EASIEST DRIVING ROUTE TO MALTA

I will be driving to Malta this August from the UK.  I am trying to find the route that has the least amount of driving - I realise that the route I have chosen is not the shortest or cheapest route.  I currently live in Hertfordshire.  So far I have come up with Herts to Harwich - then:

1. Harwich to Hoek, Netherlands-NL (Ferry 7 hrs)
2. Hoek to Hertogenbosch (Diving 1 1/4 hrs)
3. Hertogenbosh - NL  to Livorno (Train 20 hrs)
4. Livorno - IT to Salerno (Driving 6 hrs)
5. Salerno IT to Palerno IT (Ferry 10 hrs)
6. Palermo IT to Pozzallo IT (Driving 3 1/2 hrs)
7. Pozzallo IT to Valletta MT (Ferry 1 3/4 hrs)

Driving time using route above is roughly around 11 hours which for me is a much easier/doable route.  Can anyone improve on this or suggest a better option/s please?

Newcomer to Malta wrote:

I will be driving to Malta this August from the UK.  I am trying to find the route that has the least amount of driving - I realise that the route I have chosen is not the shortest or cheapest route.  I currently live in Hertfordshire.  So far I have come up with Herts to Harwich - then:

1. Harwich to Hoek, Netherlands-NL (Ferry 7 hrs)
2. Hoek to Hertogenbosch (Diving 1 1/4 hrs)
3. Hertogenbosh - NL  to Livorno (Train 20 hrs)
4. Livorno - IT to Salerno (Driving 6 hrs)
5. Salerno IT to Palerno IT (Ferry 10 hrs)
6. Palermo IT to Pozzallo IT (Driving 3 1/2 hrs)
7. Pozzallo IT to Valletta MT (Ferry 1 3/4 hrs)

Driving time using route above is roughly around 11 hours which for me is a much easier/doable route.  Can anyone improve on this or suggest a better option/s please?

Have you checked that the ferry from Salerno is still operating. We tried to book it in November and it had stopped. In the end we drove to Naples and got the ferry to Catania.

Terry

Hello, we have just arrived from UK last Friday having driven over from Leamington spa Warwickshire.
It was a relatively good journey and the total cost was £1000 including ferries, 4 nights accommodation and tolls.
we got the ferry from Dover to Calais, then drove through France to Genoa where we got the ferry to Palermo (21 hours) we had an external cabin and it was a good crossing.
From Palermo we stopped in Enna (mid Sicily) overnight and then got the ferry from Pozzallo to Malta.

at this time of year the only ferry coming to Malta was from Pozzallo or possibly Catania as well. No direct ferry from Italy. PM me if you want more information. we spent loads of time checking it all out before we left UK. Wish we had been able to spend more time on our journey but felt we could not because of our loaded car and security! Loved going through the Alps and Mont Blanc tunnel, also loved Sicily! Enna is in the middle of sicily and we stayed in Hotel Sicilia which had almost 360degree views on the top of a mountain...views of Etna. Beautiful!!!

Thank you so much for responding.  Your journey/trip sounds incredibly interesting.  I suspect we will have the same problem re a "loaded car".  Detailing the cost is very helpful also - thank you.  What type of accommodation were you able to get and did you have to stray/divert much from your route in order to find it/stay there and was the parking secure as your vehicle was loaded up? You stated 21 hours for the ferry crossing can you tell me how many hours you spent driving overall?  Your route sounds very straight-forward.  I am currently looking at every possibility and trying to make sure that I cover every eventuality.  Is there any other considerations you feel I need to make or be aware of?

Where have you relocated to in Malta?  I will be going to Marsaxlokk.

I appreciate your response and help

Best regards