insurance when you arrive here it is inexpensive and renewal annually.

You will also need to obtain a temporary residency permit after you have been here for 90 days. It is a bit time consuming but fairly easy to obtain, just make sure you have someone who speaks Moldovan or Russian when you go to the immigration department on Stefan Cel Mare Street, (the main street in Chisinau). 

Shopping wise you are spoilt for choice especially in places like MallDova and on Stefan Cel Mare street.

When you get to the restaurants make sure you order everything to be served at the same time, for instance if you order steak and chips you will find the chips will arrive in 5 minutes and the steak 20 minutes later.......Meals and drinks are not expensive here and good wine is plentiful.

Weather wise it gets very hot here in summer +35c sometimes and winter is cold down to minus 20c.

Transport is easy, trolley buses run almost everywhere and are very cheap, next are minibuses, these run everywhere except in the centre of the city and are also inexpensive. These can be stopped anywhere just by holding your hand up. You will need to learn the numbering system of the minibuses to know where they go. Taxis are next and cost approximately £1.50 to £2 to go anywhere in the city.

Anyway enjoy your time in Chisinau and if you need anything further I can be contacted at [email protected]

Good luck

Rof

Hi Rapbom! I really appreciate your email, I found it very informative...thank you :) I've just read it at loud to my husband and we are both grateful and already feel more excited than worried about moving to Chisinau. We are really happy to hear the positive feedback on living in Moldova, as we are going to spend there approximately 4 years!
Thank you again :) & regards
Ewa

Moldovan? The language exists? I thought it was Romanian... o.o (My best friend is Romanian and he is adamant about Moldova being part of Romania that was stolen by Russia and should be reunited to Romania...)

The Constitution of 1994 states that the national language of the Republic of Moldova is Moldovan, and its writing is based on the Latin alphabet.