Latest experiences/feedbacks on TESOL Institutes

Hi

Again the TESOL institutes topic has been discussed many times But it would be great if friends could share their experiences on getting TESOL (not CELTA) certs in HCMC.  My research shows TEFL International, Compass are considered ok. But someone also suggested that getting it online from ITTT also suffices as it also gives a TESOL degree and theres a huge cost difference   ITTT ($349) vs $1400 from TEFL International.   

Thanks!!

You should never pay that much, go online....

Hi !

I am a teacher myself, teaching English in Vietnam. I know It's a huge saving between taking class online and in person for TESOL , but there is a downside to it. All Language Centers in Vietnam do not accept certification taking online. Maybe other countries make an exception. But the requirement for a qualified TESOL are:  120 hours + in class training, with at least 6 hours of observe teaching practices. If you have additional question, you can pm me.

Pony up for a CELTA or just get a sub-$50 online "certification", no middle ground really. Good schools will look for the former, and offer appropriately higher wages. Bad schools will barely glance at the latter, if they even bother asking.

My experience has been that if a school won't accept a distance, or online, TESOL it will say so in their ad. 

The CELTA is the most respected teaching cert. in Vietnam, though most don't have a clue what it is.  I always get a kick out of seeing an ad seeking a kid's teacher, with a CELTA.  The A stands for adult, so they want a teacher that's been trained to teach adults?

There is an extension called the  CELTA-YL (Young Learners). that costs an additional $800 +, as well as another 4 weeks in CELTA-ville.,  ILA has he monopoly on that, here in Vietnam.

I used to recommend the TEFL International course,until Compass took over. 'Nuff said.

If I were doing a course that included a practicum, I'd probably go with AVSE:  AVSE TESOL COURSE CALANDER

There's also the option of an online certificate through AMA.  Norwood English is the actual provider and the course isn't bad.  The price is $250 and there's supposed to be an option that allows you to complete a classroom component through AMA, if you want.  When I discussed that aspect of their course with the representative at AMA, she basically told me that they never hold the course/ forget it.  At least she was honest.

AMA/NORWOOD ENGLISH TESOL

After searching around quite a bit, I decided to go with ontesol - http://www.ontesol.com. You can do the practicum anywhere and, for a fee, they give you the option of going on hiatus and finishing later. The option was good for me because I started graduate school and got overwhelmed with other work.

yttocs wrote:

After searching around quite a bit, I decided to go with ontesol - http://www.ontesol.com. You can do the practicum anywhere and, for a fee, they give you the option of going on hiatus and finishing later. The option was good for me because I started graduate school and got overwhelmed with other work.

How do they conduct the practicum?  Via webcam?

Mark, I read online quite a few complaints about AVSE, why do you think they would be a good place to do TESOL.

I based my opinion strictly on a few things that I read on here that were written by Peter Gouge, the director.  I like what he had to say.

One thing was that they were placing teachers in the public school system, like many other language centers. 

I'll admit that i haven't researched them that much.  I haven't had a need to.

Hello everyone
I am in Saigon looking at doing a Tesol and can not believe how expensive the courses are here.
Are the prices being asked $1100.00 to $ 1600.00 genuine or will the switched on student find that the price can be reduced .
Any help from knowledgeable folk welcome, first hand experience please.

Yes thats the price, dont forget all testing has to be checked by the entity who is running the program or by people such as the British Council.Do the CELTA course it seems to have more clout when applying for the better jobs.

Peter Jones,you have very little to offer except advertise selling a Tefl certificate.Going by your English you are not a Peter Jones,but in fact a Vietnamese passing yourself off as a westerner.

Peter Jones is a scam artist.  He like one of those Somalian people that send you a check for $1000 and ask you to send back $300 cash for paperwork purpose.  Than he keep money while check bounce.... ke ke ke ka ka ka

I competed an online  TEFL 120 hr course, ( in 30 hrs ), I first asked them if it was suitable for teaching students who have had no exposure to English, i.e, 4 -5 yr olds, , they assured me it was .
  It was useless, I didn't learn anything that I had already worked out for myself.
I think it would have a 100% pass rate for the final test, they showed you the results of the previous tests, ( with a chance to correct, and therefore get the necessary pass rate,) but they never show you the final test????
IT took over a month to get the Cert, they had to send a second one,, the first must have been lost in transit, ( that's if they actually sent it in the first place ).
  This outfit, ( Love TEFL ),  guaranteed positions in all countries with their Certs as well, ( for Mr Peter Goodluck Jonothon Jones's info ).

yes,that's why so many people warn against online courses. You really need to have classroom interaction.

colinoscapee wrote:

yes,that's why so many people warn against online courses. You really need to have classroom interaction.

I seem to have done it the other way around.